Sign in to follow this  
Kelene

dishwasher safe items???

Andrew and I just bought a new dishwasher. The old one has been broken for the past five years and thus I have hand washed everything. We finally decided that we needed a new dishwasher. It came on Wednesday evening and my father and I installed it today.

So my question is that I have a lot of children plastic wear (cups and bowls). Most of the items are Gerber brand. Are they safe on the top shelf of the dishwasher? With the cups, would the leak-proof valves be able to go into the dishwasher? I don't want my first experience with the new washer to end in melted plastic and a huge mess.

Any advice?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why will plastic melt? I thought a dishwasher only spills out water (maybe warm) at high speeds in all directions inside ... hehe I have no clue about dishwashers, they look cool from the outside though, never had one X'D.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Ohhhh I sees ^_^ ... I prefer to use my hands to scrub on my badass failure cooking experiments.

Does the dishwasher use hot water from the main water source or does it take the water from the source and heat it before spitting it inside? Seems like a stupid question cos either way you're paying more electricity. My hot water is not free and is controlled by the gas ...

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

You're going to want to buy something like this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2792468 also called 'bottle baskets'... the valves and lids, if they get sucked out of the various dishwasher chambers, can melt on the heating coil on the bottom of the dishwasher.

I think I had originally bought one of those when I first found out that I was pregnant. But then the dishwasher broke so I put it away. Now where is it? I'll have to find it again cause it will definitely help sanitize many of the smaller pieces.

Thank you everyone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]