Sign in to follow this  
Kite

need help with my computer

i reinstalled windows onto both my laptop and desktop using the cd's that come with them for whet ever so reason at the time,

and both suffer from the same problem:

certian programs wont switch off , pretty much every bit torrent program. every p2p program, and my internet browser keeps crashing shortly after using them, and i cant shut the program down.

i close the program, yet it is still running in my process tab on my task manager, and when i choose end process on them i does nothing.

and because windows cant shut them down, it cant restart itself

anyone know what this problem is, as it is on both my computers which used different OS cd's for there installation

i reinstalled windows several times on my desktop that im going crazy. anyone come up with a solution, i really dont want to buy vista in a hope installing a new OS will fix everything

Edited by Kite

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

Have you done any windows updates on then new installs? Chances are your programs are looking for software upgrades or something but since they cant find them their locking up. Either that or a windows update broke them.

to forcefully kill a process, open up a command prompt and type in taskkill /f programname.exe

This will kill the program and remove it from memory.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Have you done any windows updates on then new installs? Chances are your programs are looking for software upgrades or something but since they cant find them their locking up. Either that or a windows update broke them.

to forcefully kill a process, open up a command prompt and type in taskkill /f programname.exe

This will kill the program and remove it from memory.

im reinstalling xp now :_:

my fuckin desktop keeps crashing

both my computers seem to lack the ability to shut down programs,

and yes they are fully updated, is it possible that they ar missing certian drivers or registries?

also do you think that buying vista will sort this out? or will i need to buy a new HDrive if the problem isdeeper then the OS

sigpic1620_11.gif

another problem is that my router wont connect via ethernet

only usb,

and usb 12mbs

ethernet 100mbs

my devices only reconises my router when i use usb, oncwe i unplug the usb it doesnt know it is there and i cant go online

thank to anyone who can help,

im going crazy atm, fucking computers crashing

sigpic1620_11.gif

after installing a new OS normally you have to go through a lot to get your old stuff running again. If in the past you had to install drivers on your PC for your router then chances are you will have to do it again (go find the cd that came with the router and pop it into your pc). The thing with USB is that USB has the info programmed into the plug (ie. plug and play) so that's why it works without any issues. Ethernet should work without any issues but I'm guessing your network card's driver needs to be updated or its not configured right.

The first thing id do after reinstalling XP would be to run windows update and get all that updated. Run it a few times since most things wont show up all at once. Once windows update is done check for new drivers for your graphics card, network card and any other important hardware things. If theres any new drivers, download them and install.

After that start installing the software you plan to use and make sure anything the software needs (ie. java, python, .net) is all up to date as well.

Then start testing. If something brakes or doesn't run post back here.

Personally, I don't recommend Vista to anyone. I've dealt with it and find it a pain in the ass to work with. Most software does not work for it yet, most drivers are not compatible with it yet, requires you to buy better hardware just to get the user interface to load...it's basically crap in my opinion. I'd stick with XP for another year at the very least. Vista still has a few service packs that need to come out before its deemed "usable".

sig.php

cheers for the help.

i got the updates and now it works via ethernet ^^

but i still have the problem of my computer not being able to shut down certain applications, such as any torrent software other then BitTornado

tornado is almost like a download manager as opposed to a proper torrent program

Edited by Kite

sigpic1620_11.gif

yeah best thing to do is like goku said...after reinstall do updates until you cant get anymore then start installing your shit....and if you do get vista dont get anything lower then 64bit premium cause the lesser ones are just a overglorified XP :P just make sure your computers specs are up to par with its recommended specs....its not as bad as goku makes it out to be cause not everyone uses a computer for things he does :P

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

whats the differemce between the 32 and 64 versions?

im not sure if i will get it just yet, but ill try anything to rid this problem

sigpic1620_11.gif

theres a lot of reasons why you should get 64 over 32bit windows.

Heres just a few speed, almost all programs are being programmed for 64bit now, better performance.

As for your bittorrent problem. What clients are you using and what clients are having problems shutting down? If they require python or java make sure you've updated them.

Also is there any other programs not shutting down correctly on your pc?

sig.php

Off Topic:

Ya know, if that came to your mind first when I asked you, then it indeed must be it! You slave driver ... leave your poor compy alone *pat pat* I bet it's been crying behind your back over every completed pr0n download ... like my Chii does sometimes.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.