Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

What laptop to buy?

Talking to Sledge and Eppy about the whole power aspect hit me in the head ... you guys are right, I kinda don't need that much power at the end of the day for the kinda things I want to do ... I'm just a regular guy who wants to watch 'shtuff' without any problems.

Thanks to Eppy, I went with this today -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117941

My second Sony product, followed by my Sony Discman. My dad was surprised I didn't do pots of research on this, etc. and just bought it. So, thanks Eppy! And, thanks Sledge for the advice and going through all the silly questioning! I think we'll find ourselves back in this topic 3-4 years from now, with more stupid questions from me X'D.

So here we are and this is what I've decided to do. I'm not going to wait for Windows 8 because by the time it's released and people review it hard it'll either be half or the last quarter of the year 2012. So here's what I'm looking at -

1. upgrade my 6 GB Ram to whatever I can upgrade it to, depending on what J&R has on them for my Ram spec.

2. buy and upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows Vista ($99 for the upgrade, doesn't include purchasing the actual OS)

They said it would take a few days for them to do this, I don't care. Let them break their head over it cos I have no time. I'll stay in late at work to cover for not being able to work from home.

In the meantime I've also called an electrician to earth all my electrical outlets cos my router keeps dying on me every 10/ 15 minutes, it's RIDICULOUS. So I'm wiping my system clean and I'll be earthing my outlets. If the modem times out or my laptop doesn't pick signal, I'm .. going .. to .. have .. a .. seizure .. and .. throw .. it all at my wall.

Tonight I'll start moving everything to my external HD's. I hope I have room, otherwise I'll have to use 'her'.

Edited by Godgrave

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

In the meantime I've also called an electrician to earth all my electrical outlets cos my router keeps dying on me every 10/ 15 minutes, it's RIDICULOUS. So I'm wiping my system clean and I'll be earthing my outlets. If the modem times out or my laptop doesn't pick signal, I'm .. going .. to .. have .. a .. seizure .. and .. throw .. it all at my wall.

Tonight I'll start moving everything to my external HD's. I hope I have room, otherwise I'll have to use 'her'.

8GB of RAM and Win 7 is really really nice. :D:tup:

BTW, how old is your router? They only last at peak performance for a couple years. We ended up getting this router and its a huge performance over what we did have:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-802-11n-Internal-Antenna/dp/B0044YU60M

But you have the ultimate Road Runner package right? Maybe you might be better off with an even stronger router to maximize your speed? Or a router with a stronger signal strength to cut through the conflicting signals in your apt building?

and... whats 'her' ? O_O

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I'm gonna get 8/ 12 GB Ram just so it jizzes every time I hit 'Enter' X'D. It all depends on IF they can up it that much and IF they have the Ram spec that goes with my Vaio model.

Time Warner's modem is about 3 weeks old now. The guys came over and changed it, I've had the 50 mbps connection since October. There's no additional router set up though, just their modem/ router thingie.

She's a secret ... I can't hide for long ... soon though, soon she'll be introduced.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.