Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

.WMA to .MP3

As the topic suggests, I need to know how to convert original music cd files into .mp3 file format. When I hit the 'Copy Music' function in Windows Media Player, it saves the album on my hard-drive, but in .wma format. All I want is for the songs to save in /mp3 format so I could transfer them onto my cellphone and play them there.

Please suggest ways I could either convert the .wma files to .mp3 or make it possible to save the music from the cd directly in .mp3 format ?

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

You can do that in Windows Media Player.... just hit Tools --> Options --> and then the Rip Music tab, and change the format to MP3. Then rip the songs from the CD as you normally would. No conversion necessary.
I tried this option first, and was a little puzzled. When I go into that tab there're 3 formats available;

- Windows Media Audio

- Windows Media Audio (variable bit rate)

- Windows Media Audio Lossless

There's a link to the side 'Learn more about MP3 formats' which takes me to a page where I've to pay for those mp3 rippers ^_^' ... I have WMP 9.0 running on Windows XP.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Ouch. Uhhmmm now I'll try out what Dx suggested and look for a converting thingie in the ripping software that came with my Dvd-Rom. I don't have i-Tunes.