Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

KOTOR MMO confirmed

http://kotaku.com/5026492/yep-next-kotor-is-mmo

As EA confirmed today, the next Knights of the Old Republic is going to be a MMO. From Portfolio.com:

"We've got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development," said Riccitiello. The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon. "And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about — in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it."

Does Riccitiello mean the oft rumored Knights of the Old Republic Online? "Yes," he said.

Watch out World of Warcraft, you just might have some serious competition here.

Hmmm, compelling. This is probably the most interested I've ever been in an MMO, but I'm still not sold. Now a Call of Duty MMO from Infinity Ward.... I'd be sold.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

the reason kotor was so amazing was the storyline, an mmo wont have the same effect,

but it will be awsome. just sucks that if it is like WoW, you got to play it like a full time job to keep up with people

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

Yeah, I mean, it'd probally be better than SWG, but still. It'll lose a LOT on the story side, and that's where the magic of the games was. It'll turn into a "everyone is Jedi and runs around killing each other" game, and I won't want to play that, even if I could afford a second MMO.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Thats what I was just thinking, wouldn't it just be a large MMO filled with jedi's and siths running all over the place? But then again, maybe they'll focus more on the plot in the game and set different jedi and sith classes to force people to have varying abilities?

I still haven't played those KOTOR games. *kicks myself*

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

If they end up doing a free online play like Guild Wars, I'll probally pick it up, but just to see what it's like. I just can't see how they'll translate it over and keep the rich storylines they've had.

acsig2016.jpg

I could see something like Guild Wars, where there's a PVP part and an RPG part. You can pair up with friends to do the RPG part if you want, but that's where the story is. And people that just want to run around and kill each other can get on the PVP side. That way, you could still get involved in a story and have a chance to explore other worlds, but it won't be full of over-powered Jedi and Sith running around ganking everyone.

acsig2016.jpg

it will be SWG set in kotor times, with a hint of WoW

Gw cant be compared to WoW as an mmo, i solo'ed the game

they will have to make it more fun then wow, but as big, and as interactive to keep ahead

as age of conan, aion, and warhammer are all out this year, they will have to top them

and cant rely on SW fans alone,

KOTOR is too good for an mmo imo, it is a story driven game, and an MMO diesnt have a story really,

sigpic1620_11.gif

An MMO can have a good story, it's why I'm still playing FFXI. And yeah, GW can be soloed, but you can also involve other players on the RPG side, and there's a big PVP side where people can run around and do raid-type things and kill each other. Personally, I'd like to see the next one as more of a single-player/multi-player thing, like Halo. You can do the storyline with friends, but there's also the multi-player maps to have free-for-all kill fests. I'd enjoy that a lot more than an MMO.

acsig2016.jpg

KOTOR won't translate well into an MMO, I just don't see it happening. It's too story driven and with the way MMO's are turning out these days that won't work. There's to much of a focus on PVP in MMO's these days (Aion, Warhammer, and AoC all being very good examples of this) and story is second (and in WoW's case non-existent).

Sad to say but considering KOTOR's heavy reliance on Jedi/Sith for story and characters this will turn into nothing more then a huge epeen contest to see who has the most powerful Jedi/Sith. Sigh, just leave KOTOR the way it is and don't change it.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

10000 sith vs 6 jedi

who wants to force heal, when you can force kill ;p

it will probably be a mix of WoW and SWG, a lota repitition (instance grinding)

i can promise it wont be free. GW is free because it is a very basic game, and extremly straight forward, with little use of GM's unlike WoW

im not bashing GW, its unique approach to MMO made it popukar and enjoyable

where as WoW revolutionised MMO's

but WoW become a full time job to play end game: 3/4 raid a week, each about 3-6hrs -> not even considered hardcore, you could spend 1 month playing daily and not get any character improvements, or just pvp stupidly (tho WoW pvp is like CS with swords and magic) and skip instancing, but then you dont have much fun

any new MMO will have to have an original PVP system, a large selection of items / gear. easy advancement, but depending on dedication used, more options, such as a trophie system, clear character customisation. and a huge lush environment. with each area haveing a purpose and personality, and original classes / professions

im 100% sure KOTOR cant deliver originality, and story

i just cant see any good making one of the best pc games ever into a MMO, it is a pathetic attempt to milk money, KOTOR is a movie that a player controls, a game that really kept ppl gripped every second, now they have fucked it, i hope George Lucas chokes on a pretzel. then realises how freeking rich he is, and decided to make products that people love, not items that will get him $15/month from millions of people. if he wants a new mmo, then make one, but dont screw the KOTOR franchise please

THASTS MY RANT ;p

sigpic1620_11.gif