Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Lab-grown skin to replace bunnies in makeup trials

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/07/30/labgrown_skin_t.html

episkin.jpg

We may be decades away from eating meat that's been grown in a lab, but we should be starting to benefit from lab-grown skin in the very near future. Scientists at L'Oreal have invented a product called Episkin, which is basically a layer of skin cells grown from human "donor skin cells" in a Petri dish. These small amounts of skin can be used to test beauty products that would have otherwise been tested on animals. Episkin can tan, and can be made to "age" with high exposure to UV light.

The skin is being hailed as an important step in cruelty-free cosmetics, at least in Europe, where an animal beauty product-testing ban sets in 2009 (the practice is banned in the U.K. already). We'd like to think that lab-grown skin would be yet more useful: shouldn't Episkin be seen as an important step towards lab-grown (and therefore cruelty-free) pork crackling?

save those bunnies!

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

yes bunnies are made for eating not makeuping!

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Now the bunny population will grow out of control and kill us off in twenty years. We have just doomed ourselves and the race in a whole. :(

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Off the original topic, I will never eat meat grown in a lab. That definitely does not help the environment, infact it totaly f*cks it over. Cows, pigs, and chickens would have to be exterminated for population control... might as well keep eating them. That is the way nature intended it.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

no artificial meat for me either. eww

the idea of grown skin used to test shit tho is an excellent idea and a long overdue one

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

That means I'm out of job! :( No more perfume in the eyes for a twenty spot. Now, how will I provide for my family?

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Yeah, but sadly you know it will be used for more wasteful things like cosmetic surgery. make everyone look young again that can afford it. 90 year old women looking like 20 year olds. That is a scary thought @_@.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

DX: well, if they're going to do animal testing anyways, I'd rather they test for things like helping cure cancer rather than cosmetics. This can at least that that out of the equation. *shrugs*

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Sign in to follow this