Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Cool, wet spring dampening corn crop hopes

Consumers will be spending even more for groceries this summer

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - In a year of rising food prices and high fuel costs that are creating pressure to produce more ethanol, the country could really use a perfect corn crop.So far, it isn't happening.

And depending on the right mix of sun, heat, rain and cool, it could drive prices up even further. That may mean consumers will be spending even more for groceries like soda, cookies, cake or anything that contains high fructose corn syrup and for any meat that relies on corn as animal feed.

A cold, wet spring put crop planting weeks behind schedule across much of the U.S. Corn Belt and drastically slowed growth where corn is already in the ground.

Now, farmers in parts of Iowa, Illinois and Indiana are replanting corn that either sat under water in flooded fields too long to germinate or can't break through sodden, compacted soils. And the cool, soggy weather continues, the last thing a heat-loving crop like corn needs.

*sigh*

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

now is a good time to stock up on staples before you can't afford them >.<

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

This may be a major setback considering the US grows only a handful of crops with everything else exported.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Sign in to follow this