Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Halo 3 sales top £84m in 24 hours

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7015663.stm

Video game Halo 3 earned more than £84m ($170m) in sales in its first 24 hours on release, according to Microsoft. The game sets the record for the most money earned in a day by an entertainment product, topping figures set by film Spiderman 3.

Thousands of shops opened at midnight on Monday in the United States as gamers queued for the Xbox 360 title.

But reports of scratched discs have marred the launch, with Microsoft offering to replace them for free.

Sales figures from European launches have yet to be added into the total.

More than 1.4 million people have gone online to play the title since its launch and more than four million online games of Halo 3 were logged in the last 24 hours.

"Halo 3 has become a pop-culture phenomenon," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios, in a statement.

Microsoft needs Halo 3 to boost sales of the Xbox 360; despite investing billions of dollars into the Xbox project it has yet to see any meaningful profitable return.

"It's far too early to say what the financial return will be for our investment," Mr Kim told the BBC News website last month.

Microsoft hopes to make a profit on its Xbox in this financial year.

"If we can't make a profit in the year Halo 3 comes out, then when will we?" said Mr Kim.

Microsoft has started a disc replacement service for gamers complaining of scratched copies of a limited edition version of the game.

But gamers have complained it will take two weeks for replacement copies to arrive.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I used to be a big PC gamer, but it costs too much, and most of the upgrades don't allow you to play your old favorites anymore.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Heh, you're in for a long wait then Myk. Took them 3 years to get Halo 2 on the PC, just think of how long it'll take them to get 3 out on it.

Plus who knows what specs it might need the regular pc to require, excuse to update yer systems buddy!

I never got my original Xbox because Halo or Halo 2. I got for Steel Battalion. I did get Halo 2 for it though, but later sold it. I now own both Halo & Halo 2 for the PC. The only way I'd get an Xbox 360 is if Capcom came out with a new Steel Battalion. So I don't have a problem if I miss out on Halo 3 & Halo Wars. Because as good as they might be I don't consider them a good enough reason to get an Xbox 360.

If I weren't hooked to my Wii I'd have update my PC to Vista by now...

As for the rest of the PC talk I don't see the problems with upgrading. I wasted more money on my Xbox than my PC. About $200 for the Xbox; $250 for SB(LoC); And about $1000 on 20 or more games. Over all I had spent about $1450 or more. I ended up selling all my games except for Steel Battalion & Steel Battalion: Line Of Contact as they were the only real reasons to why I own my Xbox. With the money I spent on Xbox I could have afforded an even better computer or upgraded this one by now.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

PC gaming is becoming obsolete. The Console has surpassed the PC in graphical and processing power. And even if the PC manages to inch ahead, the cost of continually upgrading is only a negative. Might as well give in.

very valid point.

pc games are RTS or MMORPG's

anything else is better on the console

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

For an upgraded PC it costs a minimum of $500 to play the new games, and many times the older ones fail to run. For the PS2, it cost me $200 for system, an extra controller and some games. I buy only used games usually for buy 2 get 1 free at GameStop. Gamestop recently stopped selling used PC games.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Well no one said you had to buy a 360 just for those games, I was just pointing out how long it took Halo 2 to reach the PC (and to begin with Halo 2 was a horrible game, I kick myself everyday for buying the limited edition of it when it came out (was not worth that much money)). I bought a 360 for the reason that it doesn't pay to game on the computer anymore. Every year the games keep getting more and more advanced making it hard for people to buy and play them. Plus, imho, the 360 is the best console on the market right now (hate me, burn me at the stake, whatever you want but it's the way I feel. The Wii isn't worth buying imo (nothing it has out is worth buying a Wii for and SSBB certainly is not worth buying a Wii for when it comes out) and the PS3 just isn't worth the money).

In the long run PC gamers spend more money just upgrading their machines to keep up with games. A console you buy once, don't have to upgrade it, and it's good until the new one comes out (sometimes past that) because the games are made to use what the console has to offer, not what new parts and new things have to offer. I'd go bankrupt trying to keep up with the PC game market (and it's sad, the only good RTS games out there are for the PC and I can't play them anymore because my laptop is too old to handle the requirements for the new one (I really want World in Conflict but my PC won't be able to handle it)). PC gaming just isn't worth it anymore.

Now lets turn the topic back to what it was intended for, talking about Halo 3's success.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Other than advancing the story of Halo I don't see how Halo 3 is going to be better than Halo 2. Who's left to kill off besides The Prophet Of Truth & Gravemind? I don't think those boss fights will be any different than the one with Tartarus. Then again I prefer a weak boss fight over running away from a fight.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I never got my original Xbox because Halo or Halo 2. I got for Steel Battalion. I did get Halo 2 for it though, but later sold it. I now own both Halo & Halo 2 for the PC. The only way I'd get an Xbox 360 is if Capcom came out with a new Steel Battalion. So I don't have a problem if I miss out on Halo 3 & Halo Wars. Because as good as they might be I don't consider them a good enough reason to get an Xbox 360.

If I weren't hooked to my Wii I'd have update my PC to Vista by now...

As for the rest of the PC talk I don't see the problems with upgrading. I wasted more money on my Xbox than my PC. About $200 for the Xbox; $250 for SB(LoC); And about $1000 on 20 or more games. Over all I had spent about $1450 or more. I ended up selling all my games except for Steel Battalion & Steel Battalion: Line Of Contact as they were the only real reasons to why I own my Xbox. With the money I spent on Xbox I could have afforded an even better computer or upgraded this one by now.

So spending $1000 on 20 or more PC games, plus a graphics chip that costs as much as an Xbox, plus a operating system that costs more than a Wii is a better option? Not to mention the processor and other such things that need constant updating to keep up with each new game every 6-8 months.

$1450 will buy you a decent computer... not a gamers computer.

No offense, but the only thing you really wasted money on is a game that costs as much as a console. No matter how good it may be no game is worth that much.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

So spending $1000 on 20 or more PC games, plus a graphics chip that costs as much as an Xbox, plus a operating system that costs more than a Wii is a better option? Not to mention the processor and other such things that need constant updating to keep up with each new game every 6-8 months.

$1450 will buy you a decent computer... not a gamers computer.

No offense, but the only thing you really wasted money on is a game that costs as much as a console. No matter how good it may be no game is worth that much.

I spent $1000 on 20 or more Xbox games; not PC games. My current PC cost half the price of a PS3 & it plays my current PC Games well enough. The only time a PC is worth updating is when a new OS comes out.

My PC is decent enough, but if I did want a Gamer type computer I could always pay a monthly fee instead of paying all at once.

Steel Battalion & Steel Battalion: Line Of Contact only had a $250 price because the controller for them has 40+ buttons. It's a must for any real Mech Fan. These games are a once in a lifetime buy as I doubt there will be anymore Steel Battalions.

But back on to the real topic at hand. I just don't think an Xbox 360 is worth buying just because of Halo 3. Halo 3 is a decent game, but not the game that would make me buy an Xbox 360.

*Edit*

I never posted no one should buy Halo 3 for the Xbox 360. I never posted anyone should become a PC Gamer just because I am. I just stated my personal preferance & a chunk of people were all the sudden complaining as if PC Gaming is the Anti-Christ & that I should have nothing to do with it. There the ones that want to pull this thread off its topic because if they wanted to talk about Halo 3 they just talk about it.

I loved the first Halo game until it got to the repetitive levels at the end. I played the second Halo with my brother as well and enjoyed the first few levels too. If I could convince Kelene to get the XBox 360 with the Halo games I would. Maybe next year...

*Edit*

I never posted no one should buy Halo 3 for the Xbox 360. I never posted anyone should become a PC Gamer just because I am. I just stated my personal preferance & a chunk of people were all the sudden complaining as if PC Gaming is the Anti-Christ & that I should have nothing to do with it. There the ones that want to pull this thread off its topic because if they wanted to talk about Halo 3 they just talk about it.

Don't really know what brought this on Myk but we're not saying you said any of the above (I'm only guessing someone came after you in PM's). Topic got slightly off-topic with the Halo on PC remark we both made. No need to get overly defensive. None of us are complaining that PC Gaming is the Anti-Christ, a good majority of us in this topic are PC Gamers as well as console gamers (I myself am both, I just prefer consoles more because I don't have to spend thousands of dollars keeping up to date with stuff).

The first Halo was pure gold, I still enjoy playing it to this day (even though I've beaten it well over 100 times, both the XBox and PC versions (yes I own both)). Personally it's the best out of the series. It had the best multiplayer imo also. Nothing was better then getting together with 16 friends and having a huge LAN party (Gah, I miss those days in high school) with four X-Boxes, 4 copies of the game, and 16 controllers. Oh the fun times that were had. Halo 2 failed to live up to the hype. The game just stagnates after the first few levels and the story just sucks (I know, playing an FPS for story is odd but I do). The multiplayer wasn't that great (well it was fun, I only did multiplayer at ACEN when I went in 2005) and a lot of the good weapons were scrapped in it (to this day I'm still pissed the original pistol was taken out for that crappy ass Magnum). I've been hearing nothing but good things about Halo 3 but I can't take those opinions at face value since I'm hearing them from Halo fanboys/girls since fan opinions are always biased toward liking it. Since I can't afford it I won't be buying it for awhile but I'd really like to hear an opinion on the game from someone who isn't a huge fan of the series and see what they think (sadly I don't think I'll be able too, everyone and their mom just loves Halo).

Don't really know what brought this on Myk but we're not saying you said any of the above (I'm only guessing someone came after you in PM's). Topic got slightly off-topic with the Halo on PC remark we both made. No need to get overly defensive. None of us are complaining that PC Gaming is the Anti-Christ, a good majority of us in this topic are PC Gamers as well as console gamers (I myself am both, I just prefer consoles more because I don't have to spend thousands of dollars keeping up to date with stuff).

The first Halo was pure gold, I still enjoy playing it to this day (even though I've beaten it well over 100 times, both the XBox and PC versions (yes I own both)). Personally it's the best out of the series. It had the best multiplayer imo also. Nothing was better then getting together with 16 friends and having a huge LAN party (Gah, I miss those days in high school) with four X-Boxes, 4 copies of the game, and 16 controllers. Oh the fun times that were had. Halo 2 failed to live up to the hype. The game just stagnates after the first few levels and the story just sucks (I know, playing an FPS for story is odd but I do). The multiplayer wasn't that great (well it was fun, I only did multiplayer at ACEN when I went in 2005) and a lot of the good weapons were scrapped in it (to this day I'm still pissed the original pistol was taken out for that crappy ass Magnum). I've been hearing nothing but good things about Halo 3 but I can't take those opinions at face value since I'm hearing them from Halo fanboys/girls since fan opinions are always biased toward liking it. Since I can't afford it I won't be buying it for awhile but I'd really like to hear an opinion on the game from someone who isn't a huge fan of the series and see what they think (sadly I don't think I'll be able too, everyone and their mom just loves Halo).

No one came after me in PMs, but I was offended by mainly DeathscytheX's comments that PC Gaming is becoming obsolete.

I enjoyed the 1st Halo when I got it for my PC. I never owned the Xbox version. I'm also disappointed by the fact they replaced the hand gun in Halo 2. I did enjoy the story of Halo 2. Maybe because its the first Halo game I bought. Playing as The Arbiter & having him come to terms with that his religion was false has been the best story I've seen in a game. When it comes to Halo Fandom though on another forum I see some who don't find Halo 3 as a big deal. But usually when just talking about PC FPSs in general they choose Half-Life 2 over the PC Versions of Halo mainly due to faster pace action. I have never played Half-Life 2 so I can't really say on that matter. Back on to Halo 3 I'll probably spoil the story for myself when I see the cut scenes on YouTube.

There is no reason to be offended. I only offer the truth. PC gaming use to be the pinnacle of gaming, and now its not. Consoles have surpassed it in sales, graphics, online play, and practicalness. Just about any high profile PC game that comes out, is now available in console format... for example Half-Life and Unreal Tournament.

Its just the way the trend is going, PC games are becoming few and far between. It isn't the anti-christ, its just honestly and truthfully becoming obsolete. More people have consoles, and less people spend time adding more disk space to their PC. Gaming companies recognize this and do what makes them the most money.

Its like VHS to DVD, Tapes to CDs. Things change.

I play PC games too, but no where near the amount that I play console games. I got my new PC 18 months ago and already it cannot run the newer games at the full graphical experience.

On topic. I just beat halo. It was fun, but the end was sub par, there was a serious lack of boss battles, and overall the game is over hyped. Half-Life indeed has a better story and is a better game. But as far as online play, Halo tops it.

I'm looking more forward to ace combat 6 later this month.

Heh, Halo as far as online goes sucks compared to COD4 (compared to the beta mp of Halo 3 before it was released COD4 MP is far superior, my opinion only though. I haven't played the multiplayer on Halo 3 retail yet and COD4's MP is bound to change by the time it gets released but the beta was so freaking awesome). Gah, I can't wait to get my hands on COD4.

Half-Life never really had much of a multiplayer game to begin with. Story was great in both games (own 1, have seen 2 in action while watching friends play it) but mp was alway lacking in both.

Gah, don't speak of AC6 DX. I want it so bad but of course it's coming out right after I move 1800 miles away from home with no money. I won't be able to get it right when it comes out. *cries* Why is it coming out then? Why can't it come out a few months after I move when I can afford it? Gah, I'm gonna be pissed when everyone else has beaten it and I haven't even played it yet. The gaming industry must hate me or something, releasing all these games I want so close to my move date (Halo 3 and AC6, COD4 comes out in November so I should be able to afford it).

Seriously Myk don't get offended by anything DX says. As he just said above he offers nothing but the truth.

Trust me, I much rather play a FPS with a mouse and keyboard. But I'm just going to have to get use to the controller.

When it comes to HL i was thinking more along the lines of Counter-Strike... I got sick of that fast... they look down on snipers. X'D

lol, they look down on snipers in most FPS's today. Seriously I've had to change gears and because an all out nut now when I play them. Never did get into the CS craze. Friends in college tried to get me into it but I've never been a fan of PC based FPS's. Something about the control scheme always rubbed me the wrong way.

They were pretty hardcore... like if you just played with people you didn't know, your own teammates would gun you down for being a sniper. Then the updated the admin controls where sniper rifles could be taken out altogether and I quit playing.

I actually was into sven-coop more so, which is the best HL mod... however they have become very lazy and have yet to bring out the next promised update in almost 2 years.

Its definitely not an highly original game. some of the vehicle designs are ripped out of terminator and aliens. while the Flood could be serious rip off of Half-life indeed. Most of its hype comes from blatant xbox-is-the-greatest-ever-because-of-halo fanboyism.

It certainly is enjoyable. But its not in my top five games of all time.