Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Crap

Since yesterday it's been the 3rd straight time in a row when in the middle of a dvd burning session my computer's re-started just outta the blue, within the first 10 minutes itself. I tried idling the computer while burning, then tried not idling the computer while burning and it still seemed to re-start. I've lost 3 blanks worth a 100 bucks already, this's just not happening :(. What do I do ? Earlier yesterday I got some windows error, I took a snap (on my cellphone) and I'll try getting it up here for the thread ... but would that be the cause of the re-starts ? Help. Note - It's only been re-starting when I'm burning something, otherwise it runs fine.

Image000-3.jpg

I have an 80 GB hard-drive capacity, and 'C' has 7 GB free; D has over 3 GB free; but E has just around 1 GB free. Just stating, incase it's an issue ?

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

MoonD, it came with my SONY dvd burner called NVIDIA. But yes, I know only 4.4 GB worth of space can actually fit into a 4.7 GB blank disc. That isn't the issue.

goku, I've had the software/burner installed since late last year, if I remember correct. The computer technie who got the burner for me had installed the software that came with it. When you say 'drive went bad' are you referring to the Dvd drive itself or some software/windows issues ?

EDIT: Right now I was able to burn 2 cd-r's with no problem of the system re-starting, bluuuuudy wierd. I'm too scared to try the dvd burning again, but why do you think it only alowed the cd-r to burn ? Or was I simply having a terrible day yesterday X'D

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

laser freq changes when burning cds...that is why PS2 lasers die faster if you play CD games and such cause it has to switch to cd style instad of dvd style

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Oooooo....the blue screen of death. Yes I get that quite frequently, the guys at Best Buy now know me by name and I've replaced my burn drives like three times this year.

I'm a pirate not a roll model...and yes I would steal that damn hand bag.

[sIGPIC]What's wrong, cat eat your tounge?[/sIGPIC]

MoonD, it came with my SONY dvd burner called NVIDIA. But yes, I know only 4.4 GB worth of space can actually fit into a 4.7 GB blank disc. That isn't the issue.

goku, I've had the software/burner installed since late last year, if I remember correct. The computer technie who got the burner for me had installed the software that came with it. When you say 'drive went bad' are you referring to the Dvd drive itself or some software/windows issues ?

EDIT: Right now I was able to burn 2 cd-r's with no problem of the system re-starting, bluuuuudy wierd. I'm too scared to try the dvd burning again, but why do you think it only alowed the cd-r to burn ? Or was I simply having a terrible day yesterday X'D

So its a CD-R/DVD burner? Then id agree with what Eppy said. I had a problem like what you have but it was with CD-R/RW burning. It ended up just being the burning software so one thing you could check for is to make sure your burning software is up to date if thats not the case then id suggest contacting the drive maker and telling them your problem. It sounds like the dvd writer part of your burner shit the bed.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

I could see the cause of the problem being the burner drive itself, but it brings up the blue screen of death? O_O maybe another issue could be memory or temporary harddrive space? when copying/burning a dvd, the software will only recognize/utilize the free space of whatever temporary folder it has on any 1 drive. if the biggest partition on your drive is "C" and it only has 7 gb of space and you're compressing a large 8 gb dvd, you'd need at least 4-8gb of free space just for the compression process. and if you were just at that borderline of free space and you used it all, then you would leave no extra space for window's virtual memory which should use (for probably best pc performance) about 10 percent of your total harddrive space on any one particular drive. you can probably burn cds without any problem because the temporary file sizes are drastically smaller.. but when you go to compress/burn a dvd, you're computer is probably running out of resources and it crashes.

try getting your "C" drive to around 15 gb of free space, then try burning a dvd again. if it fails then, its probably your dvd burning drive. oh, and don't forget to check the temp folder your burning software uses. if it crashes like that, its probably leaving the temporary files from those failed burn attempts on your harddrive and you'll have to delete them manually. hope this theory helps some.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

also maybe upgrading your burners firmware also...usually overlooked but helps

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link