Sign in to follow this  
slippers

Which is easier? Trignometry or Math for Liberal Arts?

Has anyone taken one of those classes? I have no idea what Math for Liberal Arts is.

Please help. Either that or I could take a literature class but I suck at writing essay^_^; But if I take another math class, which I suck at too, I have to take 2 more science classes, which I probably suck at that too.

yougorelena_slippers.jpg.c0d3609d8437d663780655f59789e591.jpg

Well, depends on what you like or are inclined to.

Trigo or Trigonometry is basically anything that has to do with Right-angled Triangles, and I'm assuming the study material would involved Trigo functions like sine (which's the opposite side of the angle *divided by* hypotenuse of the triangle), cosine (which's the adjacent side of the angle *divided by* hypotenuse of the triangle), and problem solving. I remember most of it because I re-read my Math texts last year when I was bored or waiting for a One Piece batch of episodes to download X'D. There're also a bunch of theorems involved, and the application to that may be through geometric problems involving triangles. In any case, this could get complicated depending on your actual course work. Do you know what chapters or parts of Trigo would be covered? It's good fun! C*square*= A*square + B*square* ... 1 + cot*square* A = cosec*square* A (I think!) ... cos© = cos(a) cos(B) + sin(a) sin(B) sin© ... sin*square*A + cos*square*A = 1, and so forth. But, depending on the level of your current diploma/ degree course, you may not have to go into much detail, so check that with your faculty.

I'm a supergeek for Math!!!

Not sure what Mathematics For Liberal Arts entails, google it to see what comes up. Usually university Professors would have, either the entire study material or the chapters covered for that course, online.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I think Mathematics For Liberal Arts is a more advanced form of word problems. My friend took something like this since she wasn't good in Trig. She still found it hard though.

Trigs all about memorization of formulas. If you can memorize them then you will breeze through the class. If you have a bad memory when it comes to math, like me, then you may have a hard time with the class. Personaly I took it anyway, and then took astronamy for one of my required science classes :P.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Which is easier? World of Warcraft.

Is it like a starcraft? Well, I sucked at anything craft in it, so I'll probably suck at it too.

Well, depends on what you like or are inclined to.

Trigo or Trigonometry is basically anything that has to do with Right-angled Triangles, and I'm assuming the study material would involved Trigo functions like sine (which's the opposite side of the angle *divided by* hypotenuse of the triangle), cosine (which's the adjacent side of the angle *divided by* hypotenuse of the triangle), and problem solving. I remember most of it because I re-read my Math texts last year when I was bored or waiting for a One Piece batch of episodes to download X'D. There're also a bunch of theorems involved, and the application to that may be through geometric problems involving triangles. In any case, this could get complicated depending on your actual course work. Do you know what chapters or parts of Trigo would be covered? It's good fun! C*square*= A*square + B*square* ... 1 + cot*square* A = cosec*square* A (I think!) ... cos© = cos(a) cos(B) + sin(a) sin(B) sin© ... sin*square*A + cos*square*A = 1, and so forth. But, depending on the level of your current diploma/ degree course, you may not have to go into much detail, so check that with your faculty.

I'm a supergeek for Math!!!

Not sure what Mathematics For Liberal Arts entails, google it to see what comes up. Usually university Professors would have, either the entire study material or the chapters covered for that course, online.

Lol!! Damn. Reading math texts because you were bored?

I wish I was interested in math like you and really good at maths. When I took college algebra, I got a C on first test. Then I practiced over to death and pulled an A on the final grade. I thought I had done with and never had to face it ever again..;_; I just don't like graphing, since my calculator is little messed up too and I don't know how to reset back to normal or whatever--I messed it up a bit by playing games instead of paying attention in math class during HS.^_^; I went up to precalc in HS but I just couldn't take it anymore. That was something my brain couldn't handle at all. It was a whole new level for me urg.

If trigonometry is similar to college algebra (I'm sure it's very different, since you went all the trouble to explaining it to me hehe, but at least work ethics will be the same?), then I guess it's worth a try. I had googled it before and maths for liberal arts looked very..well..look at it yourself. X'D

http://www.math.fau.edu/hoffman/mgf1106/MLA1fappSam1.htm

3. The Swampy Sandwich Shoppe gives you a choice of rye bread, whole wheat or pita bread for your sandwich. You get a choice of butter or mayonnaise, and a choice of roast beef, ham, salami, bologna or pastrami. How many different sandwiches does Swampy sell?

LOL. I mean, WTF.

I think Mathematics For Liberal Arts is a more advanced form of word problems. My friend took something like this since she wasn't good in Trig. She still found it hard though.

Trigs all about memorization of formulas. If you can memorize them then you will breeze through the class. If you have a bad memory when it comes to math, like me, then you may have a hard time with the class. Personaly I took it anyway, and then took astronamy for one of my required science classes :P.

The thing about it is that prerequisite for both maths for liberal arts and Trigonometry are basic maths classes. But maths for liberal arts is listed between statistics and calculus so you could be right. I hate word problems and it sounds difficult without formula to dictate how you should solve and not just randomly.

I just don't know, maybe I'll better off at literature class, but I don't mind the formula, as long as I don't have to think too much that won't confuse me. It should be much better than creating thesis for literature class that I don't give a damn about--if analyzing about stories, heck yea, if analyzing about texts or styles of literature? forget it. I had to drop British Anglo-Saxon class last fall semester because I just couldn't write 4-5 pages comparing two different Beowulf translation passages dealing with syntax, tone, and diction crap.

For science classes, I'll probably take biology and geology (how hard memorizing rocks could be >_< ). I don't think they offer astronomy here. I have to take 2 more science classes if I decided to take maths class. Gah. I can't drop out anymore because they set a new rule that you can only drop out 6 classes and I didn't even realized it when I dropped my literature class. I have to go down with the ship if I mess it up.

I just need to figure out what to take for summer class. If I'm taking any kind of maths, then maybe I should avoid 6 weeks classes.

ehh the joys of college lol.

Think about it this way, is your major going to require Math or English more in the real world when you get a job? Figure that out and pick the one you will actually use more. Even if its going to be more work, at least you know you will learn something useful. I took Trig over the summer and it was one of those 6 week things. That was the worst choice I could ever make. It was way to fast pasted for me and I just barely passed the class.

sig.php

i took calculus and i liked it because the answers were definite. if i got an answer wrong i could trace it back and see exactly where i messed up.

at my university math for liberal arts was real-life applications of math. like the math used by the electoral college during a presedential campaign or something. my calc teacher said it's more difficult because it's definitely a lot more abstract but i guess it all depends on how you like to think.

But can you save me? From the ranks of the freaks who could never love anyone...

It all boils down to what the level of study material would be covered for your course. Trigo is based on theorems and formulas, but at an advanced level it could get worse, just as bad as Integration or Derivatives can get. I can't help but go back to my old texts while I took science, like early last year when I just got in to the US I couldn't remember Newton's 3rd law of Physics, grabbed a text and read the whole goddamn thing solving it's practice problems X'D. Review the syllabus for both subjects and check what they'd cover. Maybe you could ask a student who's already finished the course about what it covered/ etc. ... good chance to talk to a cute girl you might've been staring at unknowingly for the past few months *thumbs up*! Makes me wanna go back to school to do the things I didn't do!

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

When I took college algebra (basic college math) at my last college I'd of died without having taken Trig in high school because college algebra picks up where you left off in Trig and works its way from there going into Quadratics and shit. Then again your college might have different standards then mine did for Math (plus at my last college it was either Basic College Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, and 4 Calc classes to choose from when you had to take math). In my opinion Trig is a lot easier to understand then what they'll have you do in math (believe me, word problems on a college level are a pain to solve and require more abstract thinking then they did in the past).

Frankly take the lit class. I'm horrible in English based classes yet they're so much easier then Math classes, especially on the college level.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

yeah, and learning to communicate at a proficient level is REALLY helpful anywhere. If you're really good....you can make people believe almost anything ^_^

But can you save me? From the ranks of the freaks who could never love anyone...

I took Math for Liberal Arts. Ummm, it was OK. I took it because I was more interested in learning about how the electoral college worked than learning more algebra. I was only in it for a month or so before I was kicked out. I didn't know you had to get a C in Intermediate Algebra before moving on. I thought a D could cut it. Haha, silly.^_^;

Mayor Quimby: I'll admit I used the city treasury to fund the murder of my enemies, but as Gabbo would say, I'm a bad wittle boy.

ehh the joys of college lol.

Think about it this way, is your major going to require Math or English more in the real world when you get a job? Figure that out and pick the one you will actually use more. Even if its going to be more work, at least you know you will learn something useful. I took Trig over the summer and it was one of those 6 week things. That was the worst choice I could ever make. It was way to fast pasted for me and I just barely passed the class.

Hehe yea. >_<

I don't know because I haven't decided my major yet. Hmm..I don't think either would help me in the future. I just need to finish this requirements and then transfer to 4 year college. I could worry about more maths later, after picking my major (I'll probably face more maths than English, even though I'll try my best to avoid both), because I don't want to stress out on math too much right now. I mean, I already forgot how to do algebra now that I look back at study books that I bought to study, which I never bothered to look more than first page. When I skimmed through it though, the study guide was more crazy than the college algebra textbook. It could also depends on teachers. I had good teachers in college algebra and 2 of my English classes (the Lit class will be my 3rd English class, le sigh). Not that English is any better than Maths.

i took calculus and i liked it because the answers were definite. if i got an answer wrong i could trace it back and see exactly where i messed up.

at my university math for liberal arts was real-life applications of math. like the math used by the electoral college during a presedential campaign or something. my calc teacher said it's more difficult because it's definitely a lot more abstract but i guess it all depends on how you like to think.

My brother said calculus had no word problems, unlike precalc, and had easier time with calculus. Besides, I need precalc to get to calculus class. But I know that what may be easy for you and my brother, may be extremely difficult for me. Lol.

Woah, even a calculus teacher has said that it will be difficult to his/her calc students, so it must be really difficult.

It all boils down to what the level of study material would be covered for your course. Trigo is based on theorems and formulas, but at an advanced level it could get worse, just as bad as Integration or Derivatives can get. I can't help but go back to my old texts while I took science, like early last year when I just got in to the US I couldn't remember Newton's 3rd law of Physics, grabbed a text and read the whole goddamn thing solving it's practice problems X'D. Review the syllabus for both subjects and check what they'd cover. Maybe you could ask a student who's already finished the course about what it covered/ etc. ... good chance to talk to a cute girl you might've been staring at unknowingly for the past few months *thumbs up*! Makes me wanna go back to school to do the things I didn't do!

Physic is definitely a no no. It probably inovlves a lot of mathmatic problems. >_< I also think chemistry is a mistake for me if I decide to take the path to take 4 science classes. Arg. My classmate in Japanese class let me show me his requirements for business major. It had no trigonometry. It had college algebra and precalc and then so on with more advanced classes. He did gave me a link where I could check out the requirements for majors, but I haven't looked at it yet.

When I took college algebra (basic college math) at my last college I'd of died without having taken Trig in high school because college algebra picks up where you left off in Trig and works its way from there going into Quadratics and shit. Then again your college might have different standards then mine did for Math (plus at my last college it was either Basic College Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, and 4 Calc classes to choose from when you had to take math). In my opinion Trig is a lot easier to understand then what they'll have you do in math (believe me, word problems on a college level are a pain to solve and require more abstract thinking then they did in the past).

Frankly take the lit class. I'm horrible in English based classes yet they're so much easier then Math classes, especially on the college level.

Well, I'm not very confident in English, besides the fact that it is my 2nd language. If teachers didn't care about the grammar, at least I could relax a bit. I wrote 9 pages of essay, in less than 2 hours with ease (granted it was an open note/book test), for the finals in my History class last fall semester because he didn't care about the grammar and let us have write freely, as long as it was related to the question, of course. But with English, my thought freezes and I have no idea what to write because of pressures from page limits, grammar, and due dates. There really isn't any way to prepare like you do with math. With math, at least you can beat it to death with practices and homework, and expect to get a decent grade out of it. With English, without thesis and well thought-out examples and evidences, you are screwed. When Brit-lit teacher said at the beginning of the semester, "If you have 2 major grammar errors like sentence fragment, no matter how good your essay is, you will get an F", I freaked out and dropped the class as soon as he gave us an instruction to 1st Essay.^_^; But I do want to try world literature class (He explained to me that Brit-lit was the hardest of them all literature class this college had to offer when I had a chance to talk to him) because I really don't want more science classes.

I took Math for Liberal Arts. Ummm, it was OK. I took it because I was more interested in learning about how the electoral college worked than learning more algebra. I was only in it for a month or so before I was kicked out. I didn't know you had to get a C in Intermediate Algebra before moving on. I thought a D could cut it. Haha, silly.^_^;

Lol. I thought the D was passing grade too until someone pointed me out several weeks ago when I asked him about it.

----------------------------

Thank you guys.

I'm so glad I asked this question because my school described math for liberal arts as pretty basic and I was planning to register this week, although I was planning to look through its book before I do anything stupid.

I'll think it over this weekend and register for summer classes next week or so. If you have more suggestions, feel free to post them up. I'll consider what you all have said. Right now I'm thinking something like this-

I take Literature and Biology classes this summer. And if I *gasp* happen to fail the Literature class, I could take Trigonometry in the Fall.

Edited by slippers

I'm taking Math for Liberal Arts currently, and I must say. It has got to be one of the most easiest Math courses ever invented. It mostly entails Chance and probility, in the form of word problems.

Neji-Sig.gif[/url]

take just the basics so yer first year rolls ez

eng 101 and 102 are ez shit

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

take just the basics so yer first year rolls ez

eng 101 and 102 are ez shit

I already took them and I thought it was freaking hard. :s

"I had good teachers in college algebra and 2 of my English classes (the Lit class will be my 3rd English class, le sigh). Not that English is any better than Maths."

I had to write essay for ITSC in class today. I couldn't finish 1 page, single spaced, because I barely knew anything about Microsoft 2007.^_^: I only made it to little more than half page and I'm really thinking, "Wow, I really hate writing essays". :\

It could be changed to Biology and Geology for the Summer, and then take Trigonometry this Fall. If I fail Trigonometry then I don't know what I'll do.

I'm taking Math for Liberal Arts currently, and I must say. It has got to be one of the most easiest Math courses ever invented. It mostly entails Chance and probility, in the form of word problems.

I don't know what to do whaaa

I already took them and I thought it was freaking hard. :s

"I had good teachers in college algebra and 2 of my English classes (the Lit class will be my 3rd English class, le sigh). Not that English is any better than Maths."

I had to write essay for ITSC in class today. I couldn't finish 1 page, single spaced, because I barely knew anything about Microsoft 2007.^_^: I only made it to little more than half page and I'm really thinking, "Wow, I really hate writing essays". :\

It could be changed to Biology and Geology for the Summer, and then take Trigonometry this Fall. If I fail Trigonometry then I don't know what I'll do.

I don't know what to do whaaa

You can normally take them over again if you fail, as long as you're willing to pay more for the class. But I'd suggest asking your teacher about a math tutor. Most colleges have students offering free or cheap tutoring for specific subjects. This way you can do a one on one with someone your age that knows the subject and may know a better way of teaching it to you. Every college is different though, you may have to pay a small fee for the tutor. In My college, I helped some people learn xhtml and got paid $8 per student. Which wasn't allot but it was nice since I didn't have a lot to do in my free time.

sig.php

You can normally take them over again if you fail, as long as you're willing to pay more for the class. But I'd suggest asking your teacher about a math tutor. Most colleges have students offering free or cheap tutoring for specific subjects. This way you can do a one on one with someone your age that knows the subject and may know a better way of teaching it to you. Every college is different though, you may have to pay a small fee for the tutor. In My college, I helped some people learn xhtml and got paid $8 per student. Which wasn't allot but it was nice since I didn't have a lot to do in my free time.

I really don't want to fail. I just want everything to go smoothly since I'm way behind for normal people at my age. For example, my 1st English teacher was just one year older than me. My second English teacher was 2 year older than me. And I know that if I take, or speed up, more classes than now, I'll probably can't handle it, especially I have to take 2 or 4 science classes in the near future. What a nightmare..

The tutoring is free here but hardly there when I need them. My brother is really good at math so I would feel at least safe taking Trigonometry, however, if I take math for liberal arts, I'll be on my own. I tried to get to see tutors for my lit class once or twice and they weren't there, so I'm not too keen on relying on them.

Maybe I should make a poll and ask which class I should go for, literature or trigonometry rotfl.^_^; Maybe I should have stuck around with Brit-lit class..it wasn't that bad with daily reading and writing assignments. It was that damn essay that freaked me out. Teacher there was really considerate when I told him I wanted to drop that class and talked with me about what would be best for me if I wanted to try literature class again. Oh well, what's done is done. If I want to fail at something, maybe I'll try literature first, but not with same teacher because he told me that he usually give similar essay questions on all of his other literature classes.

Sign in to follow this