Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Energy Department 2009 budget request

article

The 2009 budget proposed by the White House — which requires congressional approval — includes $25 billion in discretionary budget authority for the Energy Department, up nearly 5 percent from 2008.

bad idea #1

Research into cutting heat-trapping emissions from coal-burning power plants would receive $648 million
Coal is not clean and I highly doubt it ever will be. Just because you have a lot of something doesn't mean you should use it. That money needs to be spent on research and development if our infinite resources- wind solar and wave or we'll just end up in this same situation again further down the road, if we survive that is.

its a fuckin tragedy

Funds for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP, fell 22 percent to $2 billion.Sen. Jeff Bingaman, chairman of the Senate Energy Committee, said it was “completely wrongheaded” to slash funding for weatherization, after seeing funds fall to $59 million versus $285 million in 2008. About 97,000 homeowners used the program in 2006, and 55,000 homes used it in 2007.

Heating costs have nearly doubled in the north in the past few years. I myself heat with oil which has to be delivered about 4 times a year at over 300$ a pop. The price has gone up about 100$ per delivery since I moved into this little house, my fixed income has gone up about 60$ a month in that same time frame. I have applied for and received HEAP grants over the years now I need one every year. People heating with natural gas and propane don't have it any easier.

wtf....

The lion’s share of department funds — about $9.1 billion — goes to securing U.S. nuclear weapon stockpiles. Funding for energy resource initiatives fell 10 percent to $3.65 billion, while funding for science programs rose 19 percent to $4.7 billion.
We need a bunch of nukes why? Haven't most humans decided that we don't want a nuk war? I'm confused, why do we have to spend 9 billion dollars to 'secure' junk shit we're never gonna use? Cutting the cash flow into initiatives isn't going to help especially businesses and private homes. That fucks with employment and the housing market a duh. And lets make sure the 4 bil for science goes to the right places, not coal not more oil and gas and not nuk power. -_-;

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Against a worsening economic backdrop, it forecasts a deficit of over $400bn.

"Our budget protects America and encourages economic growth. Congress needs to pass it," Mr Bush said.

ummm.... contradiction anyone?
Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid criticised the proposal, saying: "This budget is fiscally irresponsible and highly deceptive, hiding the costs of war in Iraq while increasing the sky-rocketing debt."
ummm... yeah
Mr Bush is seeking almost $200bn in savings over five years from the health care programmes Medicare and Medicaid, which help the elderly and the poor.
fucktard
The Democrats criticised a spending plan they said did nothing to fix the government's growing deficit and which they warned would pile up problems for the next administration.
that's Bush's goal right? Leave the next prez and consequently us screwed.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this