Sign in to follow this  
Wolflord

Character names

I can never think of character names =/ Not even in regular stories where people are supposed to have regular names. It's starting to get to me, because I'm sitting there and I'm like "okay wtf now?"

Titles have become easier after I took Dubie's advice ^_^ (write the title after the book is done)

aomsehri \|/

This post is definitely my greatest contribution to the site.

picking names is always such a bitch for me too -_-; I go through baby names from several countries when picking names unless I just think up the name on my own

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

picking names is always such a bitch for me too -_-; I go through baby names from several countries when picking names unless I just think up the name on my own

I can never think up the goddamn name. It always pisses me off. I'll try the baby-name thing

aomsehri \|/

This post is definitely my greatest contribution to the site.

* Objects in the room

* names of buildings/officials/flowers/trees. Screw famous names, stick with the familiar. It's hard to make superstars work for you.

* misspelled words. Your to Yoru. Culligan Man to Callie Duncan. Rare but inspired.

Look around the room, use names that would seem obvious to you but not to anyone else, go by first instinct and take your character into consideration. Syllable count, gentle glide of words from your mouth, and let it happen.

why do I feel like an infomercial?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

D_Marx

For me I use a directory of baby name meanings put in the words that best describe the character and see what it gives me. In many case I will take two, or more, names and put them together to make a new name. I also will use obscure names from around the world.

Guest Smiley.rp

I type in "Medieval British names" to google, the Brits have the best names :P I often also use some Anglo-Saxon names, which are also primitive British names. if all else fails I resort to pulling names out of my a** :P.

I cannot pick chracter names either. The current fan fic Im writing I chose a random name. I used the name untill I developed the chracter more and she kinda earned her current name based on who and what she is. You can pick a name now and always change it later. I havn't posted my first few chapters on Fanfiction.net for that reason. I also used a website for japanese names. I don't remeber which one but it was a listing of japanese female names.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

First step: decide where the person is from.

Second step: check out names from that country.

Granted, just because someone is from France doesn't always mean they'll have a French name, but it gets you started. Also, think about your character. What are they like? What do they like? Can you think of any personality aspect that should be reflected in their name? For example, my name, Angela. Means 'angel'. (Of course, in my case it's more ironic than anything else ^_^;; ). Be mindful of their personality. Giving some huge, barbaric fighter that's 6ft tall and outweighs a tank a name like 'Yuki' is just wrong. ^_^; (Yuki means snow, btw).

Now, if it doesn't matter that their name reflects their personality, it really doesn't matter what you name them. Just look through and pick something you like. My name is Angela because my dad had a girl named Angela in one of his classes that he just thought the world of. (My middle name is the female form of his name, which is another way to go. Do you have names for their parents? Are they named after someone in their family?) Some people pick names for their kids because they like them, not because they mean anything.

Of course, if you're doing a fantasy world where you make up their names, it's all up to you. Just try and make names that are easy to say!! I don't read outloud, but if I come across a name that I can't pronounce, it does mess me up a bit.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Sign in to follow this