Sign in to follow this  
slippers

The Ring (Spoilers are welcome)

I have not seen this movie and probably never will but I do have some questions. I know the basic storyline, since someone told me the ending already, and I watched scary movie 3. I also watched a few clips of the Ring from youtube. Anyways, I just wanted to know how did Samara knew how to use the phone, assuming she's probably from 1800s (the way her mother was dressed), and where did she calling her victims from? Was it the Cabin? And was there a connection between the Naomi Watts' character calling Nick, when he was about to be killed, and Samara' calling, when people view the cursed video right after? Because Samara came straight out of the TV instead of calling Nick, but it was Naomi calling him right after he watched the tape.

Here's the cursed tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBgB2FzeY8w

yougorelena_slippers.jpg.c0d3609d8437d663780655f59789e591.jpg

lol none of those questions where ever answered in the film. It's a horror film so you cant expect them to use logic throughout the whole movie. My only guess is she called them using her brain.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

OMG! This movie scared the crap out of me. Especially the dead chick in the closet. I never got that image out of my head.

I have no idea how that creepy little girl called people, since she was trapped in a well for so long. A cell phone? LOL. I have to agree with goku's brain theory. Watch the movie and it will answer all your questions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

Samara is long dead from the get go so its a bit of a what happens post death kinda story. Samara is someone who died badly and like in The Grudge some part of her remained earthbound (the whole tormented soul gig). She would probably be classified as a poltergeist because she is capable of physical interaction with the living world (phone tv and killin people). She probably manipulates peoples phones/tv's etc from their own home...where they watch the video O.o Poltergeist activity is usually localized but phenomenon has been documented as following individuals. The cabin would be the epicenter; Samara is most powerful there because that is where she suffered and died.

Its a bluring of old religious beliefs (Shinto, native American etc) the person who dies sucky can become a ghost/demon/pick yer monster that kills people.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Did she touch people? I thought that people died because they looked at her and they died of fright.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

lol none of those questions where ever answered in the film. It's a horror film so you cant expect them to use logic throughout the whole movie. My only guess is she called them using her brain.

Lol. True, but she's dead so how can she still use her brain?^_^; It would be funny if the movie showed her looking through yellow pages and trying to dial the soon to be victims.

Samara is long dead from the get go so its a bit of a what happens post death kinda story. Samara is someone who died badly and like in The Grudge some part of her remained earthbound (the whole tormented soul gig). She would probably be classified as a poltergeist because she is capable of physical interaction with the living world (phone tv and killin people). She probably manipulates peoples phones/tv's etc from their own home...where they watch the video O.o Poltergeist activity is usually localized but phenomenon has been documented as following individuals. The cabin would be the epicenter; Samara is most powerful there because that is where she suffered and died.

Its a bluring of old religious beliefs (Shinto, native American etc) the person who dies sucky can become a ghost/demon/pick yer monster that kills people.

It's kinda weird that all of a sudden she became knowledgeable of all these new technology and can manipulate easily regardless of the distance. If she had such a power, she could have controlled the worker who was building the cabin and made him dig or open up the sealed lid on that well she was buried in. I don't know why she has a grudge (I haven't seen the movie Grudge either) on the world in the first place, when she is the one messed with people's mind, eventually driving them to go crazy, or, worse, making them kill themselves. Why was she born evil? I think that question, and many others, should've been answered in the end instead of trying to set up a new sequel, the Ring 2, which I heard was a big disappointment.

Did she touch people? I thought that people died because they looked at her and they died of fright.

There was a scene I watched on youtube, I think it's the Ring 2, where Samara pulls in Naomi by grabbing her arms, via TV, and drags her down to the well. I thought she choked her victim to death or make them suffer in her grave. Naomi: "I'm not your fucking Mommy!!" LOL. I heard that movie sucked though and does no justice to explain Samara's complexed, and confusing, past.

Slippers, watch the original (Jap) version of Ringu, Ringu 2 and the 3rd movie that's pre-Ringu (in the exact order mentioned). Then move on to Hollywood's version, which doesn't follow the story from the original version, ofcourse don't even bother watching The Ring 2 (Hollywood version) for it's creepiness, but from what I remember of the movie, they did describe a bit here and there in it, for pure information sake you could watch it. But, I recommend you watch the Jap versions first.

Ju-On was incredible (Jap version), and Hollywood's version was lame. The same with Dark Water.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Slippers, watch the original (Jap) version of Ringu, Ringu 2 and the 3rd movie that's pre-Ringu (in the exact order mentioned). Then move on to Hollywood's version, which doesn't follow the story from the original version, ofcourse don't even bother watching The Ring 2 (Hollywood version) for it's creepiness, but from what I remember of the movie, they did describe a bit here and there in it, for pure information sake you could watch it. But, I recommend you watch the Jap versions first.

Ju-On was incredible (Jap version), and Hollywood's version was lame. The same with Dark Water.

How was it different from the Japanese version? You can tell me. :D It is not my intention to scare myself silly but I thought the character Samara was interesting. I wanted to watch the Ghost ship for ages but I felt it would keep me up at nights. When I finally gathered my courage to watch it a few months ago, I ended up laughing my ass off. The storyline was a total joke. It should be in a comedy section in the rental store. What I want to see is, hopefully another silly horror movie, the Nun but I'm giving my excuses not to. I try to avoid anything Asian made horror movies since they really do the job well. Last time I watched Asian horror movies were probably 15 years ago, unless you count Suicide Club..that was a bit odd yet eerie as hell. Chinese horror stories were awesome since it still had kung fu in it. LOL.

Anyways, this seriously cracked me up.^_^;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-_1UAEc70Q

Hollywood needs to stop remaking japanese movies, old classics, and books. They've been messing everything up lately.

Yea, I agree. Hollywood isn't just creative anymore. They'll keep juicing whatever they can get their hands on from more sequels and remakes of old, or even new movies from other countries (A totally bombed movie The Lakehouse was based on a popular Korean drama I heard and I'm sure there will be more to come), movies when they don't even need to be remade in the first place, like the already remade version of Batman, starring Michael Keaton, in 1992. It scared the crap out of everyone when there was rumor that there was going to be Titanic 2! O_O A classic movie like the Planet of Apes shouldn't have been remade either, since I heard it turned out lame, and looked crap. But I think they are finally getting over themselves with super hero theme at least. Urg. That trend went way too long. :\

Edited by slippers

if you don't understand the american remake there's no way the japanese version will make any sense to you. it was made to scare the crap out of you--not to follow any logic.

But can you save me? From the ranks of the freaks who could never love anyone...

Anyways, this seriously cracked me up.^_^;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-_1UAEc70Q

ROTFLMAO! X'D :spit:

I thought The Ring was pretty good. I wrote a review for it a while ago, heres the link if you want to read it. It doesn't have spoilers btw. :P

http://www.ancientclan.org/reviews/thering.php

Ring 2 tried to explain everything about Samara's past and how she died, yada yada. It was ok, but not really scary. I haven't watch Ringu or the other two original movies but I probably will some day.

I like The Grudge tho. I saw most of the Ju-On and I didn't really care for it. The special effects shadows were horrible and most of the dead/ghosts had noticeble makeup on. eh. Its probably like subs and dubs in anime for me. It would have probably helped my opnion on it if I watched the originals before the remakes.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

^ Nice review. :P Yea, I liked the others and the sixth sense because of their endings. No movie can pull that off now since people will be expecting that kind of surprise ending.

I watched 30 mins of Grudge 2 yesterday and I thought it was so boring. It wasn't even scary. And yea, those ghosts looked so fake, yet I couldn't tell what the heck was going on--maybe because I haven't seen the first one I guess. They kept shifting scenes back and forth from Japan to the US and I'm like okay whatever.

I think I'll be better off just watch Ring 2 first, since I only wanted to know what had happened to her.

Yeah, Grudge 2 confused me at first. After watching it a second time thru it made alot more sense. Its like two seperate stories merging into one. The things that happened in Japan and the things that happened in the US and they kept switching back and forth, but in the end you see how its all connected.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg