Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

PS3: Initial Thoughts

Edit: dammit, i wish we could edit post titles. Initial Thoughts

Its shiney, it heavy, and its expensive. Finally I have the PS3 in my grasp.

The Console:

It sure doesn't feel very sony-like... or anything else for that matter. The thing turned on with the touch of a finger.. thats right, touch sensitive power button... not that I will ever use it seeing that i much rather use the wireless blue tooth controller to do that operation. The wifi picked up my router right away... but as with all new wireless things, my router has to be an ass about it so I will fiddle with that later. The interface is nice and simplistic, you can play mp3s you put on the hard drive, play movies, blah blah. Its pretty interesting. I havent looked at it all yet however because I am going out of town tomorrow for thanksgiving. The system is surprisingly quiet... more so than my PS2 was. I played it for 4-5 hours nonstop and no sign of getting hot.. just the usual warmth.

The Controller:

The controller is twice as light as the PS2 controller... does it feel cheap? No, infact its very nice. As I played Resistances, I realized how unimportant rumble really is, and didn't really miss as much as I thought I would, but a future addition of it wouldn't hurt. The L2 and R2 trigger buttons aren't as well designed as the 360's, but it is an improvement over the PS2s model. Otherwise the controller is basically the same. The directional pad is a bit more coarse, and its a welcomed change. The Tilt functionality I haven't had much chance to use, but what i have utilized so far is pretty cool. It charged fully in about 2 hours.

Resistance: Fall of Man

Killer game. I am having a blast with it. It doesn't utilized the full power of PS3 graphics, but neither do any launch titles eh? In the graphics department its superior to Half-Life 2. The violent shaking of the controller to shake enemies off you is awesome. I just love it... a hell of alot better than button mashing or wearing down your analog stick in mad rotation mode. I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but the story is pretty good and the weapons are sweet. I'll definitely be doing a review on this when I am done.

Well that is all for now.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Good to hear it's working great for ya DX. I'm still glad I'm waiting to get one though. I'm disappointed with its backwards compatibility problems, maybe they'll be remedied in a few months.

They actually have an official site for that. http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

you can check up on your games and see if they have problems and what problems you could expect.

Resistance is an unbelievable FPS. The weapons are just sweet. The interesting thing about this game is that there is no useless handgun that most FPS. The weapons are all balanced nicely, each with there strong points and weaknesses that leave you with plenty of options. Its really the first game I've played in which all the weapons are pretty equal if usefulness. Their ammo capacity and availability also makes sure you cant stick with one weapon the entire game. You have to become familiar with them all.

No plot spoils, but just incase you don't want to know anything at all, I made it a spoiler tag.

So far I have these Weapons:

M5A2 Carbine: You start with this, its strenghts is that it has a sight giving you the best shot in the sight view. Its the most accurate and has the most readily available ammo. Its secondary weapon is a 40mm RPG, its range isn't reliable, but it gets the job done. Capacity: 300 bullets (50 at a time) 3 RPGs.

BullsEye: this is a rapid fire weapon that shoots out light orbs. Its powerful but very VERY inaccurate, its spread is very big, but its excellent for fanning wildly into large groups, you will hit them all because of its fast fire rate... so whats with the name? Its secondary weapon is a bullseye tag that allows the primary fire to home in on the target. very useful for against an enemy that is unaware. Capacity (forgot primary, its around 250), 6 bullseye tags

Rossmore 236: Whats a shooter without a Shotgun? This thing is a beast. Instant kill at close range, pretty good damage from medium range. secondary fire is a double barrel blast. capacity: 24 (8 at a time)

Auger: This is a monster. It shoots out energy projectiles that pass through walls.. you cannot take cover from this weapon. In fact its better to get hit directly. For every object the projectile passes through, it gets stronger. Its secondary weapon fires out a impregnable shield that will only allow Auger fire through it, if an enemy touches it, it dies. Capacity: 80 (20 at a time), 5 shields... anyone that knows my RPGs on this forum, especially Strider, already knows that this is my FAVORITE gun, because of the secondary weapon alone :)

From what i have read, there are a few more in the game, and even more when you beat it once. I've only played 4-5 hours tops.

The AI is amazing.. they aren't stupid repetitive drones. they dodge your fire, they take cover, they come after you if you camp, they are very accurate with their fire. And you can catch them unaware like a real person.

Nice. :tup: That use of the tilt feature seems so fitting. If only you could have done that in all the old resident evil games. :P

I saw a PS3 at walmart a couple times now, but I haven't had a chance to play it. but then again, walmart's display has the monitor at some rediculous angle above the shevles so its actually better to watch others play it. The graphics look amazing on that lcd screen, but I gotta ask, do you have it hooked up to a standard tv with s-video? if so, hows the quality? I've never seen what one of the newer gen systems would look like on a standard tv, and I'm interested in knowing how it'd look on my old 27incher. ^_^

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I have a 20inch, and its really nice. Im not accustomed to a HDTV, although I want one. I kinda wish I could hook it up to this monitor. The graphics are still great. But even as the graphics improve, the gameplay is what this system is all about believe it or not. despite whether blu-ray succeeds or not, it will for the game industry. Or sony at least, HD-DVD can only hold half the information and DVDs hold less than 1/5th of what a blu-ray disk can handle. I'm still blown away about the AI.

I cant wait until Warhawk comes out to put the sixaxis to the real test.

EDIT: btw, I know what you mean, when it comes to retail chain's and there demo consoles. they put the tv to where you have to look straight up into the sky almost. its painful to the neck. but i guess they do that so people wont hog the machine... also why they no longer put real games on them. just demo's that normally reset in 5-10 minutes.