Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

Console Gaming annihilates PC Gaming in '07

the only problem with merging PC and console gaming is that when advances happen, it tends to leave the consoles behind....for example, FFXI. FFXI is mainly on PC, but is ported to PS2, Xbox 360, and now PS3 (i think). There have been many advances on graphics that the company and the players want to make happen, but they have to really program down for the PS2 to keep up. PCs can upgrade. Xbox 360 still has room to upgrade. The PS2 does not. So while merging PC and console games, espically MMOs, is a great idea, it's limited for expansion of technology (but not content).

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

I've actually always wanted cross platform online gaming, not just from computers to consoles but from consoles to consoles... thats a bit of a stretch sadly.

Actually one of the much talked about plans for this generation, was modding... at least for a while. However I don't see that happening until maybe next gen. Though It's very much possible with system updates. Maybe not so much for the Wii, but the PS3 and 360 most definitely. Eventually console gaming will have every ability that PC's have and possibly more. Either people refuse to see it or don't want to believe it. Just like no one thought Sega would go from a console juggernaut to a sub par game developer.

Freeware this and free that. Its about $$$. One of my favorite Mods for half-life, Sven Co-op, has been out of development for two years now after a promised bronze, silver, and gold pack before the jump to the steam engine. The dude had to get a real job and hasn't had time to work on it anymore since. I pretty much lost faith that it will ever advance beyond what it is now.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

@Dubu:: I get that, but why not rig it up so that the Wii runs the game on the low end graphics, and the other two run it on the high? I mean, if we can alter the settings on the computer, why not passively do it for the consoles?

@DX: I really disagree--freeware development can dicate rather or not a game is worth getting or not.

the only problem with merging PC and console gaming is that when advances happen, it tends to leave the consoles behind....for example, FFXI. FFXI is mainly on PC, but is ported to PS2, Xbox 360, and now PS3 (i think). There have been many advances on graphics that the company and the players want to make happen, but they have to really program down for the PS2 to keep up. PCs can upgrade. Xbox 360 still has room to upgrade. The PS2 does not. So while merging PC and console games, espically MMOs, is a great idea, it's limited for expansion of technology (but not content).
Exactly. That & you can't upgrade a consoles hardware. If you could do that you might as well get a PC. PC gaming is needed for advancement of all gaming. With out that everything would really be downgraded.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

at this point in time, they're really both needed. Console gaming pushes the boundries on what you can do with games, plus gives the computer-illiterate a way to play games they might not be able to figure out otherwise. But PC gaming constantly pushes the technology forward, forcing consoles to improve. The only problem with that is that the years between next gen consoles is getting shorter. Think about it, the SNES had games being made for it for almost 10 years. The first Xbox and the Xbox 360 had 4 years between them, and there's not many games that are made avalible for the original Xbox. With the time between console upgrades shrinking, you'll drop far more money into console gaming. Whereas with a PC, you can upgrade just your video card. Or add more memory. Your costs will be less overall, and they'll be spread out over time instead of in one lump sum.

acsig2016.jpg

Well, you have to take into account that the Xbox was a flop. The PS2 smashed it into the ground. It had a six year run. MS had to rethink their strategy and were forced to come out with a new console very early. N64 and Cube had about 5 year runs, both consoles struggled.

This generation has reached a high point that has never been seen. I'd give it 6 years minimum. PS3's full power has yet to be tapped, and with Nintendo's supposed disinterest in system specs, Wii should last the longest of all... theoretically speaking. XBLA continues to evolve as well. Systems that can update their own software, game add-ons, Emulation, and other things are new to consoles that were once identified as PC exclusive. The goal is to increase the life of the machine. These companies take a large financial hit on their hardware in hopes to make it up in software sales. As we know, they sell them below the cost of manufacturing, and not to mention the costs it takes to invent the new machine.

It will be interesting to see how long they will last this time.

i wouldn't say the Xbox is a flop. With the ability to mod and upgrade it yourself, it did a great job for a first gen console. I still want a modded one myself. I don't know how modable the 360 is, so I can't comment on that. But the original Xbox basicly was a console for PC gamers.

And I wouldn't say 6 years minimum for the newest consoles. Technology is improving much faster now than it was in the past. I would say about 3-4 years to reach their peak, then new consoles will be released that push the bounderies again. And that time will be less unless you can upgrade it yourself. By upgrading it yourself, you'll get more years out of it before it becomes obsolete.

And GRX, I find that insulting. I'm just as crazy as everyone else here. I'm just better at hiding it. XD

acsig2016.jpg

DX, you forget that all these console makers don't like the idea of open source or giving their users the ability to use their system the way they want to. Have you ever tried to mod your PS3/xbox360/Wii or add any hardware in it? It's no easy task. You can't simply add a faster DVD/Blue-Ray drive or a new Hard Drive in either. Which is gay for Wii people that fill up it's non-expandable memory with roms or Xbox360 people that see their systems overheat because the heat sink is shit or their DVD drive is overworking its self. These company's pride them selves on making money, so you wont ever see a console being as open as a PC. So as much as you want to claim consoles will offer everything a PC has and more, the simple fact is, they wont. Company's will still continue to make games for both PC and for console since they know they will make more money that way. Theres no reason why they wouldn't.

..and I still don't agree with how you use Obsolete. The PC game market is not outdated.

Dubird pointed out allot more reasons too. So I'm pretty sure you're in your own little dream world DX lol.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

i wouldn't say the Xbox is a flop. With the ability to mod and upgrade it yourself, it did a great job for a first gen console. I still want a modded one myself. I don't know how modable the 360 is, so I can't comment on that. But the original Xbox basicly was a console for PC gamers.

And I wouldn't say 6 years minimum for the newest consoles. Technology is improving much faster now than it was in the past. I would say about 3-4 years to reach their peak, then new consoles will be released that push the bounderies again. And that time will be less unless you can upgrade it yourself. By upgrading it yourself, you'll get more years out of it before it becomes obsolete.

And GRX, I find that insulting. I'm just as crazy as everyone else here. I'm just better at hiding it. XD

But the full power of the cell processor, the presumed most advanced chip available has yet to be pushed to its maximum. I don't see a reason Wii would need to upgrade in such a short span, unless Nintendo truely is a hypocrite.

Xbox failed to gain 3rd party support, especially from Japanese developers. It came out last and died first. There is no doubt in my mind that if Microsoft was not the company that produced the system, there never would have been a 360, Xbox would have been another Goldstar 3DO. It may be modded, but its a peice of crap hardware wise, and the problems carried over to the 360 as I found out when I purchased mine and had to return it for a new one. Although I hear the new motherboard MS uses has corrected most of the crashing issues.

I heard a bunch of talk about region free gaming, just doing some brief looking up right now, it seems that PS3 and 360 games are region free for the most part. I'm not really one to care as I am not big in import gaming.

DX, you forget that all these console makers don't like the idea of open source or giving their users the ability to use their system the way they want to. Have you ever tried to mod your PS3/xbox360/Wii or add any hardware in it? It's no easy task. You can't simply add a faster DVD/Blue-Ray drive or a new Hard Drive in either. Which is gay for Wii people that fill up it's non-expandable memory with roms or Xbox360 people that see their systems overheat because the heat sink is shit or their DVD drive is overworking its self. These company's pride them selves on making money, so you wont ever see a console being as open as a PC. So as much as you want to claim consoles will offer everything a PC has and more, the simple fact is, they wont. Company's will still continue to make games for both PC and for console since they know they will make more money that way. Theres no reason why they wouldn't.

..and I still don't agree with how you use Obsolete. The PC game market is not outdated.

Dubird pointed out allot more reasons too. So I'm pretty sure you're in your own little dream world DX lol.

uuuuuuuuuuuh, yes you can add a hard drive, I'm not the one in the dream world here. In fact you can easily upgrade the Xbox360 hard drive, and have many of them. It takes all of 3 seconds to pop it on and off. Nintendo? Pfft What did you really expect from them? Yes the companies do pride themselves on making money. I think I have stated that only a million times, that is why they are successful. :)

-blink blink blink- did I seriously see..yup....

DeathscytheX[/b]"]These companies take a large financial hit on their hardware in hopes to make it up in software sales. As we know, they sell them below the cost of manufacturing, and not to mention the costs it takes to invent the new machine.

..dude..it takes WAY less to manufacture a Wii...

How much does the Wii really cost?

According to leaked documentation from Nintendo distributors the Wii only costs US $ 158.30 to make.

Graphic chip 29.60

CPU 13.00

DRAM 7.80

Optical disk drive 31.00

Power supply 11.30

Manufacturing cost 19.50

Cost total 158.30

Wholesale price 249.99

Meaning on the first few days of sales Nintendo profited around 80 million dollars.

Source

So uh...you were probably only really thinking about the 360/Ps3, but you have to remember, the Wii is outselling everything else, and in my opinion it's kicking out the best games--since most of what comes out on Ps3/360, you can just get for your PC...so...

PC gamers 1 -- Ps3/360 owners: 0

....and Nintendo 80million.. XD

But the full power of the cell processor, the presumed most advanced chip available has yet to be pushed to its maximum. I don't see a reason Wii would need to upgrade in such a short span, unless Nintendo truely is a hypocrite.

Xbox failed to gain 3rd party support, especially from Japanese developers. It came out last and died first. There is no doubt in my mind that if Microsoft was not the company that produced the system, there never would have been a 360, Xbox would have been another Goldstar 3DO. It may be modded, but its a peice of crap hardware wise, and the problems carried over to the 360 as I found out when I purchased mine and had to return it for a new one. Although I hear the new motherboard MS uses has corrected most of the crashing issues.

At the moment, yes. Development on better processors seems to have hit a little plateu. At least, I haven't heard about any new processors in a little while. But technology is still being expanded and continues to do so at an accallerated rate. Why do you think PC owners (ok, the ones that build their own) upgrade so often? My first PC i bought in 1995 and it didn't become obsolete for about 3-4 years. Now, when you buy a PC, it's obsolete before a year is up because something new will be released. At the moment, the Wii and other consoles are not reaching their potential and PCs have time to catch up. That will change, and I think it'll happen sooner then you think. That's why I give them all an average of 3 years before a next gen console is at the least being in a testing phase. And then the whole process starts over again. Eventually, consoles will have to be made as open hardware to keep up with new technology, and then the only thing seperating it from a PC will be the OS and what it can do.

acsig2016.jpg

-blink blink blink- did I seriously see..yup....

..dude..it takes WAY less to manufacture a Wii...

Source

So uh...you were probably only really thinking about the 360/Ps3, but you have to remember, the Wii is outselling everything else, and in my opinion it's kicking out the best games--since most of what comes out on Ps3/360, you can just get for your PC...so...

PC gamers 1 -- Ps3/360 owners: 0

....and Nintendo 80million.. XD

I was only referring to the PS3 and 360. I know 5 people that own Wiis. they are all collecting dust on their entertainment center. Wii has some good games, just like gamecube had some good games. But not enough. Wii isn't consistently winning the monthly sales anymore and at the end of this year, it wont be at all. They'll make a good push during the Smash launch, but the box will climb to the top again. Thats why best buy, and game stop has a full supply of used Wii consoles around here. You can try to tell me different, but you wont convince me. I won't continue that argument because it probably won't end like this one.

Back to the original topic of this post, software sales for consoles are outrageously more than PC, so does it really matter? Define "most" because I can go down a list and pull plenty of games you cannot get on PC. Sure every Sports game, FPS, and some racing games can be found on PC, along with most titles that receive horrid ratings.

Really though, you can call me delusional all you wish. I heard it all a few years back, how PC gaming was so superior and consoles would never surpass the PC gaming world, Consoles will never have online abilities, consoles will never have better graphics, consoles wont have this, or that.... now they do. What else will they do that apparently people swear they wont do? Time will only tell. I just put up numbers that are non debatable.

Thats all i can really say, I've been in a "dream world" for the last decade I guess.

I'm not saying consoles aren't surpasing PC right now. I'm just saying don't write off PC gaming. It'll take hits, espically when three giants put out new consoles around the same time, but it'll even out again. It's not going away.

acsig2016.jpg

Really though, you can call me delusional all you wish.
Don't do it... it's a trick... First time I did that he got mad, locked his own thread, & sent me a message via karma... Then when I sent one back via karma he acted like I rated his karma first via PM...
I'm not saying consoles aren't surpasing PC right now. I'm just saying don't write off PC gaming. It'll take hits, espically when three giants put out new consoles around the same time, but it'll even out again. It's not going away.
Agreed.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Don't do it... it's a trick... First time I did that he got mad, locked his own thread, & sent me a message via karma... Then when I sent one back via karma he acted like I rated his karma first via PM...

OH SNAP! Yous got punished like a bad boy. :cry: Everyone should feel sorry for you. You gonna keep whining about it in every post you make? You're unlikely to obtain any pity, and more likely to get in more trouble. :)

OH SNAP! Yous got punished like a bad boy. :cry: Everyone should feel sorry for you. You gonna keep whining about it in every post you make? You're unlikely to obtain any pity, and more likely to get in more trouble. :)
I was joking. You can't take a joke? Seriously though I'm not going to take anything you say serious when you insult me. Although when I do point it out you might state something like you didn't mean it & it was intended so I'd flame you.

I'm not looking for pity. If I was it make more sense to go to a different forum to complain constantly about that than here. If fact I thought it was fun. And I want to have some more fun.

But that would really go off topic. So maybe you should stick to the topic you made. I don't want to be blamed if you lock your own thread.

PC Gaming will be around as long as their is PCs.

Myk JL no point in continuing now, once DX gets his mind set theres no changing it no matter how wrong he is lol. That's why I stopped posting.
Sadly to say you're 100% right.

I was joking. You can't take a joke? Seriously though I'm not going to take anything you say serious when you insult me. Although when I do point it out you might state something like you didn't mean it & it was intended so I'd flame you.

So you once again admit to purposely violating the TOS?

A joke? Your really wearing it out aren't you? :flush: It seems to be the only one you have. Either its a pity party, or you severely need some new material. If you think complaining about how your rep got docked is fun, I believe you need a new hobby. You wont be having anymore "fun" such as that, because I will personally remove any more whining about disciplinary action from your posts, if not delete the entire reply. It doesn't matter to me if you think I'm serious or not. freak.gif

some days I feel like Luffy... other days I'm havin the Chopper moment X'D

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers