Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Anheuser-Busch sold to InBev for $52B

See ya Bud

Anheuser-Busch's board has accepted a $52 million takeover offer from Belgian brewer InBev, creating the world's largest brewer, the two companies announced late Sunday evening.

The company will be called Anheuser-Busch InBev, and InBev CEO Carlos Brito will be the CEO of the combined company.

"Together, Anheuser-Busch and InBev will accomplish much more than each can on its own," Brito told reporters in a conference call Monday morning.

The announcement ends a month of hostility between the brewer of Budweiser and InBev, which traded lawsuits when InBev tried to oust A-B's board.

"We always tried to engage with the Anheuser-Busch board, and now as a combined team, we want to look forward as opposed to looking backward," Brito says.

The directors of the combined company will be comprised of InBev's board, A-B President and CEO August Busch IV and one other current or former member of A-B's board.

The North American headquarters for the combined company will be St. Louis, and Brito promised to keep all 12 of A-B's U.S. breweries open.

When asked about the potential for job cuts in St. Louis and elsewhere, Brito skirted the question by pointing out that InBev has added 12,000 jobs in the last three years, and that A-B's plan to cut costs and and offer employees early retirement will still be executed.

Budweiser, Stella Artois and Beck's will become the company's leading global brands, using InBev's existing distribution network, according to a combined statement from the company.

Reports surfaced Friday that A-B's board was poised to accept the offer from InBev, which sweetened its offer by $5 to $70 a share in an effort to seal a friendly deal.

InBev, brewer of Stella Artois, unveiled its original $46.3 billion, $65-a-share offer in June, a number the brewer of Budweiser dismissed as insultingly low.

InBev then sought to oust the American company's board and replace it with its own slate, while A-B accused InBev of misleading shareholders about its financial backing and blasted it for having operations in Cuba.

"When I look at other American companies that have done this [extended global reach] before, like McDonald's, Pepsi, Frito-Lays," Brito says, "I feel very excited about how we have the footprint, knowledge of the market and America in a bottle."

St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. (NYSE: BUD), through its Anheuser-Busch Inc. subsidiary, is the leading domestic brewer, holding a 48.5 percent share of U.S. beer sales. The company also manufactures and recycles aluminum cans and operates theme parks.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

My dad showed me an article about this Friday and I didn't believe it. Then I started seeing articles pop up all over the place about it. It kind of sucks since Bud is no longer going to be an American owned beer company. O well, it was a good move on Inbev's part. Makes you wonder why Bug didn't just try and buy them out.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Every Belgian beer I've ever tasted was rancid. Not like I ever drank bud regularly anyways.

The belgians ain't got shit on us Irish :P

F@$k Busch, Drink Guinness:beer:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

I wonder if they'll continue to make Bud using GE products

remember this?

XPZlYmCqALY

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Spiced rum for the win :P. Me and the captain make it happen.

Me and the Captain in front of a huge after party.

http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l350/MissMuffitxxx/Spooky/Me%20and%20the%20fun%20times/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

I don't care for bud, I like Coors Light and an occasional Boddingtons. But to think that bud would sell out, I didn't think it'd ever happen. Does anyone know, aside from Sam Adams, how many other major brewers are still owned and operated by US companies? O_O

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Sign in to follow this