Sabe

Bats in the Attic

Greetings, All! Been awhile since I've been around, but I'm glad to see the Clan is still about! I was hoping for a little more advice from my fellow homeowners...

The wife and I bought a place in the panhandle of our state, and happy we may be, the bats we've discovered bother the wife. I've seen a lot of stuff for deterring the little boogers, but I've been hearing the best results coming from installing bat-houses. Any one else out there have different advice, or things that have worked for you? Thanks in advance!

"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."--Ken Gor, Ying hung boon sik II

[sIGPIC]Dattebayo!!![/sIGPIC]

Thank you to everyone who has ever made me sigs, you are all wonderful!

I'd install some bat houses. We have bats all over the place here but never had any in the attic. There's way too many trees around here for them to nest in. Mostly because woodpeckers tear up the trees and make great spots for them. Bat houses could be a good alternative. And bats are great. They eat alot of mosquitoes. A pro pest remover could remove them and seal whatever holes they are getting in from too.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

On 9/13/2018 at 8:17 PM, Sledgstone said:

I'd install some bat houses. We have bats all over the place here but never had any in the attic. There's way too many trees around here for them to nest in. Mostly because woodpeckers tear up the trees and make great spots for them. Bat houses could be a good alternative. And bats are great. They eat alot of mosquitoes. A pro pest remover could remove them and seal whatever holes they are getting in from too.

I agree on all points...I love bats, myself, it's the wife that freaks out over them, lol. I looked into professional removal, but for my area, they're talking $600 just to come in and consult on the removal/seals, not including the actual jobs thereof. I just wish they liked our trees...they won't nest in pines due to the sap. I'll likely give the houses a try, since the wife agrees that, at the worst, we'd only be out the $75 in lumber to build them.

"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."--Ken Gor, Ying hung boon sik II

$600.. holy crap. Btw, after you make some bat houses you can put old timey moth balls in your attic to basically stink those bats right out. Once they see those houses they'll be more inclined to not return to the attic.. but moth balls stink to all hell. I'd only use them if your attic is sealed good from the rest of the house or your entire upstairs could end up stinking and moth balls are pretty toxic. Or if you have a cat, let it up there to harass the bats out. The cat might eat them tho. Good luck!

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

16 hours ago, Sledgstone said:

$600.. holy crap. Btw, after you make some bat houses you can put old timey moth balls in your attic to basically stink those bats right out. Once they see those houses they'll be more inclined to not return to the attic.. but moth balls stink to all hell. I'd only use them if your attic is sealed good from the rest of the house or your entire upstairs could end up stinking and moth balls are pretty toxic. Or if you have a cat, let it up there to harass the bats out. The cat might eat them tho. Good luck!

Yeah, that was about my reaction! I've talked to a few contacts in the wildlife industry, and from what I've been hearing the most, is the mothball solution is actually an old wives tale. Most of the guys I've talked to say while the mothballs can help, the toxicity can react with any guano causing a more dangerous version of the mold that grows on the guano naturally. I'd go for a cat, but my eldest and my granddaughter both are allergic to cats. Either way, we're going to try the bat houses first, then go to the pro's if it comes down to it. I'll keep ya posted in the future as to what happens!