Sledgstone

All online sales can now be taxed

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-states-can-require-online-retailers-collect-sales-n873416

Supreme Court rules states can require online retailers to collect sales tax The justices broke with 50 years' worth of legal rulings that barred the states from imposing sales taxes on most of the purchases their residents make from out-of-state retailers.

In NY we're taxed by just about every website there is, but now the rest of the country can enjoy paying taxes for all their online purchases. :P No real change for amazon tho since they already charge taxes for almost every state anyway. I'm wondering if this could force ebay to collect taxes on every single individual seller's transactions now.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

It definitely shifts the advantage back to amazon for the one stop shop. I've bought something elsewhere before to skip out on the tax. I don't know how it is for you, but on some times I still don't get charged tax on amazon. I never really pay attention as to why, but I'll assume its because its a 3rd party seller. Its never anything big, it happens on $10-30 purchases for the most part.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Amazon always taxes us for every purchase that I'm aware of. I usually try to avoid 3rd party sellers since most charge shipping. Maybe some 3rd party ones wouldn't charge me tax but I've never noticed. I think the only large retailer that doesn't charge tax in NY is newegg. But I know they charged me tax before. I think it was some lawsuit or something happened and they stopped charging tax in NY for a while but that will probably change now. I agree this definitely empowers amazon tho. Ever since NY made online retailers charge sales tax years ago almost all my online business shifted to amazon. I used to purchase from a variety of sites to avoid sales tax, but if I have to pay sales tax everywhere I might as well shop on the website with the biggest selection, 2 day shipping and easy returns. I will say that I've purchased more from walmart.com recently in the last couple years tho.

I read this court decision won't really affect most ebay sellers since it only targets individuals and businesses selling over $100,000.00 in goods per year. Some ebay bulk sellers out there are probably going to start making multiple alt accounts now to sell more products to get under the radar. I feel bad for small businesses tho. They're now going to have to upgrade their online selling software to take into account the tax rate of every state and then have to get their accountants to file all those tax claims for every individual state. I wonder how that'll work for small businesses. If its some giant tax bill they pay out to the different states once a year or if some states have laws that require monthly payments of those taxes. It could really screw some small companies logistically.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Does this have any effect on say digital distribution? I don't think I've ever seen a tax from buying games, DLC, etcetera from Sony or Microsoft.

….

Also I still find myself against Sales Tax. And Jeff Bezos evaded paying taxes.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I got an email from PlayStation about New York tax collection notice.

Hello,

We are writing to inform you that PlayStation™Store, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, and PlayStation™Music, will start collecting sales tax in your state starting November 2, 2018. The sales tax charged on each order is determined by your state, county and city tax rates.

For additional information please visit: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PlayStationStoreSalesTaxCollection

Thank you,
PlayStation

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      I got some notifications from Time Warner that I can now upgrade my modem to take advantage of higher internet speeds. I thought it was a spam email at first until I got an actual letter from Time Warner telling me the same thing. Seeing that Time Warner has never once improved their network in my area, I assumed all their profits went straight to their shareholders and they'd never improve their actual infrastructure. Turns out I was wrong. Time Warner is actually improving their service. Holy crap. Turns out they've been rolling out these upgrades across the country for a few years now and my area is finally ready. Check out the new speeds:
      http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/enjoy/better-twc/internet.html
      I'll be requesting my new modem today. Once I get it I'll most likely reduce my plan too. I am on the extreme plan which will now be "Ultimate 200". I can drop my internet down to the new extreme plan now. I'm not streaming 4k netflix and at this time and I don't think I'll need a 200/20 MBPS connection. Anyone else get an upgrade to your internet?
    • By Sledgstone
      Based on online document leaks from last June and a Microsoft employee spilling the beans about internet requirements for the new system on Twitter a couple days ago, it seems as though the next Xbox console (Xbox 720?) will require an always online internet connection. This online connection would most likely be needed to initially load games and applications in the console. Even though always online connectivity is very common in a large majority of households, this could anger quite a few gamers.
      I suppose if my internet provider had an issue and my connection dropped out, I'd have to keep myself entertained by playing games on my PC, phone.. or anything other gaming platforms besides Microsoft's new console.
      Of course, my internet has only gone out once in the past year, so I doubt I'll have any problems.
      But we'll have to wait until Microsoft officially unveils the new console to see if this is true. Do you think this always online requirement could potentially hurt the new system?
      Sources: Polygon and The Verge
    • By Sledgstone
      Based on online document leaks from last June and a Microsoft employee spilling the beans about internet requirements for the new system on Twitter a couple days ago, it seems as though the next Xbox console (Xbox 720?) will require an always online internet connection. This online connection would most likely be needed to initially load games and applications in the console. Even though always online connectivity is very common in a large majority of households, this could anger quite a few gamers.
      I suppose if my internet provider had an issue and my connection dropped out, I'd have to keep myself entertained by playing games on my PC, phone.. or anything other gaming platforms besides Microsoft's new console.
      Of course, my internet has only gone out once in the past year, so I doubt I'll have any problems.
      But we'll have to wait until Microsoft officially unveils the new console to see if this is true. Do you think this always online requirement could potentially hurt the new system?
      Sources: Polygon and The Verge
      Click here to view the article
    • By Sledgstone
      http://gizmodo.com/5843861/nasas-testing-laser-internet-in-space-laser-space-internet
      Well, with a bunch of relays in place, once a Mars or space colony is created it will at least have earth internet!
    • By Sledgstone
      Here are some of the more popular sites listing black friday sales:
      http://www.blackfriday.info/
      http://www.black-friday.net/
      http://bfads.net/
      http://www.theblackfriday.com/
      Turns out amazon and walmart already had a xbox360 for $200 with free $100 gift card deal over the weekend.