Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Windows XP software problem

I've had XP for quite some time now, maybe since late last year or something. Just yesterday when I got home from work, I put the monitor on (usually I leave the computer on through the day for my downloads) and it'ad restarted funnily. The login page had a huge message saying the XP version you possess is a counterfit version, click here to obtain the real version. I was like 'Huh, why didn't the turn up before ? Why now?' ... still have no clue why this message popped up now. Usually when XP's running there's a small icon on the start-up for Windows Updates, well since yesterday, the icon which used to be a yellow baloon's just turned into a star icon indicating the same message. If I double-click, the 'Run' window pops up with msconfig autotyped, waiting for me to click Yes or Cancel and http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/nonGenuine.aspx?displaylang=en&Error=8&PartnerID=101&Loc=IND&sGuid=adb319ad-1556-4e97-b720-0ecf30028e63

page pops up.

Solutions ? I'm going to contact the guy who installed XP sometime mid afternoon. Will a day come when my XP just doesn't load or work (like most software demo versions that work for a month's trail notice) ?

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I would assume that eventually your windows will probably stop working, but that may not be the case. Microsoft released an update about this 2 or more weeks ago, which you may have just gotten installed on your comp.. I always check the updates windows xp automatically downloads and then decide if I want to install them or not. Well, the update I'm talking about is a Windows Verification update.. it says something like: "This will check your OS to see if you are using a legitimate version of Windows XP, and if not, will notify you and guide you to purchasing one."

Even tho I have legitimate installations, I refused to install this update. Turns out this shitty update will make your pc connect to one of microsoft's servers, bypassing your firewall and then run a license/version check at least once or twice every 24 hours, automatically. (they may have changed this recently to only check 3 or four times a week now.) But if you're getting that error, whoever installed your windows xp used a bogus disk or its possibly not registered. If you can somehow get that update uninstalled off your computer it could return to normal. if not, get a new windows xp cd or do a clean install of your Operating system and refuse those couple of windows updates related to this.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Can you log into the admin account at all? Just to a system restore back to before you think the windows genuine software was auto updated. Then it should be fine. Keep in mind you will loose anything you installed or downloaded from that day to now so back up your files.

FYI. MS's Genuine checker sucks dont ever install it lol.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Yeah, thats what its called. "Genuine checker" phesh. I didn't think a system restore point would revert windows updates tho? if it does, then that would be the way to go. I think theres an option when doing a system restore that will let you keep all your current documents tho.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I think you can uninstall updates from the Add New Programs box...there's a check box to show updates and I think you can uninstall from there....

Ya there is but I think MS' disabled the uninstall for the Gen checker so it makes it a tad bit harder to get off your system. If all else fails search google for help. Theres loads of stuff with people having issues just like you.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Man, reading all your comments makes me realize this's a bigger problem, it never hit me that bad yesterday. Usually updates are always checked for every once in a while and while some have been security ones, this one seems to have ruined it for me :( ... I called the computer chap and he won't be here till next week. Hope nothing happens till then. I've had downloads reach 80-90% after 3-4 months ^_^' ! I'll try what Dubird suggested in a bit.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.