Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

7steps towards an energy saving [r]evolution

join us

L_JmXkKS_14

Energy saving [r]evolution - first 7 steps

We need to kick start an energy [r]evolution! By burning fossil fuels for energy, we're altering our atmosphere - causing climate change. To reverse it, we'll need to stop burning so much coal and oil. Renewable energy like wind and solar power is part of the answer, but the fastest (and most cost effective) way to reduce our global warming pollution is simply use less energy.

[ Lightbulbs Q & A | Sign up ]

What's so revolutionary about that?

Sure, energy efficiency is only common sense. But the idea that with smarter technology we can have growing economies while using less and less energy is new and bold. It's the sort of thing that might even happen without us if we had the time to wait. But we don't. The effects of climate change are already starting to pile up, construction begins on new power plants literally every week and billions of energy wasting lightbulbs are still sold every year.

Consider this: A simple switch to energy saving bulbs in the EU alone, would save 20 million tonnes of CO2, equal to shutting down 25 medium-size dirty power plants; and this is before we consider the efficiency of other household products, or even cars!

It's not only about changing lightbulbs

Specifically, it's not about your lightbulbs. Changing your lightbulbs is just an easy way to get started. Plus, it saves you money. Think of it as step one.

Revolutions start with individuals getting together for a common goal. That's why the next steps are about sharing this idea with your friends and community. Then you'll be ready to challenge governments and influence businesses.

It's all easier than you might think. Most governments already support energy efficiency to some degree - a few (like Canada, Australia and the Netherlands) have already said they'll phase out energy wasting lightbulbs eventually. With a little helpful push, we can get them to act now.

We're asking you to start with lightbulbs simply because they are so wasteful, and better alternatives are so easy to install. Soon, we'll take on other energy wasting products.

Why today is the day

Every ton of carbon dioxide pumped into the atmosphere, every coal burning power plant built and every energy wasting lightbulb installed makes it harder for us to stop climate change. Each one is one more thing we'll need to undo. Better to do it right the first time. Use an energy saving CFL so we'll need less electricity, avoid building another dirty power plant and protect our planet.

That's an energy revolution. Your energy revolution.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Thanks for joining the energy revolution!

*Step 1: Change those old lightbulbs*

We're guessing you've already gotten started. In fact, you've probably changed all the lightbulbs in your home to energy saving compact fluorescents already. You're saving the environment as well as saving money on your electricity bill.

Now we want you to do something for someone else. Maybe it's a friend who hasn't gotten around to changing their lightbulbs yet, maybe you know an older person who can't easily reach high up light fixtures. Whoever it is, help them out by changing at least one of their bulbs.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I tried switching to the energy saving light bulbs, but they burned out more often than the regular light bulbs. Unlike many people we turn our lights off when we use them. Fluorescent light bulbs only work if you leave them on for long periods of time. We only have a few lights we could do this with, but poor wiring comes in after that. Dirty electricity reduces the lifespans of many light bulbs.

I feel like I'm doing what I can with my limitations. For the cost of the energy saver bulbs, if they actually lasted as long as they warrantied, the cost is about the same as the number of regular light bulbs and I wouldn't change them as often. Is there any proper care I should perform with the light bulbs? Would it save my electricity bill if I left the most used lights on all day with the fluorescents?

Is the tankless water heater on your list? http://foreverhotwater.com/ offers a gas-only version, but electric versions are available. I couldn't perform the upgrade when my hot water tank died a few years ago due to plumbing issues. You're only heating the water when you need to instead of all the time with a tank. That's a HUGE energy saver, though it does cost twice the price as a tank even after the government's rebate for buying such a system.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

damn bro I didn't know yer elect was so screwed up O_O Can you use the compact fluorescents in table lamps? Is it just the over head lights that burn out or is it everything? It sounds dangerousO_O Ya might wanna get an electrician in there and be all like yo dude wtf.

This house is an old timer and we've had new wiring (dryer in the basement and outlets I put in upstairs; you wouldn't believe the ancient wiring up here >.<) put in over the years. Sledgers has replaced old 2 prong outlets with 3 prong and made sure they were all grounded (some weren't! O_O) Whatever it is going on you should look into it. Maybe start with a home energy audit. You're going to be in that house for a loooong time and you want it to be as efficient as ya can get it. Proper wiring could save you thousands over the course of your home ownership and does wonders for resale value.

... not to mention faulty wiring, something as simple as a light or an outlet not being grounded, can cause a fire. You've got little people in there to worry about!

The govt is slowly making its way toward banning the standard light bulb so ya gotta get that burn out issue fixed!

I already use fluorescents in all but my outside flood light so I'll be givin some bulbs to my sis. She always has lights on!

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

*Step 2: Invite Seven People to Join*

Here's a brief message you can send to your email contacts. Please send it along right away, but please only send it to your friends, family or colleagues.

Thanks!

Alex, Andrew, Eoin and everyone at Greenpeace International.

Subject: Join me in Greenpeace's 7-step climate campaign

Last week I joined this 7-step climate change campaign with Greenpeace. We are starting with lightbulbs, but it's about campaigning for energy efficiency generally. You should join:

http://www.email.greenpeace.org/snydcsol_cligauu.html?RECIPID=903477

Greenpeace proposes an "Energy Revolution" to save the world from catastrophic climate change. Half of it is about saving the power we use. And this campaign is about people like us helping to outlaw products that waste energy. Every week, for seven weeks, Greenpeace sends out an email with instructions how to campaign effectively for energy efficiency.

Every ton of carbon dioxide pumped into the atmosphere, every coal burning power plant built and every energy wasting lightbulb installed makes it harder for us to stop climate change. Each one is one more thing we'll need to undo. Better to do it right the first time.

Let's start an energy revolution!

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

*Step 3: Post "Ban this bulb (I did)" in the window, on the internet.*

Step 3 is all about spreading the word where you live. This can be your home, where you work, or where you spend time online.

The idea is to spark the energy revolution in the minds of people beyond your immediate family and friends. You know there's a planetary emergency, but a lot of people still haven't caught on. Raise the alarm! And show them there are real solutions.

Click here for posters, web graphics and instructions:

http://www.email.greenpeace.org/uqapwmjd_fjmgaqq.html?RECIPID=903477

Home front activism: Remember the free poster from step 1? The easiest way to complete this task is to put that poster somewhere people can see it - like in the window of your house.

Online activism: Put one of our banners on your blog, MySpace page, Facebook profile, in your email signature, or wherever. We've got lots of different sizes.

Download the tools and read tips:

http://www.email.greenpeace.org/bckhigez_fjmgaqq.html?RECIPID=903477

Thanks!

Alex, Andrew, Eoin and everyone at Greenpeace.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

*Step 4: Switch lightbulb manufactures*

Greenpeace is in high level talks with some of the world's largest lightbulb companies - asking them to stop making energy wasting lightbulbs by 2010. The more customers they also hear from, the more they'll listen.

For step 4, please add your voice by signing our petition:

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/climate-change/take_action/7steps/step-4-manufacturers

Thanks!

Alex, Andrew, Eoin, Tanja and everyone at Greenpeace.

P.S. Thanks for everything you've done so far. Step four already! Halfway through!

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this