http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/columns/the-click.php?id=5

(10)Case Closed (aka Detective Conan)

Here's a title with the odds stacked against it. An attempt was made to bring this ultra-popular Japanese murder mystery series to Saturday morning children's television in the late 90's. Unfortunately, the constant, bloody homicides in nearly every episode made that task difficult, and it was eventually shelved. Until, however, Funimation picked up the series in 2004 and decided to make another go at it. Aside from some silly name changes brought forth at the behest of the Japanese licensor, the localization of the series surprisingly thorough, smart, and best of all, in tone with the Japanese original. I'm saddened by the fact that the series was never a hit, but that was probably inevitable with something that was too adult for US kiddie audiences and too immature for US adult audiences. You can pick up the first season on rather inexpensive two-disc sets; I highly recommend it for predictable yet highly entertaining Nancy Drew-style detective antics.

(9)Robotech

I know this particular inclusion is likely to draw groans and fits of anger from the Macross die-hards out there, but seriously, this heavily re-written adaptation of three unrelated mecha properties from Japan remained, at the time, the most intelligent and intriguing animated series on the syndicated TV landscape in its time. Besides, the original, unaltered Macross is now out on DVD thanks to the fine folks at ADV, so don't you think its high-time you put that Carl Macek effigy to rest?

(8)Pokemon

There's also something to be said for a show that can capture the cultural zeitgeist as purely as Pokemon did in its heyday. The colorful adventures of Nintendo's copious critters no doubt got many, many kids to stick around and see what other niceties Japanese animation had to offer. That, and I can't think of any other anime properties that could garner a 40-million dollar opening weekend in US theaters.

(7)Samurai Pizza Cats

There've been many attempts before and since Samurai Pizza Cats to “punch up” the source material with added jokes, puns, and other foolery. None of them have ever been able to absolutely nail it as thoroughly as Saban's adaptation crew managed to do. Amazing, considering that much of the scripts were actually ad-libbed.

(6)Gundam Wing

On the day that Gundam Wing first premiered on Cartoon Network's “Toonami” block of action cartoons, as seismic rift occurred in the perception of how TV dubs “should” be. For example, minimal edits, no name changes, with the original music, and even the original “eyecatches” that would signal a commercial break. That the show was a screaming success solidified this fact.

(5)Lupin III

Somehow, Geneon and the fine folks at Phuuz managed to both add genuinely funny material to their adaptation and still remain true to the tone of the original series. As odd as Shaq references are in an animated series created in the 1970's, somehow it all works.

(4)Astro Boy

Fred Ladd's original dub of the first anime TV series ever still remains one of the best. Obviously it hasn't held up the greatest when compared to how easily anime series can be dubbed in these modern, computerized times, but considering the small staff and especially small budget Ladd had to work with its surprisingly dark and edgy compared to the fluffy kids' programming of the time.

(3)Dragon Ball

Funimation used all of the clout they gained from transforming Dragon Ball Z into a full-fledged mega-hit by doing the unexpected; dubbing the original, 1986 Dragon Ball series with stunning accuracy and reverence.

(2)Naruto

Nevermind the quibbling over the mildly annoying catchphrase of “Believe it!” or the outcry over the loss of the Japanese opening and endings (sadly, American television doesn't allow for 90 precious seconds that could instead be used for commercails). Viz's TV dub of definitely the biggest anime property in the past many years took everyone in the industry by surprise. There was much skepticism of how some of the darker, more sinister aspects of the series could be handled on what is, essentially, children's television – then, the show premiered with a TV-PG rating and with episodes virtually uncut.

(1)Fullmetal Alchemist

The FMA dub is a perfect adaptation, in the sense that it both stays very close the original Japanese script but also flows like it wasn't a translation at all. I couldn't think of a better vehicle to demonstrate the effectiveness of anime and especially animation in general in portraying drama and intrigue.

Hmm i dunno if I agree with all of these.. I definantly think FMA is the best Dub, and GW belongs in the top 10... frankly im surprised Bebop isnt on the list.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

eh.. I dunno about that list myself. :P my top ten are:

1) Fruits Basket

2) Fullmetal Alchemist

3) Fushigi Yugi

4) Golden Boy

5) Steamboy

6) Gundam Wing

7) Full Metal Panic

8) Outlaw Star

9) Rurouni Kenshin

10) InuYasha

11) Cowboy Bebop (added an 11th. :P)

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Cowboy Bebop is one of the best dubs I've seen.

FLCL

Fruits Basket

FMA and Naruto in english? Please. :rolleyes: They screwed up Envy and Roy. Sakura sounds like she's talking w/ her fingers up her nose, Shino and Kiba's voice actors suck and that fucking "Belive it" makes me feel all kinds of violent. -_-;

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

By good dubs you mean voice actors doing justice to the character and the language as well ? How'd we ever know if the translations in the subtitles are acurate *hides before being pelted with tomatoes ...* :happy:

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

are you talking about dubs or subs GG?

meh. anyway..

well in general VAs make the anime more enjoyable considering you have to listen to it as well as watch. and just from watching an anime, you can get the gist of what the particular character is like based on events as the series progresses. generally, the VAs voice should fit the personality and feeling that the character puts out.

radicalcabbitbannercopy.jpg

I agree with that list somewhat... I'm suprised YYH wasn't on their all the VA's were good cept for Kuwa who was more annoying than the Jap VA. And on Naruto I love that catch phrase cracks me up every time! X'D

Neji-Sig.gif[/url]

By good dubs you mean voice actors doing justice to the character and the language as well ? How'd we ever know if the translations in the subtitles are acurate *hides before being pelted with tomatoes ...* :happy:

when comparing the english voice actors to the original japanese voice actors.. for me its got more to do with the emotion in the voice and the way the voice presents the character.

Fruits Basket and Cowboy Bebop are both great examples of the voices truely matching up with the characters, their facial expressions, feelings, etc.

while other dubs don't always hit the mark..

the goofy idiotic english voice of Gai Sensei in Naruto pisses me off. While Gai is elaborate and talks "cool" in japanese, in english he sounds like a moron.

Inuyasha is good in english, but the japanese inuyasha actually growled frequently when he was pissed off.. maybe because hes a dog demon.. little things like that get cut all the time too.

and kuwabara's english voice.. wtf. X'D

I can understand cutting words or phrases or translating dattebayo to "Believe It!" for editing reasons and lip syncing.. but damn. sometimes they really screw up. -_-

I just pray that Bleach will be a good dub. If Itchigo sounds like Naruto, I'll be pissed. :nod:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

and kuwabara's english voice.. wtf. X'D

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that same VA does that dragon in Dragonball that made the earth shake with his wiggly wiskers, which was really a volcanic reaction.

Wow I'm surprised with a few on that list. I agree with everyone about GW it subs were awesome. The anime that made me laugh the most at the subs was Kenshin... man compared to the japanese voices i thought they blowed so much. The first episode I saw on CN made me laugh so hard at the voices I thought I was going to cry.

kujasig.gif

I agree with some of them up there. I, however, want to stangle them for putting Robotech up there. Not only was the dub bad but Robotech is a seriously bad anime and a butchering of the great Macross at that. I still want to kill the people that made Robotech *goes off ranting about Robotech sucking and what not*

I'm surprised not to see Bebop up there. That is by far the best dub ever done.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I remember the first time sledge n I watched Slayers in english. We were like wtf!?

I like Berserk in english though :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

1. Fullmetal Alchemist

2.Outlaw Star

2.Cowboy Bebop

4.FLCL

5.Trigun

6.GW

7.Wolf's Rain

8.YYH(sans Kuwabara*ugh*)

9.Naruto

10. One Piece(really only for Zoro's voice, Luffy drives me bat-shit)

That is my list...*shrug* nothing special, but those are some of my faves.:)

"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."--Ken Gor, Ying hung boon sik II

[sIGPIC]Dattebayo!!![/sIGPIC]

Thank you to everyone who has ever made me sigs, you are all wonderful!

Full Metal Alchemist, Fruits Basket, Naruto are al great in Jap voices, not heard their English equivalents ... yet. Sabe, Wolf's Rain's English voice actors do sound justice, good choice !

How about Ghost In A Shell - Stand ALone, Second Gig ... they've used the same English voice actors for both series' and they're damn good. How's the series in Jap ? Dragonball's Jap voices sound like they're talking in a room with a high percentage of helium in the air ...

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Full Metal Alchemist, Fruits Basket, Naruto are al great in Jap voices, not heard their English equivalents ... yet. Sabe, Wolf's Rain's English voice actors do sound justice, good choice !

How about Ghost In A Shell - Stand ALone, Second Gig ... they've used the same English voice actors for both series' and they're damn good. How's the series in Jap ? Dragonball's Jap voices sound like they're talking in a room with a high percentage of helium in the air ...

I think SAC has outstanding dub VAs.

DBZ: X'D FRREEEEEEZZAAA