Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Clinton wins Democratic primary

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7178168.stm

Democrat Hillary Clinton has won New Hampshire's presidential primary, beating rival candidate Barack Obama into second place. Earlier, John McCain won the Republican presidential primary with a substantial lead, media projections indicated.

Observers say it seems to have been a record-breaking turnout, with some half a million people having cast ballots.

Candidates are aiming to build momentum before more than 20 states hold polls on 5 February, known as Super Tuesday.

Mrs Clinton told a cheering crowd of supporters that: "I come tonight with a very, very full heart.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif Now together let's give America the kind of comeback that New Hampshire has just given me end_quote_rb.gif

Hillary Clinton

"I want especially to thank New Hampshire. Over the last week I listened to you and in the process I found my own voice. I felt like we all spoke from our hearts and I am so gratified that you responded."

She echoed her husband, former President Bill Clinton, who in New Hampshire's primary in 1992 called himself the "comeback kid".

o.gif DEMOCRATIC RACE

Hillary Clinton - 39%

Barack Obama - 36%

John Edwards - 17%

Bill Richardson - 5%

Source: Associated Press

"Now together let's give America the kind of comeback that New Hampshire has just given me," she said.

In conceding victory Mr Obama said: "I want to congratulate Senator Clinton on a hard fought victory here in New Hampshire. She did an outstanding job, give her a big round of applause."

Turning point?

Mr Obama had gone into the vote with leads of up to 13% in opinion polls following his impressive victory in Thursday's Iowa caucuses.

o.gif_44343056_mccain_ap203b.jpg

McCain supporters chanted "Mac is back, Mac is back".

inline_dashed_line.gif

video_text.gifMcCain victory speech

He achieved a surge in the polls after trailing Mrs Clinton's lead for much of the campaign.

Mrs Clinton having closed that gap may, says the BBC's Kevin Connolly in New Hampshire, be down to an extraordinary moment during her campaigning on Monday when she appeared close to tears as she talked about how much public service meant to her.

John Edwards, who came third in the Democrat contest, reminded supporters in Manchester, New Hampshire, that there were "48 states left to go".

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney came second in the Republican race with 32% compared to Mr McCain's 37%, according to ABC.

'Fighting on'

Former Arkansas governor and Baptist minister Mike Huckabee and former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani came in with 11% and 9% of the vote for the Republicans, according to ABC projections.

o.gif REPUBLICAN RACE

John McCain - 37%

Mitt Romney - 32%

Mike Huckabee - 11%

Rudy Giuliani - 9%

Source: ABC

Mr Giuliani said he planned to stay in the race and was looking forward to Florida's 29 January primary.

Mr McCain has staged an impressive fight back after seeing his campaign nearly derail several months ago.

At his campaign headquarters, Mr McCain thanked his supporters, saying: "My friends, you know I'm passed the age where I can claim the noun 'kid', no matter what adjective precedes it. But tonight we sure showed 'em what a comeback looks like."

Mr Romney conceded victory and congratulated Mr McCain.

"Well another silver... I'd rather have a gold, but I got another silver.

"But tonight congratulations go to Senator John McCain for running a first class race. Congratulations for the gold senator, great job, let's give him a round of applause."

The BBC's James Coomarasamy in New Hampshire says a wounded Mr Romney must now bounce back from his Iowa and New Hampshire defeats, states where he far outspent his opponents.

Mr Huckabee, by contrast, will take heart from his third place finish in a state where he was never expected to do well, our correspondents says.

... and just yesterday the pre-poll stats indicated Obama was in the lead.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

the pre-poll stats are BS. Most people that get the phone calls get them at odd hours in the night or just get sick of getting so many calls about the election and don't take them serious because of that.

Tonight was crazy trying to vote though. I have never seen so many people waiting in lines to vote. They said this is probably the biggest turn out they have ever seen in my town.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

He almost beat Giuliani. Ron Paul came in 5th :(.
That basically sucks. On the bright side Giuliani didn't come in 1st.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Giuliani didn't campaign in NH for some reason. I'm guessing because he already knew no one was gonna vote for him here XD. Ron Paul spammed his posters everywhere in NH but didn't spend any money on phone calls or TV advertising. He probably would have done way better if he spent more to get TV ads.

I almost forgot, Chuck Norris was in the city next to us with his wife and Huchabee seeing a doctor that my friend is interning with. I guess Chuck and his Wife caught a really bad cold or something. My friend was like "Dude chuck is much older looking then when hes on TV. he's got hair plugs to fill in bald spots all over the center of his head" :P. Poor chuck :(.

sig.php

Giuliani didn't campaign in NH for some reason. I'm guessing because he already knew no one was gonna vote for him here XD. Ron Paul spammed his posters everywhere in NH but didn't spend any money on phone calls or TV advertising. He probably would have done way better if he spent more to get TV ads.

I almost forgot, Chuck Norris was in the city next to us with his wife and Huchabee seeing a doctor that my friend is interning with. I guess Chuck and his Wife caught a really bad cold or something. My friend was like "Dude chuck is much older looking then when hes on TV. he's got hair plugs to fill in bald spots all over the center of his head" :P. Poor chuck :(.

I think he tried crying, but all it was, was him saying 9/11. I bet he tried complaining Clinton was able to do it so he should have been able to too.

All the greats eventually resort to trying to maintain youth... But don't say that to Mr. T... He'll call you a foo.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Of course Clinton won in NH. Who expected anything less. She wont win the Democratic nomination. Its already clear who they want to run as their Candidate. The Dems know she'll lose by landslide.
So who do they want to win?

Believe it or not, she actually lost NH to Obama by 2,000 something votes after they recounted the ballets by hand, but I guess the state is going to wait and see if the same thing happens to other states using the same system from the same company before calling in an investigation. It's been on all the local news channels for the past day but they all keep changing the story and adding in "theory's" so I'm not really sure who to believe (Damn the media).

Hilary can cry all she wants but shes not gonna win in the end for the Dems nor is Giuliani for the Reps. I have a feeling its going to come down to Obama and Mccain or Romney. I really hope Romney takes it for the republicans though.

sig.php

have either of them made a stand on energy and environment?

We need a prez who will take drastic action. A candidate that wont kick big oil in the nutz dun have my vote or the votes of lotsa other ppl.

Amend the constitution and give the job to Arnold! Go California :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this