DeathscytheX

Cobra Kai (Karate Kid Sequel/Spinoff)

I originally scoffed at this because of YT Red, but since I got a 3 month free trail I watched this and thought it was well made. They actually almost went the way of the Daniel was the real bully but didn't quite commit to it. Daniel was pretty unlikable throughout the whole series, and Cobra Kai felt like a dojo of redemption, only til the end where they tried to make them out to be the bad guys when they got "full of them selves". You empathize with the Cobra Kai kids and Johnny the whole series so the last minute turn doesn't work very well and seems forced. Diaz is too likeable of a character with a sad back history and his mom and grandma still cheering him on. Making him the bully in favor of Johnny's toubled son who's was a douche the whole series trying to get back at his dad by working for Daniel was pretty crappy. Its like they didn't know what to do in the end and decided to try to make Daniel the "good guy" anyways even though he was an immature rich asshole the whole series and Johnny was trying to get his life back together through reopening Cobra Kai.

Oh and Johnny and Daniel are really out of shape. XD when Daniel tries to do Karate it looks super shitty, because he can barely lift his leg up anymore. Johnny looks a bit better and has better camera cuts for his sequences. Thankfully the kids are more in shape to do these moves.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Whoa, season 2 was really good. They end on a big cliffhanger. I highly recommend this series. Its a fun watch with a lot of good comedy balanced with heavy issues. It's a must for Karate Kid fans that are now adults.

Edit: Its on Netflix now btw.

This show was awesome. XD:D That season 2 finale though. wtf.

Spoiler

When Johnny and Danny were at the bar talking about Ali, Danny mentioned she went to nursing school and Johnny was like "Ali is a doctor!?" and she is married to an oncologist if I remember right. Right at the end we see Johnny get that facebook friend request. I bet Ali will have her own drama, turns out shes in the process of a divorce, shes a full fledged doctor and she'll probably be the only one that can fix Miguel. So she'll rush out there to re-establish roots in her home town to get away from her husband but she'll also get thrown right into the middle of everything while she starts her new job at the hospital as a surgeon... while having awkward unresolved relationship tensions between all three of them. XD

Danny was having the equivalent of a mid life crisis. That guy had everything he could want and then he decides to almost throw it all away to open a free karate dojo and spend all his time with random kids. wtf.

I still can't believe Johnny let Kreese back into his life. And he let him have full access to the books. While Johnny was off on his getaway with his old friends and dying buddy, Kreese probably forged Johnny's name and transferred the entire company to himself. There is so many times during this show where everyone should have called the cops for vandalism or assault, but instead everyone dramas it up and rushes over to someone's house to karate fight instead. wtf. XD

Miguel had basically that same beach scene with the breakup that happened in the original movie. If only Miguel wasn't drinking that day. But that was a good throwback to an original plot line.

With how they left the season on such a huge cliffhanger, I really hope covid doesn't screw up the production start date of season 3 too bad. Those kids grow fast in between filming seasons as it is. We might have a CW Riverdale situation where a bunch of actors noticeably in their 30s are playing high school students. XD 

After watching the first two seasons, I still emphasize with Johnny. Hes a great guy but everyone has their own flaws. This still reminds me of this video showing Karate Kid from Johnny' perspective:

I can't remember who made these original quotes, but they apply to this story like almost everything else:

"Everyone is the hero in their own story"

"There is no bad guy, just people with different opinions that are doing what they think is right."

Its all about perspective, I like when Johnny explained what happened on the beach way back then to Miguel. From his perspective Miguel was basically "Wow, Danny was a dick". XD

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Season 3 was good. Seemed a bit oddly paced at times with random time skips. I'm guessing thats to try to compensate for covid and the kids growing up faster than the show.

Spoiler

Overall another good season, it wasn't as good as the first 2, but it was still alot of fun and full of random drama that wasn't realistic. XD Miguel healing up during the time skips was a good choice so they could get him back up an moving for another karate showdown. lol. I think they're building the show up for one final season. And how the hell can all those kids break into Danny's house/trespass, start a giant fight, break a shit ton of his stuff and instead of calling the cops he goes to Cobra Kai to fight Kreese? Really? He has a mansion house with a private dojo and not a single ring camera/security that he could have bought off amazon to turn evidence over to the police? All those kids should already be arrested and in juvee not preparing for a karate tournament to settle things. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Well it does fit the narrative of Daniel wanting something better for the kids besides jail? XD I mean he let Johnny keep the van the whole season. XD

I thought the season was on par... but mostly for the nostalgia factor. Chozen doing the HOOOONK was absolutely my favorite scene even though it was predictable. XD

I already know that Kreese's flashback buddy and the one he called is gonna be Terry Silver from KK3

Terry Silver and Daniel LaRusso

Ah your picture isn't loading. I think I know who you're talking about tho.

Spoiler

That HOOONK was great. XD

Speaking of wanting something better for the kids.. at one point Daniel says to the wife, "I haven't spent enough time with Sam lately, I need to change that"... meanwhile his son was in 1 scene the entire season and they never showed him again. I think it's safe to say who the favorite kid is. XD technically the brother should have been home during that giant battle.. instead he probably ran away at some point and nobody noticed or even cared. XD He doesn't do karate, screw him. XD

I'm glad Allie was in the season. They all got closure with minimal drama. XD

Season 4 was better than season 3. The third season had too much high school drama and constant fighting. The season 4 tournament was really good.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, Sledgstone said:

at one point Daniel says to the wife, "I haven't spent enough time with Sam lately, I need to change that"... meanwhile his son was in 1 scene the entire season and they never showed him again. I think it's safe to say who the favorite kid is. XD technically the brother should have been home during that giant battle.. instead he probably ran away at some point and nobody noticed or even cared. XD He doesn't do karate, screw him. XD

My quote from season 3.. lmao! They literally threw this statement about who the favorite kid is right in the parent's faces. XD I'm guessing the son will now start to learn karate so he can fight the other kid. XD