Sledgstone

Intel CPU massive security flaw

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

So Intel has this massive security flaw in their cpus that is so big windows has to patch it. The emergency patch came out this week but it turns out alot of windows pcs won't get the update to auto download unless their antivirus is up to date according to this article:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-meltdown-spectre-patch-new-updates-bring-fix-for-unbootable-amd-pcs/

I got the update on my main pc 2 days ago but I haven't approved the update yet. I'll be doing it later today. I'm quite enraged by this security issue considering it can cause a 5-30% decrease in performance for some tasks. I also read that this update has been causing some random reboots. Wtf. I use my pc for work and I can't afford random reboots. I've always used Intel cpus in all my pcs but my next computer will be an AMD chip.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I've gotten use to using Windows Defender which I'm sure is up to date.

But if it isn't....

Damn.... Am I going to have to start looking at 3rd Party Antivirus again?

Because the last one was slowing down my PC until I uninstalled it as far as I remember.

I think it was Avast or something that was recommended to me by Firefox at one point in time.

I also still kind of have Malwarebytes but it uninstalled itself. And I don't see a point in intentionally spending money on it if Microsoft is also willing to protect my PC from Malware for free. At best when Malwarebytes (Premium) was still there it blocked me from going to websites that were possibly harmful to my PC.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I use free avast antivirus and free malwarebytes but I don't leave malwarebytes on active protection. Windows Defender is really good at cleaning up malware, but I still do a scan once a month with malwarebytes to be safe. Windows Defender is also an antivirus, but I've seen viruses still get past it and I've had to use avast to remove viruses from 2 different windows 10 laptops that had defender running. I love avast but it's getting a bit annoying to have random pop ups at the bottom right corner of my screen with their own subtle self advertisements to upgrade to their full product. If they ever turn those subtle self advertisements into full blown ads I will uninstall it and get something else.

I was checking my laptop this morning and I found out that it is already up to date, so I checked the recent installed updates to see if the intel patch was applied and it was on January 11, 2018. It seems odd that my main pc required me to manually trigger the update after updating my antivirus by choosing a restart time. Considering my laptop did it in a casual end of the day 'update and shutdown' and I didn't even notice it was the intel patch until today. Even though this update is supposed to screw intel cpus with 5-30% decrease in some tasks I have yet to see any impact on anything I do or any games I play.

BTW in Windows 10, in the windows update screen, clicking on recent installed updates does not show this update as being installed for some reason. I had to go into control panel, type update in the search, click "Programs and Features" and then click on "View installed updates" and there it was, KB4056892 installed in 2018. That number will be a bit different for people that haven't upgraded to the anniversary or creators updates. Looks like Windows 7 and 8 also got the patch too but also with a different patch number.

Its been a week since I got this update done and my pc would freeze at least once a day afterwards. I can only assume it was because of this patch. Microsoft has apparently been pulling the patch because it's been causing freezing/rebooting issues for all PCs and not just AMD cpus. I did end up resolving the reboot issue. I had to go to dell's website (my main pc is a Dell), got their driver update utility program, scanned my pc and I had a Intel Rapid Storage driver out of date. Once that was updated my PC freezing issues were fixed. Its been 3 days now and I haven't had a single freeze/reboot issue. If anyone else is having an issue like this, update your intel rapid storage driver and it should hopefully fix it so you don't have to uninstall the windows update patch.