Sledgstone

PS3 price drop

The PS3 dropped by $100 a couple weeks ago, but I don't know anyone that rushed out and bought it. O_O So did anyone here go out and buy the PS3 now that its $100 cheaper?

btw, has any big games come out for the PS3 inbetween the initial release and the price drop? I don't remember seeing any commercials for major titles lately...

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Its only temporary, until all 60 gig models sell out. From reports I have read, PS3 sales have almost doubled since the price drop. The new model will have an 80 gig hard drive and a rumble controller, it comes out sometime this month at the original price mark. There is only about a few months supply of 60 gig models, they definitely will not last until the holiday season.

The big titles start churning out next month. Most notably Heavenly Sword, Lair, and Warhawk. Ratchet & Clank will follow suit. I can't remember them all right now, but they have a pretty good stretch going into the holidays. The big boys launch early after the holiday season like MGS4, Soul Calibur IV, Killzone 2. The PS store has really picked up on their updates, as well. A lot of neat original titles... they are kinda slackin on the PS1 classics though. This past week they put up Castlevania: SoTN, and that was the first in over a month.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Meh, even with the price drop I'm still not buying one. I can't justify paying that price for a console that doesn't have any games I want on it anymore (considering all the titles except a few have gone multi-platform recently, which makes me happy considering I shelled out the money for a 360).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

The PS3 dropped by $100 a couple weeks ago, but I don't know anyone that rushed out and bought it.

I bought one the day after they lowered the price. I've mainly been using it as a Blu-Ray player though. All the good games on PS3 right now are also on 360 with Live support... :\

It'll all be worth it when MGS4 comes out though

lightsig.jpg

i see it pointless to buy it unless i own an expensive tv so no dice :P

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

lol, im going to get one moderately soon, but i also have plans to get a big sexy tv .. so it'll be worth it for me. i mean, im getting a super inexpencive blu-ray player, and a gamesystem that is going to kick ass here in some time.

poor ps3 is getting picked on because it's still in its infancy..

Anyone selling their PS2's let me know X'D. Can I hook it up to my laptop and use that screen or do I need a tv for it >_>.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Anyone selling their PS2's let me know X'D. Can I hook it up to my laptop and use that screen or do I need a tv for it >_>.

I dunno about laptops, but I believe there is a cable you can use to hook up your ps2 to a desktop.;)

I think that even though sony is losing hella money, they should even further lower the price to $50 above the 360. That way people will realize all the "extra" stuffs they are getting for just $50. Of course Sony would need tons of great first party games to make up for the money lost on console sales, but by the holidays there are gonna be some great games. (Lair-4 DAYS!, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk) and then early 2008 it will get Killzone 2 and MGS4. I think that Sony should at least maintain the price drop, even after the 60 gigs run out and they will sell pretty good. (At least outselling the 360.)

Just my $.02

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I bet sony will never release another massively expensive system again. quality over quantity is one thing, but the pure lack of bulk sales results in the lack of exclusive titles, and that results in the lack of people looking forward to buying the system.. yes, they need another price drop to start the cycle. :nod:

Eh, Sony has a long way to go to outsell the 360. With a years lead on the system it's going to take a lot for Sony to gain ground. Plus, with the 360 Elite on the market now, it'll have an even harder time keeping up.

Sadly, both Microsoft and Sony are plagued with problems now. With the influx in 360 hardware failure lately (even my system is starting to show problems and my friends just went down two weeks ago) people are starting to see the flaws with the system (I'm thinking the Elite solved these problems but I'm not sure). Plus most people view the PS3 as an extremely overpriced paperweight not worth buying (unless as a Blue-Ray player). Add on the fact that there are hardly any games worth buying for the PS3 and you have big problems for Sony (with a lack of any good exclusives outside of Heavenly Sword, Lair, and MGS4 I don't see any real comeback potential for the PS3 atm).

If Sony can solve it's lack of games issue I can see it making a comeback in the near future but sadly all the games I want are coming out for the 360 (since Ace Combat 6 made the move to 360 I have lost any interest in the PS3, sad to say too since I'm a huge Sony supporter).

As to answer your questing GG I don't think there is any way to hook up a PS2 to a laptop. I've never tried so I don't know off hand but I'm going to guess there is no way or if there is I don't know about it.

good points. I don't own a 360 or keep up much on the video game industry like I used to, so its the first I've heard about the widespread 360 hardware problems. thats pretty messed up, but is it a pattern? I thought the original xbox had hardware problems after the first year too. I can't remember.

Anyone know what rpg games are coming out for the PS3? I remember wanting a PS2 for a year or so because of the massive rpg titles for it... but I have no idea what rpgs are due out for the PS3 anytime soon.

oh, and I missed that PS2 to laptop/monitor question. No, from what I found out a year ago, the PS2 does not support a vga adapter. If you had a Dreamcast, you could hook it up to a monitor or possibly a video input on your laptop if you had the connection port, but not a PS2. you'll need a tv for it. Unless some third party company out there was able to make some bootleggish quality vga adapter for it in the past year, but if so, I wouldn't trust the quality of it in the slightest.

For the most part the hardware problems are mostly the same. The 360 has some cooling problems and due to that it melts the sodder (sp?, you know what I mean) on some of the chips making it crack and thus killing the connection between the chips and the board. There are some easy fixes for it but it's the main hardware issue with the 360. I've heard of a few others but since it came out a good portion of 360 owners have been plagued by problems that are the same.

My 360 is giving me loading problems with games right now. It freezes up for no f'in reason which has made a good portion of my gaming frustrating (especially as I was trying to beat PSU, froze up on the last boss making me spend two hours trying to get to him again because apparently Sega has never heard of multiple save points). I should send it in to get looked at or replace it with an Elite.

Outside of FFXIII I haven't heard of any RPG's hitting the PS3 (Lair is one but I don't know if it's pure RPG or of mix).

Heh, only real reason I pay a close attention to the gaming industry is that my future revolves around it (going to college to get a degree in Game Design) otherwise I wouldn't be as knowledgeable in it as I am. Plus, being a 360 owner, I kinda need to keep up with what current problems are plaguing the system right now.

All the new next-gen systems had all this hype for new and innovative things.. but aside from all the new chips, blu-ray compatability.. it all boils down to the games for me. some of the wii games look good, but I need rpgs. :|

game design, nice. ^_^ good luck with it. and keep us informed about the gaming industry, its nice to know someones keeping up on it. ^_^

I personally think the 360 Elite is the biggest sham I've ever seen. . Its the same price as a PS3, without the wifi. My advice to anyone that wants a 360 is to just get a regular one. To make it wireless you have to pay almost $100 for the adapter. That is a big reason I refuse to get a 360. When I heard about the Elite I thought it was gonna be pretty cool, surely they planned on installing wifi like everyone else... I was planning on getting one... nope they just made it black with a bigger harddrive...

It's pretty damn hard to fill a hard drive, unless you never delete demo's and trailers. The whole 80 gig PS3, and 360 elite is far from impressive to me. I would have went with the 20gig ps3 if it if had wireless networking. Thats just me.

I have zero problems with my PS3. While it does get pretty warm, Its never overheated once. I have 2 friends with 360's and they don't seem to have problems with them. I guess I have been one of the lucky few that has never purchased a defective system, Nintendo, Sega, nor Sony.

I'll agree with you there. The only reason I'd get an Elite is if they offered me one to replace my 360, the bigger hard drive and the black color aren't worth the money in my eyes. Sadly buying a wireless adapter is the price we have to pay to play our 360 online through a wireless connection. I have no gripe that I had to pay $100 for the adapter, it's just one of the things I've accepted about Microsoft's systems and frankly I think land lines are better for console gaming (no chance of getting dc'd outside of the connection going out). The only gripe I had when I bought my 360 was that I had to buy a recharge kit for my controller (which is entirely stupid, it should come with one for the controller you already own).

For the most part the 360 errors don't normally show themselves until roughly a year after it's bought. My friends is a year old and it went out on him like I said two weeks ago (then again he lives on his 360 and plays it continually, which seems to be a no no for the 360). Amount of time spent playing them daily and weekly play a big role on whether or not the system shows problems or not it seems (a friend of mine bought his 360 they day they hit shelves and it's still working fine for him and he hardly plays it).

Sadly though it's not hard to fill a 20 gig hdd DX. My 360's hdd is almost full and I regularly delete crap off of it.

The 40G is going to EU...Without B/C. Stupidest thing ever. Seriously, if they give us a 40G, which is also cheaper, without B/C I may just buy a 360 instead. Both the 360 and Ps3 have been deadlocked for me, so if it doesn't have it then I'm definitely going for the 360 instead.

...But in a way I'm sure they won't do this to the US, EU gets screwed over all the time so...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7030164.stm

A cut price PlayStation 3 (PS3) with a smaller hard drive and no backwards compatibility with previous consoles goes on sale later this month.

The £299 PS3 has a 40-gigabyte hard disk and will be released in Europe, Middle East, Australia and New Zealand.

Sony has also slashed the price of the 60GB model from £425 to £349, as it hopes to ignite sales.

Ray Maguire, head of PlayStation UK, said he expected the PS3 user base to double by Christmas.

Mr Maguire said the release of the 40GB PS3 was a "strategic decision" and not the result of lower-than-expected sales of the PlayStation 3.

"We have done market research, looked at fans' forums and the feedback from consumers is that they are anxious to get into PlayStation 3 but it is too expensive," he told BBC News.

Sony was the market leader in the previous two generations of console releases. However, Nintendo is now in pole position closely followed by Microsoft's Xbox 360.

To read more, click the link.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

The 40G is going to EU...Without B/C. Stupidest thing ever. Seriously, if they give us a 40G, which is also cheaper, without B/C I may just buy a 360 instead. Both the 360 and Ps3 have been deadlocked for me, so if it doesn't have it then I'm definitely going for the 360 instead.

...But in a way I'm sure they won't do this to the US, EU gets screwed over all the time so...

The US is the biggest gaming market in the world, even more so than Japan, we don't get screwed over. :P

I have them both. I haven't had time to finish writing a vs. comparison but here is a short version.

360 has a bigger game library and their online network is more impressive... but that is because it isn't free and far ahead dating back to their previous console. That being said, you still have to pay the same price if not more for most of the network games, even after the Xbox Live Fee. The downloads run faster and the display is more attractive, thats about it besides the achievements/gamerscore system.

My first 360 was a lemon, I had to return it. It was the first lemon console I have ever purchased, A LOT of my friend encountered the same issue. The employee at Gamestop even said it was common and his friend has gone through 6 360's already.

As far as console construction the PS3 is insanely superior in quality. The 360 feels and sounds flimsy. It really feels like an empty console, It probably could have been made about as big as the Wii. Its not only louder than the PS3 but also gets warmer than the PS3, despite what any Xbox fanboy that doesn't own a ps3 would tell you.

Controllers. The PS3 will soon feature its own rumble controller. Controller preference is really up in the air. I personally feel like if you took the 360's joysticks and trigger buttons and put them on the Sixaxis frame, you'd have the ultimate controller. I hate the R1/L1 paddle buttons on the 360, they don't even feel like buttons, but the joysticks are superior in grip. PS3's is lighter, but we will see when it has rumble. The Sixaxis not only takes less time to charge, but the battery life is better, and its on board. The 360's come with AA batteries and you have to buy the rechargeables separate, along with the charging station, which is a must.

The PS3 is more expensive for a REASON. If you purchased all the bells and whistles for the 360, that the PS3 already comes with, you spend about the same if not more. The only thing the 360 has over the PS3 hardware-wise is its rumble and headset. People act like their the same system and Sony is just trying to rip people off, which is far from the case.

But like I said, Xbox has more games as of right now, which overall gives them the edge. It really depends on what you're into, and what games you're waiting for. I own them both mainly because most my friends wouldn't stop bitching about how I need to get on Xbox live.

Good comparison so far DX. ^_^

as to the other post, no backwards compatibility. Fuck that. O_O

I think I'll wait for all the systems to do a good price drop. I can say right now that I'm more interested in buying a wii just for their online old game downloads.. but what I'd really like is a generic system for $50 that is just the wii online game download feature. There isn't much that interests me out for the wii and I don't want to buy it for just one feature that in the end would end up costing me a crapload overall in $5 to $10 game purchases.

The PS3 needs some big title rpgs for me to consider buying it even after another price drop (and only if it has b/c).. and the xbox360 looks good and I've heard good things for action titles, halo 3, gears of war, online game downloads, etc. but I need rpgs and plenty of them for me to justify spending money on these high price tags. :|

Gears of War is highly overrated. I have no desire to finish the game. I'm kinda disappointed i wasted money on it.

PSN has classic PS1 titles, but they aren't taking advantage of it. Theres only 8-10 titles available and only a few decent ones at that.

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/10/18/40_gb_playstati.html

The ongoing drama that is the PlayStation 3 just took another dramatic twist, this time in the form of a 40 GB variant and price cuts. I'll start you off slow. The current 80 GB PS3 will be receiving a $100 price cut immediately, making the sticker price $500. (Think there will be an uproar from early adopters?)

The next bigger tidbit of news is the newly introduced 40 GB PS3 that will be available November 2 for $400. There is a gigantic catch with this model. The smaller hard drive isn't the only change; this 40 GB model also lost the backwards compatibility that the 80 GB model includes. All of those old PlayStation games that you enjoy playing every once in a while will not work on the new 40 GB PS3. Sony says this is because those who really want to play PS2 games will play them on their PS2. Come on Sony! It is simply out of convenience!

Another PS3 price drop. with no backwards compatibility. Fuck that.

Not just hardware compatibility, Sony's not even releasing the sort of software updates Microsoft decided to go with--no PS2 on the PS3 whatsoever. The current systems with the PS2 hardware which received the price drop have sold like crazy and are nearly impossible to find. We just netted one on Ebay for $300, barely. (Though I still hate the PS3 and argued against it vehemently.) Sony doesn't seem to give a damn about their fans anymore, why give a damn about Sony?

Tellah2.jpg

Not just hardware compatibility, Sony's not even releasing the sort of software updates Microsoft decided to go with--no PS2 on the PS3 whatsoever. The current systems with the PS2 hardware which received the price drop have sold like crazy and are nearly impossible to find. We just netted one on Ebay for $300, barely. (Though I still hate the PS3 and argued against it vehemently.) Sony doesn't seem to give a damn about their fans anymore, why give a damn about Sony?

Wal-Mart doesn't care about its customers, so why care about Wal-Mart? .... *runs away very fast* X'D