Sign in to follow this  
Dubird

Nancy Drew?????

Ok, when we went to see POC3, I saw a poster for a Nancy Drew movie. I was not happy. I mean, I know how a lot of stuff from my childhood has been 'remade' to be PC or more 'cool' for kids. But I didn't think much of it. I figured it'd be Scooby-Dooish, which is bad, but at least the characters are there and they're semi-correct.

Then I saw a commercial for it today.

It's much, MUCH worse than I thought.

Apparently, she's some girl that was all popular at home, but when she goes off to school, she's not popular anymore. Seriously. That's what the preview narrerator guy actually says. No mention of Bess and George, or even Ned her BOYFRIEND in all of the incarnations of the books, from the original to the 'Case Files' series that happened in the late 80's-early 90's. I'm not entiery sure how the whole SOLVING MYSTERIES falls into place there, if it even does, considering that's what she's SUPPOSED to do; indeed, in every single Nancy Drew book, the premise is that she's a teen detective and solves mysteries. What's sad is that I'm sure she'll uncover some Scooby-Dooish ghost thing and that will make her popular.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I think I speak for anyone my age that grew up reading Nancy Drew stories and enjoyed them when I say STOP FUCKING UP MY FAVORITE CHILDHOOD BOOKS!!! I checked out the site for it, and yeah. There's a mystery. A haunted mansion. A fucking haunted mansion. As in, Scooby-Doo haunted. (yes, i'm using that a lot. that pretty much explains it) Yeah. Not happy about this at all. I mean, I knew it was only a matter of time before it was done, but why so badly???? *sobs* Please, don't let your loved ones see this movie!!! Make them read the books. They're all short, written for younger girls, and very easy reads. And so much better!! *dies*

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

I love the books. There were some of my favorites growing up, and they're still good. (ok, very hokey considering how young they're written for, but then I don't actually read them anymore, just the ones i add to my collection that i didn't have growing up, and that only because i read every single book i own) Yes, she cared about looks and how she got along with people, but not all that much. She was a strong, independent and intelligent young woman who did enjoy seeing her boyfriend and hanging out with her friends, but took on some serious and life threatening mysteries and came out on top. She was a damn good role model for young girls, and now, that seems to have been ruined. I guess it goes to show just how badly things have gotten, really. I mean, apparently being popular is much more important that being smart, and heaven FORBID they actually show something scary that could be REAL to younger kids. -_-

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

I saw read the books too when I was younger and I was horrified when I saw the preview for the movie. They totally ruined the concept of Nancy Drew and conformed her to what 'new age role model for girls' they think she should be. It pisses me off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

I was never a ND fan but I feel your pain. I've seen some of the books I really enjoyed (The Lost World and Queen of the Damned were horrible) trashed on film.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I loved the Boxcar Children! I read em all :P

I think I liked the no parents gig X'D

I bet they could pull off a Ramona and Henry movie for kids :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers