Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Virgin unveils spaceship designs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7205445.stm

Virgin Galactic has released the final design of the launch system that will take fare-paying passengers into space.

_44376374_ss2_wk2_416.jpg

It is based on the X-Prize-winning SpaceShipOne concept - a rocket ship that is lifted initially by a carrier plane before blasting skywards.

The Virgin system is essentially a refinement, but has been increased in size to take eight people at a time on a sub-orbital trip, starting in 2010.

Virgin boss Sir Richard Branson said the space business had huge potential.

"I think it's very important that we make a genuine commercial success of this project," he told a news conference in New York.

_44376477_ss2con_vg_203.jpg SpaceShipTwo under construction in California

"If we do, I believe we'll unlock a wall of private sector money into both space launch systems and space technology.

"This could rival the scale of investment in the mobile phone and internet technologies after they were unlocked from their military origins and thrown open to the private sector."

Virgin Galactic has contracted the innovative aerospace designer Burt Rutan to build its spaceliners. The carrier - White Knight Two - is said to be very nearly complete and is expected to begin flight testing later this year.

SpaceShipTwo is about 60% complete, Virgin Galactic says.

Both vehicles are being constructed at Mr Rutan's Scaled Composites factory in California.

The spaceliner will carry two pilot astronauts and six ticketed passengers. They will fly initially from a facility called Spaceport America in the New Mexico desert.

o.giflaun.jpg

Eight individuals will be aboard each flight

inline_dashed_line.gif

open_icon.gifEnlarge Image

Seats cost $200,000. Virgin Galactic says more than 200 individuals have booked, and another 85,000 have registered an interest to fly. Tens of millions of dollars in deposits have already been taken, the company adds.

Sir Richard said the launch system would also be made available to industrial and research groups.

"The fact that this system will have the capability to launch small payloads and satellites at low cost is hugely important," he told the launch event at the American Museum of Natural History.

"As far as science is concerned, this system offers tremendous potential to researchers who will be able to fly experiments much more often than before, helping to answer key questions about Earth's climate and the mysteries of the Universe."

Kickass ...! Just check out the demand and money for being seated on this thing ... phenomenal.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

0_o those wings will be ripped off when it enters the atmosphere...
Maybe they'll realize that & redesign the wings...

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

From the picture it looked like the wings can be repositioned for reentry. I'm sure they thought it through.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

From the picture it looked like the wings can be repositioned for reentry. I'm sure they thought it through.
Basically the tips of the wings... But not the whole wings.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

This looks awesome.

_44376374_ss2_wk2_416.jpg

If you take the shuttle out of the middle and replace it with the Tallgeese from Gundam Wing, I can totally see this as a possible space entry attachment for gundams. X'D

And I still want a White Knight... but painted green with the Zeon Crest.

Sign in to follow this