Sledgstone

What book are you currently reading?

I just finished Michael Crichton's book Congo, which was pretty good. I'm reading Sphere now and by the way its reading, I have a feeling it'll be a better book. But I'm really looking forward to reading Eaters of the Dead next (aka The 13th Warrior) its amazing how most of that book is based off a true story. *dies of anticipation*

So what are you reading, have read recently, or are about to read? ^_^:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I love Michael Crichton! I have most of his books at home....

the latest book I read was Digital Fortress by Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code), which I read on the plane ride home from NYC last Friday.

But can you save me? From the ranks of the freaks who could never love anyone...

Digital Fortress was really unimpressive ^_^ and The Sphere is so much better on paper than it was on film.

Reading (on and off) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, when will I ever finish this X'D !

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I'm reading New Spring, the prequel to the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I like the medieval theme of it, and I've always loved the medieval times, so I thought it would be a good choice. Apparantly, I was right.

flcloa0.jpg

Fooly Cooly is when you do this with your hands...:la:

I am going to be finishing Calling on Dragons by Patrice C. Wrede then I will be starting Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. I tend to prefer Fantasy novels to anything else, but I have been known to read Sci-fi every now and then.

Just finished reading Halo: First Strike on Sunday. Was a pretty good book actually. Trying to get my friend to get his hands on the other two he borrowed out to another friend. Kinda want to read those one's now.

As of now, however, I'm not reading anything. Thinking of rereading American Gods or shelling out some money for "Nausea". My Philosophy teacher recommended that I should read it (being athiest and all). Might pick that one up, he says it's extremely depressing.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Just finished Prince of the Blood by Raymond E. Feist and starting on The Kings Buccanear, also by Raymond E. Feist

Just finished the Rift War series, which is ALSO by Raymond E. Feist. (He has to be my favorite author)

Thanks Lady ^^Kuroneko_copy.jpg

Sphere is one of my favorite Chricton books.....at the moment i'm re-reading The Elienum, by David Eddings.....good fantasy series, good characters...i like reading most of his stuff because he's got a good sense of humor....it's not Discworld type humor, but a bit more realistic i think....

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Anyone read Anne Rice? Another book that I finished a while ago was Interview with a Vampire. That book just dragged on and on for me. And half of Memnoch the Devil should have been completely discarded. But lady has told me good things about The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned and Tale of the Body Theif.. So I'll have to finish up the series sometime this year.

I finished Cell a while ago... It wasn't very good :/

Thats a shame. :\ Is it better than Rose Madder or Gerald's Game tho? I wasn't impressed with either of those.

Anyone read Anne Rice? Another book that I finished a while ago was Interview with a Vampire. That book just dragged on and on for me. And half of Memnoch the Devil should have been completely discarded. But lady has told me good things about The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned and Tale of the Body Theif.. So I'll have to finish up the series sometime this year.

Interview was dull, and Memnoch was lacking.

The middle three are definitely the best. Another good one by her is "Merrick." It's like the Mayfair Witches meets the Vampire Chronicles. Very good. I don't read much Rice anymore. I got a hold of "Mists of Avalon" and didn't look back.

Right now I'm reading J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring" for my English Literature class. I must admit that reading their escape from the Shire wasn't nearly as boring this time through. It's much better in print than those "movies" that were made.

stinkbannermed.gif

stinkbannermed.gif

stinkbannermed.gif

Interview was dull, and Memnoch was lacking.

The middle three are definitely the best. Another good one by her is "Merrick." It's like the Mayfair Witches meets the Vampire Chronicles. Very good. I don't read much Rice anymore. I got a hold of "Mists of Avalon" and didn't look back.

Right now I'm reading J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring" for my English Literature class. I must admit that reading their escape from the Shire wasn't nearly as boring this time through. It's much better in print than those "movies" that were made.

You'll find that the entire series on paper is much better than the movies. Not that I didn't like the movies. They put good faces with the names and helped me visualize the scale of some of the battles. But the books had so much more information in them and adds a great deal of depth that the movies lacked. The only problem is that Tolkien is very poetic and very descriptive, so a lot of people do get put off because of that. Which I think is a shame, because he had a gift for bringing a fantasy world to life through his words.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

I liked Rose Madder and I haven't read Gerald's Game yet... so, no. :\

Don't get me wrong tho, I did like Rose Madder, but compared to some of his other books the story line seemed a bit odd in the last 1/5 of the book. When they were both in the picutre world (probably mid world?) and they kinda did a minotaur chase thing.. it kinda lost me there. :|

and don't bother reading Gerald's Game. Theres a small connection to Dolores Clairborne in there, but thats all the book has going for it. bleh.

Yeah, lady mentioned something about the witches books being good too. I'll have to check those out.

I concur with Dubird on The Lord Of The Rings book, and the movie does leave out battle parts and a few interesting characters here n there. I'm probably gonna pick up Shantaram this weekend, another fatassed book, since it's pretty interesting - a bestseller written by an Australian (who serving a 19 year prison sentenc), he fled to India, and after a decade was recaptured and extradited. It's basically about his life here in India and a certain taxi-driver who becomes his side-kick. It digs into the roots of Mumbai city and is entailed with real life events (I think :P)

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I know that Tolkien does tend to ramble on a bit, but I felt that in the movies they emphasized too much on the romance between Aragorn and Arwen. Honestly, she's mentioned only about three or four times in the novels. The visuals with the battles help immensely and the movies do give a better sense of dread concerning the Black Riders. But the biggest disservice of the movies was in "The Return of the King." They chopped every monologue that had any meaning or substance (including my favorite part of the whole trilogy: when Eowyn faces the Lord of the Nazgul / the Witch King of Angmar).

All and all, Jackson did great visually, but needed to work a bit on keeping the essence. The movies are all right, but if he'd pushed himself a bit more, they would have been spectacular.

Back to books ... :) I have read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy a few times before (not as many as my father!), I'm just re-reading them for an English Literature class. Why not read something I like and get a grade for it?

stinkbannermed.gif

stinkbannermed.gif

stinkbannermed.gif

That sounds like a good plan. ^_^ I still haven't read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. :oops:

Speaking of trilogy tho, has anyone read any of the Star Wars novels? I know aqu has read some. ^_^ I started reading a Star Wars trilogy recently (Thrawn Trilogy).

I finished Heir to the Empire a while ago, but I'm missing the second book. :\ I'll have to pick it up from amazon soon so I can finish up. These Star Wars books are pretty damn good. The Courtship of Princess Leia is my favorite so far, a great story.

I have read two of the trilogies for Star Wars. I can't really remember which ones though. I also started reading the ones that focused more on teh twins as well. My parents had the original Star Wars trilogy books and the books that were about the early years of Hans' pirating career. I never got a chance to read those though. Maybe I should see if my parents still have those books...

I have read two of the trilogies for Star Wars. I can't really remember which ones though. I also started reading the ones that focused more on teh twins as well. My parents had the original Star Wars trilogy books and the books that were about the early years of Hans' pirating career. I never got a chance to read those though. Maybe I should see if my parents still have those books...

Those are probably

I liked em.

I've read every post RotJ book, and some of the prequel crap too -_-'

NJO will be fun for you Sledge :D

lightsig.jpg

dan brown bored the shit outta me. I didnt even get half way thru divinchi code before I gave up.... kept nodding off to sleep

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I just finished my 14th re-read of The Dark Half. I had forgotten how much I liked that book! George Stark is great, but I'm more interested in Alexis Machine. I wish King would write just one book featuring him.

Now that I have my library out of storage(mostly) I'm gonna sit with my King books, and re-read all of 'em! :D

"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."--Ken Gor, Ying hung boon sik II

[sIGPIC]Dattebayo!!![/sIGPIC]

Thank you to everyone who has ever made me sigs, you are all wonderful!