Ladywriter

garden outta control

trust, I'm being careful >.< no going thru that shits again.

yeppers this thread is teh old. Its nice to go back in the dead of winter and look at garden pics :) This thread is sort of my garden's journal :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow my camera role will go to the studio for processing and I'll post pictures of the garden at my cottage ^_^ ... I was surprised when I visited 2 weeks ago and you'll know why very soon.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

and now we are covered in 4 inches of snow -_-;

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Here's a peak into my rocky deserted garden at the hillstation ... ^_^'

Phool.jpg

Couple of 'flocks' (purple flower plants) and there's supposed to be a lily somewhere ... *looks for it .... :( goddamn*

Linedup.jpg

All flocks and random flower plants lined up, there's one Gladioli plant at the far left of the line. That's a rose plant in the basket - lower right.

Kaizer.jpg

Poor ol Kaizer's grave (my earlier dog - dalmation by breed), but it's always covered with these tiny white flowery plants ^_^

Whiterose.jpg

Yaaay finally atleast one blossomed white rose X'D ... I dunno how my caretaker managed that. To the immediate left of the rose, one step back is a shoeflower plant and right next to it is a rasberry / mulberry plant. He's gonna kill them soon, so I had to take pictures >_> ...

Thumbsup.jpg

That's me (with my eyes closed as always \m/) beside a 'Marigold' flower bed that I planted myself ^_^ ... it took an hour when I went there a few months back and was surprised to see them alive even ^_^ ... in the background is my aunt's cottage with her garden.

Off Topic:

Noroad.jpg

Now that was supposed to be a road ! The monsoon this year was really nasty and about 15 meters of the road alongwith the tar and soil sorta got washed away ... ofcourse part reason could also be the increase of hotels in the area resulting in cutting of loads of tree land, amounting to things like this. The drop is around 50 - 60 feet ...

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

whoa O_O the road looks hella scary! A lotta sand and clay ne?

the phlox :P are very pretty . marigold are unappealing to most wildlife too. Deer wont eat em. Generally I plant marigold or mint near plants that deer and other critters might want to snack on.

A lot of roses (most actually) need a good hacking down before growing season gets going. they're one of those plants that wont grow new green on old wood.

there seems to be quite the mix of sun and shade in your garden. you can probably get away with growing stuff that is more sensitive to hot afternoon sunlight.

were you thinking of reworking the beds so that there is a variety of different stuff in each one? each individual bed can be designed to be its own lil ecosystem. Plants that complement each others growing conditions (like how acidic the soil is, how much sun) difference in color and leaf texture give each bed it's own unique look ;)

I grow lavender and mini roses together. I also put some mint, sage, yarrow (yarrow strengthens the herbs it grows with. makes em more potent) and a couple other herbs (Irises for spring) in the bed together.

I'll get some pics of the disaster and show ya :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

whoa O_O the road looks hella scary! A lotta sand and clay ne?

Heh, NO ! The red mud you see is the mountain itself ^_^. The soil is rich in iron, which explains the coloration. f you look at the mountain from a distance, you see a thin line ... and part of that line is what we see in the pic x_x

the phlox :P are very pretty . marigold are unappealing to most wildlife too. Deer wont eat em. Generally I plant marigold or mint near plants that deer and other critters might want to snack on.

A lot of roses (most actually) need a good hacking down before growing season gets going. they're one of those plants that wont grow new green on old wood.

Hacking up n stuff, hey, I remember studying it in college and you could even cross-breed (I'm sure it's called something else ... *thinks*) em, but only if my caretaker could not touch them and make them survive :P ... I've really wanted to try cross-breeding and creating hybrids ^_^ ... you've tried it Lady, Sledge ?

there seems to be quite the mix of sun and shade in your garden. you can probably get away with growing stuff that is more sensitive to hot afternoon sunlight.
Any recommendations ? Hmmm Sledge's suggestion of growing sunflowers rings a bell. Actually, they're well suited for the climate and yeah, I'll try it the next time I visit.
were you thinking of reworking the beds so that there is a variety of different stuff in each one? each individual bed can be designed to be its own lil ecosystem. Plants that complement each others growing conditions (like how acidic the soil is, how much sun) difference in color and leaf texture give each bed it's own unique look ;)

I grow lavender and mini roses together. I also put some mint, sage, yarrow (yarrow strengthens the herbs it grows with. makes em more potent) and a couple other herbs (Irises for spring) in the bed together.

I'll get some pics of the disaster and show ya :P

You're a pro :happy: ! I could rework the beds, but there're less chances of it to survive if I'm not around because the caretaker will kill em all >_<. And, that's good advice .. how'd I know the acidity of the soil ?

Can't wait for your garden's new pics .... disaster my ass !

okay then ... :P

What you want is some hearty perennials, something even the caretaker would have difficulty killing ^_^;

Coneflower Echinacea spp. These come in a variety of colors, purple being most widly used in gardens. I have purple and white. They will tolerate full sun or part shade.

Black eyed Susan Rudbedkia

Butterfly Bush Buddleia Mine is purple.

Lupine like shade, but not deep shade. (Deep shade never gets direct sunlight) The same applies to lilys.

Vinca aka Periwinkle aka myrtle will grow in shade to deep shade.

Most Hosta and Ferns also prefer to be out of the sun espically in the afternoon. And never underestimate the power of moss! Moss is soo cool I've already started collecting some for my shade patch :P

Do a google search for low maintenance, perennials and see what you like.

Start with the tallest plants or the spring bloomers in the center and work out filling to the edge with low growing plants.

I'll look up some more later.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Hacking up n stuff, hey, I remember studying it in college and you could even cross-breed (I'm sure it's called something else ... *thinks*) em, but only if my caretaker could not touch them and make them survive :P ... I've really wanted to try cross-breeding and creating hybrids ^_^ ... you've tried it Lady, Sledge ?

We've never cross breeded anything, I'd love trying it tho. Oh, our bearded iris's cross pollinated tho. One year they were all yellow and then the next they were all half purple/half yellow. crazyness. O_O

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

yep and it likes to be planted with roses and sage ;)

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I'm sorta hoping the mulberry/rasberry plant grows well so I can make some jam out of it ^_^ ... it'll be my first so I'm really excited !

Hmmm I'll try and look out for those reccomends Lady, but first I'll have to find their equivalent local names so they understand what I ask for since most of these vendors may not even speak in English :P ... once I order my print cartridge maybe I can take a printout and show it instead ^_^. Thanks !!! I'll google it ...

Last weekend I'ad visited my cottage yet again, this time it'as to close up the place right before the monsoon caught up to us because it gets realllly nasty and it's one of thie highest rainfall regions in the country. So we have to plastic wrap everything from our furniture to the beds and the windows and what not, tedious. We'll have to go back in September to open up the place but here's an update on the 'garden on rocks' ...

Image003-1.jpg

Full Bloom !

Image005-1.jpg

That's a shot of my wall of red leaf plants and the white+red flower combo, they've bloomed this time around. Hey, catch some of the fog at the top of the snap !

Image027.jpg

If you're ever lost in the forest or kicked outta the house, there should always be some backup ! My very own mulberry plant with 2 mulberries ! Food, ninja style. I hope it doesn't get washed out this monsoon and survives ^_^' ... the pic may not be very clear because of the zoom.

Image005-1.jpg

Image027.jpg

I hope it doesn't get washed out this monsoon and survives ^_^' ... the pic may not be very clear because of the zoom.

^ These're BEFORE shots and now I'm posting AFTER shots.

Visited the cottage this weekend amidst the heavy rains and found this :(

Mypoorplants1.jpg Exact place as the first pic in the 'quote'.

Berrytreenaked.jpgAll that's left of my poor berry plant.

Mypoorplants2.jpgMy bushes *sob*

Sorry bout the clarity, the shots were all taken on my cellphone. I was heartbroken, and a good 8 grand down the drain ...

damn!

I'll have to get pics of my wild garden -_- Black eyed susan, sweet pea, spirament and chineese lantern took over everything

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

You bet CG *cries all over her feet*, but the only solace I found was in knowing that nature did that to my plants rather than my caretaker killing them >_>'

Lady, can't wait to see your garden now ...

went out for a walk and took the camera.

Looking back at the house; man I love my big trees

view_on_walk.jpg

the woods are heavily overgrown. Gotta walk the deer paths

walkingwoods.jpg

the elephant ears got huge

elears.jpg

cosmos

cosmos.jpg

sunflower

sunflower.jpg

the sky was so beautiful today

clouds2.jpg

and my muttly

mutt.jpg

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

GREAT shots o_0 ... you should try out at photography Lady. Love the house picture (you must've walked quite a bit for that one), and the dog looks gorgeous !

the camera takes great pics.

I didnt have to walk too far. just past the edge of the back yard :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers