Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

.mkv help

Just downloaded a movie that is a .mkv extension format. I have Windows XP and tried playing it on DivX6.1, WinMediaPlayer, WinAmp and RealPlayer. I don't think they support it, and even when they go back to check if they need to download an update, it still doesn't find anything.

What do I do ? Is there a bundle pack for DivX I don't know about ? Weeehelp.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

screw the k lite pack...its a piece of crap goto http://cccp-project.net/ and get that pack...you will never have a problem running anything ever again...zoomplayer is almos tthe only player i ever use anymore for the fact that it is fast and simple

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

when i was at quakecon, i ran across this format...this is the instructions that came with it....i downloaded it, and it's really neat....works like a charm....

How to play MKV:

Windows media player should work.

To play the AC3 audio, you can download that codec here:

http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/

If you can't play MKV, try the small codec pack here:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022257/matroska/

Make sure to also install the VobSub option inside the pack,

or you probably won't see the subtitles.

Read the documentation about how to enable effects and karaoke in

Matroska or Vobsub. Because karaoke doesn't render easily or by

default, there isn't a lot included, and the effects being stripped

out doesn't change the viewing too much, so don't get hung up over it.

If you don't see the kanji for the songs and see garbage instead,

you may not have Japanese language support on your computer. In windows,

this can be installed under Control Panels -> Regianal and Language

Options. Once again, not overly vital, so don't get hung up about it.

If you still can't play the MKV or AC3 audio at all, there will

eventually be an XviD / MP3 / hardsubbed version. Please

don't come into the chat room and ask the ops why it won't play,

that's why there's a readme.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

screw the k lite pack...its a piece of crap goto http://cccp-project.net/ and get that pack...you will never have a problem running anything ever again...zoomplayer is almos tthe only player i ever use anymore for the fact that it is fast and simple

I highly recommend the Combined Community Codec Pack too. I have it installed on both of our computers and just by installing it, we can play everything like .ogg, .mkv, etc. even the latest .mp4 video formats all with our regular windows media player. The only thing is, you have to uninstall any previous codecs that could conflict with the CCCP. Theres instructions on the site that explain it. :nod:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Thanks for all the recommendations guys :happy:

Before getting to read anyone elses messages, I downloaded Aqu's recommended codec pack. There's good news and bad news;

Good news - the file opens and I get to see something *phew*

Bad news - there is no sync between video, audio and sub-titles.

I think I'll have to un-install it or something and try Eppy's codec pack and then if that too doesn't work I'll try out Dubird's (next in line) ^_^. I only hope the un-installation doesn't wipe out other stuff ...

EDIT: I tried Eppy's pack, afterwards Dubird's software and each time the result was the same - video ran slow and very jerky, sound came late as did the subtitles with no synch between any of the 3 things. I think this may have to do with my computer settings / video / graphic card thingie or something ? Considering I'm at borderline cpu useage with 128 Mb ram, a PIII and XP ^_^;

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

running XP on a P3 with 128 ram is murder...seeing as min for XP to run normal at all is 256 mb of ram

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

I'm planning on a system overhaul, spending 12 grand to replace my motherboard with 1.something GB RAM and the works. Either that or an appointment with the dentist ^_^' ... I'm sorta cross with my computer techie because I paid through my nose for my Sony Dvd Burner and that bum gave me an import which carried Ntv as the software instead of Neogeo.

12,000 bucks hehe ... Indian currency which's roughly 43 bucks to a dollar (blooooody economy!), makes everything on ebay and distro's or webstores all the more expensive X'D

I swear ! It'll atleast make my browsing / downloading / internet speed faster by a slight bit because of a better processor on board ^_^