Pchan

iTunes 'biggest US music seller'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7329886.stm

Apple's iTunes has overtaken supermarket group Wal-Mart to become the largest music retailer in the US, an independent study has said.

Market research firm NPD said iTunes surpassed Wal-Mart in January and February if 12 downloads are considered equal to the sale of one CD album.

Steve Knopper, a reporter for Rolling Stone magazine, said the news showed the big change in music retailing.

iTunes has sold more than four billion songs since its launch in 2003.

'Important trend'

Eddy Cue, iTunes vice president, said the Apple unit was "thrilled" by the findings of the NPD survey.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif It wasn't that long ago that Apple was proud of the fact that they were number four and rising and then number three and number two end_quote_rb.gif

Michael Gartenberg, Jupiter Research

More than 50 million customers have now used iTunes since it started.

While iTunes continues to dominate the music download market, it faces a growing number of competitors.

Social networking site MySpace is just the latest to join the market, launching an online music service in partnership with three major music companies - Universal, Sony BMG and Warner.

ITunes' more established rivals include eMusic and Napster.

MySpace users will now be able to listen to music and watch music videos free of charge, only paying for what they want to download.

Record business analyst Michael Gartenberg of Jupiter Research said iTunes surpassing Wal-Mart "underscores a very important trend in the industry".

"It wasn't that long ago that Apple was proud of the fact that they were number four and rising and then number three and number two."

More than 50 million customers have used iTunes since it started.

Meh, I buy regular cds.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I only use iTues if it is a song I don't want to buy a whole CD to get, otherwize I'm with you, GG. :/

"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."--Ken Gor, Ying hung boon sik II

[sIGPIC]Dattebayo!!![/sIGPIC]

Thank you to everyone who has ever made me sigs, you are all wonderful!

well from my personal experience...its cause you have a CD player Piraan :P

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

X'D I bought a cd player so I could listen to my cds hahaha ... man, it cost me 60 odd bucks and it's a little over a month and a half old me thinks ^_^. I run about, air guitar, slide and skid around with it hehe ...

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

you should all ditch iTunes and use Amazon.com to buy mp3s. They are all DRM free and like 90% of the time are only 89 cents instead of 99 cents

But can you save me? From the ranks of the freaks who could never love anyone...