Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Firefox 2 & Internet Explorer 7

Has anyone tried out either of these yet? I upgraded to IE 7 a couple weeks ago, but just now got around to upgrading Firefox to version 2. IE 7 finally has tabbed browsing and a sleeker look. And it has a phishing filter and other features that seem to make pages load slightly slower. I'm assuming the security has been upgraded on it as well, but I hate how IE is integrated into the f*ckin OS. Some little language bar popped up on the bottom of my task bar that wasn't there before and I'm assuming theres probably other little bits here an there IE has done to my overall windows xp that I haven't noticed yet. :disgust:

Firefox 2 seems to run about the same, except the look is a bit better. *shrugs* I didn't see much of a difference off hand, but then again, I haven't looked at the changelog for it either.

One thing I did like about IE 7 that Firefox does not have is the tab thumbnail viewer. You click a little box and it shows a screen with thumbnail pics of every tabbed window. Pretty nice.

Whats everyone else's opinions?

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

As someone who's been using IE6 for a long time. IE7 seemed like it changed to much stuff, especially the favorites menu and stuff worked. I tried out Firefox 1 (and then 2) and like it much more. I still don't liked tabbed browsing and have it turned off :\

lightsig.jpg

Has anyone tried out either of these yet? I upgraded to IE 7 a couple weeks ago, but just now got around to upgrading Firefox to version 2. IE 7 finally has tabbed browsing and a sleeker look. And it has a phishing filter and other features that seem to make pages load slightly slower. I'm assuming the security has been upgraded on it as well, but I hate how IE is integrated into the f*ckin OS. Some little language bar popped up on the bottom of my task bar that wasn't there before and I'm assuming theres probably other little bits here an there IE has done to my overall windows xp that I haven't noticed yet. :disgust:

Firefox 2 seems to run about the same, except the look is a bit better. *shrugs* I didn't see much of a difference off hand, but then again, I haven't looked at the changelog for it either.

One thing I did like about IE 7 that Firefox does not have is the tab thumbnail viewer. You click a little box and it shows a screen with thumbnail pics of every tabbed window. Pretty nice.

Whats everyone else's opinions?

IE7 is the first out of the 7 to not be integrated into the OS. IE6 still is so your best to uninstall all IE components and then install IE7.

in my opinion IE did some great work. They really know there own OS which is good. When running IE and FF, IE uses less memory and after minimizing you notice IE uses even less where as FF uses more...makes no sense but IE seems to know what there doing.

Aside from that IE still uses ActiveX...which is a downside and still allows your computer to be infected...so your best to disable ActiveX unless you need it.

Firefox 2 I've been using since the alphas (Bon Echo). Im happy with the anti phishing feature. That's about all that's noticeable in 2.0. Although im looking forward to 3.0 since they plan to rewrite the Java engine since the current one is so dirty and open for exploits.

I use bolth browsers in my everyday work, I find IE faster but I like how FFs has free extensions. Just my 2 cents.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

anyone else notice the new spell check in FF2? pretty spiffy. but I can't stand seeing all quoted usernames being labeled as misspelled. *disables it* :P

:doh: I forgot to look at the free extensions. I clicked to install "tab category" and boom, just like IE7's feature. I'm pleased.

I like firefox, simply because the favorites toolbar, and i've noticed ever since i used it that spybot doesn't seem to have to work as hard. clearing out the temp memory is more user friendly also.

I've noticed the same. :nod:

I upgraded to IE 7 last week it took some time to get use to but i adjusted i really like that they put in tabs as this makes it so you don't have to have more than one page on your taskbar at a time. it also seems to run faster.

[sIGPIC]sigpic1369_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

well without FF in front of me Ill make a guess. If you cant delete it the normal way then no, you cant delete it. I can find out when I get back home wed though. Im sure if theres no a way theres a simple hack that can be done :) there alwase is.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's really nice

For all you Firefox users, is there a way to delete the bookmarks toolbar folder under the bookmarks tab?

As far as I can tell, you can't delete the folder, but you can take it off your main window. Click View > Toolbars > and then uncheck Bookmarks Toolbar.

Or if you haev an RSS tabbed bookmark, just right click and delete it. Or if you have multiple Bookmarks under the tab Bookmarks, you can sigularly delete specific ones by just right-clicking and punching delete ^_^

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I googled it and got an answer that works!

Firefox requires you to have a Bookmarks Toolbar Folder to have something to display when you choose View -> Toolbars -> Bookmarks Toolbar. The default folder for this purpose is called (aptly enough) "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder". To delete this folder, you must first designate another folder as the folder to display on the Bookmarks Toolbar.

1. Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks
  2. Click on any other folder
  3. Edit -> Set as Bookmarks Toolbar Folder
  4. Delete the folder called "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder"

lightsig.jpg

i never thought of that....^_^;.....

anyways, i switched to FireFox about two years ago, and i've never gone back....the main reason is the security....much better with FF....i personally don't like using tabs, so that's never been a thing for me....*shrugs*....

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Another feature about FF that's good is the 'download' window, which on multiple downloads is just one window at the end of the day, instead of multiple windows if you have many downloads on IE.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

They also have the Restore Session. Not sure if the new IE has this. but I love it. If the power goes out unexpectedly or the computer freezes up. Next time you boot up firefox it will ask you if you want to restore the last session that ended abruptly.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

They also have the Restore Session. Not sure if the new IE has this. but I love it. If the power goes out unexpectedly or the computer freezes up. Next time you boot up firefox it will ask you if you want to restore the last session that ended abruptly.
This's VERY interesting, is this an option in the settings of FF or is it an extension that I'll have to download (eg: AdBlock) ? Does it work if you've opened a couple of pages aka tabbed browsing ?

Its just automatic. I don't think there is a setting for it. Its just a memory recovery type thing. If you have to end process because some video plugin froze FF up, the next time you start up FF it will ask you if you wish to restore the previous session that was lost or start a new one. Its very nice.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Hmmm I don't have this, and I couldn't find it under 'Options' either, I guess when the time comes to upgrade to a higher version I'll un-install and re-install the whole thing.

Hmmm I don't have this, and I couldn't find it under 'Options' either, I guess when the time comes to upgrade to a higher version I'll un-install and re-install the whole thing.

You can check to see if its working by shutting down your computer without shutting off firefox first. Me and lady use two seperate logins on our main computer and if I left firefox on on my setting with 5 tabs open, then she shuts down the computer while I still had firefox running, the next time I load up firefox it asks if I want to reload my previous session including all my tab windows I had loaded.

I'll try it out tonight, sounds like a plan ^_^. I only hope my system doesn't die on me, it's supa old + sensitive X'D