Myk JL

My CRT Monitor Died

In advance sorry for any mispellings.

My CRT Monitor died yesterday. I wanted to get it repaired. But the nearest place to my home doesn't repair CRT Monitors. I bought wires that I thought would connect my PC to that HDTV I bought. But they don't want to work together.

Currently I'm connecting to the internet via that Steam Machine I bought.

I need access to my Real PC because that's where my writings, phone, etc are.

I might have to wait till next month as I'm short on cash. But I think my only options right now are to either pay $95 (an hour) to probably be told that my PC will only connect to a CRT Monitor. Or find a "new" CRT Monitor.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

What kind of connection was the old CRT monitor? VGA? A vga to hdmi adapter should work. If you have one of those you might have bought the wrong type. There are hdmi to vga convertors that have the same looking connections but will only convert a digital signal to analog when you'd want one that converts from analog to digital/hdmi output.

Good luck finding CRT monitors nowadays. I haven't seen one for sale in years.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I really should've read the back of the thing before I bought it as it says HD to VGA. I've bought from this nearby shop before. And usually I would be told no refunds. I felt like I was very specific in that I needed to hook up my PC up to an HDTV. I guess I'll be there tomorow trying to explain they sold me the wrong part.

*Edit 1*

I got a refund after them trying to convince me that HD to VGA is the same as VGA to HD. They had to test it before they refunded me and it worked. I didn't see the test as it was in the back. So this all feels very weird because it somehow works for them, but not for me. And if it didn't work for them I wouldn't have gotten refunded.

*Edit 2*

I think I found what I was looking for on amazon.com from a 3rd party seller. A 6 foot cable VGA to HDMI Adapter with audio from Foinnex. Plus 2 Year Protection.

I would've copy & pasted the URL, but the Steam Machine browser doesn't have that ability.

Edited by Myk JL

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I don't think my PC has a graphics card. From what I could tell my CRT Monitor wouldn't turn on as the small green light wouldn't turn on and I was hearing a ticking sound whenever I tried to turn it back on after turning it off.

Also I got the new wire today and it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-FOINNEX-Converter-Connecting-HDTV-Male/dp/B071SHJ1S3/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C5428MRR7QE4GQZYY5DJ

My only problem was with my HDTV as I had to change it from 16:9 to Screen Fit.

I'm glad that's working for you now. Be careful with that CRT monitor especially with it ticking. Make sure it stays unplugged. I had some PC speakers that weren't even turned on that starting making a noise and then started emitting smoke. Wtf. Damn things almost caught on fire. I'm glad I was home when it happened. Now I'm paranoid about stuff like that. :lookup:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I put that CRT Monitor back into it's original box, along with it's original Windows XP PC which is slow, and speakers that were sounding more like FM Radio. It's original keyboard was destroyed years ago after I smashed it over my Windows XP PC not properly turning on. I don't remember what happened to the original mouse.

As long as its not a fire hazard unplugged it will be one of the oldest electronics I will eventually find out how to recycle.