Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

What laptop to buy?

bah its not like you are calling from another country anymore :-P

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

I know ^_^ ... Eppy, come kidnap me please hahaha X'D

Is it true that a person can tap into another person's wireless account? How could I secure mine, solely for my use? Does multiple tapping reduce bandwidth/speed?

That last question's really dumb, but someone has to take the heat and ask that X'D

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Whenever you log on to a wireless network connection make sure you use a secure connection that requires a wireless network key (a 20+ alphanumeric number that the wireless router uses to encrypt your connection). If you jump on any random hotspot connection, like a mcdonalds or some other random hotspot near an office, etc., assume that anything you do through your browser or any other program that makes a connection to the internet is completely viewable to someone with the right programs.

If you have a wireless router at your place soley for your own internet connection, then you'll have to reference your wireless router's instruction manual about setting up security. Usually you have to login to your router and click a couple tabs to enable the security key. Then you have to type in that security key into your laptop's wireless connection panel and you're done.

If you do not have a secure wireless router, than anyone can see your wireless network as a hotspot and jump on and start browsing the internet, sucking up your bandwidth and that would slow down your overall connection. Btw, if you plan on downloading torrents with your laptop, take the blue network cable and plug your laptop directly into your router for the fastest possible connection. Wireless connections run usually around 54 mbps at max, but if you directly connect to the router you'll get about 100 mbps which will make your torrent downloads about twice as fast.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Wow, that's exactly what I needed to know, on the same lines. Because right now the laptop I'm sitting on, my roomies', well he's connected to our neighbors router thingie and well, the service isn't bad (but it is free at this moment), but then again it could be better/faster. I didn't buy a router when I picked up the laptop, shucks >_> ... what service provider's got good deals? I think my roomie has ComCast as his television service provider.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

comcast is the best cause its cable...dsl is teh suck :P and they arent that expensive if you eventually get your own service i guess

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Thanks for the recco! I'll only have to wait a while cos my Social Security will take another 2 weeks or so, then I apply for a Credit Card, and THEN I'll apply for it independantly cos being a new customer I've heard I'll get good/better deals than existing customers. Right now though, lemmi ask my roomie if he wants to split the fare ... ofcourse, I hope he has a router :P

BUMP.

So I waited a week from getting it just because I've never worked on a laptop before and was just ... scared to be honest :happy:. Seeing the many cds that came in the box I felt intimidated that I'd have to install stuff on it, thank god everything was pre-installed!

Question - I have no partitions to the hard-disk, it's just one C drive with 78 usable GB space. I've never been comfy working on just one drive, how do you guys do it? Any recommendations?

just don't mess with the windows or program files folders and you'll be fine. :P One partition works out ok and you'll be able to utilize the full size of your harddrive. You could always make a folder in your c drive and organize everything in it like it was another drive. btw, did you get the larger capacity battery? We didn't think much about it, but Lady's laptop battery runs out pretty fast. If we'd have known it would run down so quick we'd have bought the larger battery. I think we'll pick another one up someday. Maybe our batteries' plus store has a good one cheaper than dell. *shrugs*

oh, and go through and uninstall all their trial software they installed. It'll clear up more hard drive space. Stuff like snapfire, their microsoft office trial (unless you actually bought office thru them, its probably a trial version on your laptop, you should double check.) Theres other software too, just browse around and look at what they put on there. Also, I recommend you uninstall the mcaffee anti-virus/firewall combo they put on there and install the free antivirus avast, google it to find it, it works better, more efficient and takes up much less memory/harddrive space. oh, and install zone alarm for a fire wall. And don't forget your spamware, download and install adaware and spybot. and you should probably uninstall their games package that uses 'wildtangent', adaware constantly states that wildtangent is spyware. also, most of those games in that package are also trials.

Lady, get your Saturn fixed and come kidnap me with my laptop, I'm freaking out here with all these weird programs on my computer, pre-installed ... dunno what to do!
Like right now every 5 minutes there's a pop-up saying Windows Security downloaded some new updates and your computer will re-start, I keep clicking 'Not now' ... I think this's their automatic update feature. Easy way out would be to meet Eppy or you and clear up my system ^_^

Good advice on the drive-part. Uhmmm I actually don't know if I chose the best capacity for the battery ... it says "85 Whr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery" on my invoice. Good/bad? Ohhh I'm going to get Avant for sure, right now I've always unclicked on the Norton installation whenever my computer starts.

Also, I feel the laptop getting hot after a while, what's a solution? Should I put a fan or something nearby X'D just a thought.

Short of a quarter on completing 3 faithful years with Chii, I'm thinking of giving her away to my parents. Few things -

I need to decide by Oct 15-20

Budget isn't a major issue, as yet

I don't want another Dell, but might re-consider if the price is good

I was floored by Eppy's laptop

Do I need a Blu-Ray Burner? I'm guessing yes because it's the technology that opens up a lot more in the next few years to come.

Link me to some really cool specs out there.

I don't want an Apple.

In Dec 06, Dell could only upgrade my laptop to a 2 GB RAM and I got the quickest processor and compromised on the internal HD space cos of it. I don't mind compromising again, as long as I have the quickest/ quicker-than-the-regular-lot processors.

My brother recently bought a laptop from bestbuy. It wasn't the absolute top of the line, but it seemed to be pretty damn nice for around $800. I don't think what he bought is available anymore as he bought it on sale as an end of year model I think.. but then again, I could be wrong.

Ok, so I checked out the HP site, and almost built my laptop. I checked out all the models and I decided not to go with something too big to make up for the convenience on the Subway.

Kinda zero'ed in on the HDX16t series ... didn't go with the dv6t series because the only difference is the former has HD screen/ display options.

Quick silly questions -

1. What's the diff between Vista Premium and Vista Ultimate? What'd you recommend?

2. 512MB NVidia GeForce 9600M GT or 1GB? How will this help?

3. FREE Upgrade to Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer

Experience visually stunning movies that far surpass traditional DVDs

or

Blu-Ray +/-R/RW with SuperMulti

Does the lower option imply that it's a Blu-Ray burner + DVD burner combo?

4. Guessing 12 cell is better than 6 cell?

5. Purpose of a docking station?

All of you computer geniuses ANSWER!!!

Edited by Godgrave

my battery gets man handled on this comp XD

eppyomega.png

I wonder if upgrading to the more powerful stuff would cause your battery power to be consumed faster? :confused:

it does :(. That's why it's best to shut off things you don't plan to use when the computer is unplugged.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Talking to Sledge and Eppy about the whole power aspect hit me in the head ... you guys are right, I kinda don't need that much power at the end of the day for the kinda things I want to do ... I'm just a regular guy who wants to watch 'shtuff' without any problems.

Thanks to Eppy, I went with this today -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117941

My second Sony product, followed by my Sony Discman. My dad was surprised I didn't do pots of research on this, etc. and just bought it. So, thanks Eppy! And, thanks Sledge for the advice and going through all the silly questioning! I think we'll find ourselves back in this topic 3-4 years from now, with more stupid questions from me X'D.

little late and laptops you never want to build yourself :P he works 16 hours a day so he doesnt need a desktop

eppyomega.png

I'd go crazy if I had to build anything ... cos I'm a clutz X'D ... I'd be like "Senpai, please build it for me" *cute puppy eyes with a basket of hot wings from Dallas BBQ as an offering*

Simple question do you buy pre-built computers ie. Dell, HP, etc. or do you build your own and why?I always build my own, I have more trust in myself and never liked all the crap OEMs tend to install on pre-builts. Only system I bought was my laptop from Dell.

Our last computer & lady's laptop were a pre-built. If you're not into high end computer gaming (like me), pre-builts are really cheap way to go. I'd love to build an awesome system again, but I don't have the cash for something like that anymore. x_x

Guest hotedxop

While that may be correct for some, that could not be good for others. Your thought is a popular name in the world of that supplement. That was all beat to hell. Would you like to have your very own dell coupons? WTF, but I, in practice, sort of concede to that unpopular opinion.

Dell Promo Code