The son of Tolkien has finally retired at the age of 93. As far as I know he hated the movies and would never sign off on any movie or tv deals and couldn't do anything to stop pre-existing deals that were made prior to him holding the estate. Now that he's retired Amazon already struck a deal with the Tolkien estate to make a new Lord of the rings series for Amazon prime. At first I thought it was a prequel series but now it sounds like a reboot of Lord of the rings entirely which sounds dumb when there are so many other ways they could have made a series that takes place in the world that was created. Maybe we'll get a Silmarillion movie in the near future. Or maybe a Tom Bombadil cartoon on cartoon network. 

http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-r-r-tolkiens-son-resigns-as-director-of-tolkien-esta-1820476459

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Not exactly good news if you ask me considering that, unless the original author does it, anything added to an epic fantasy series like this will feel unoriginal and uninspired. It's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of Peter Jackson's LotR movies (I still feel they were shitty adaptations but given time constraints I understand why they cut a variety of things) and while I think he did an amazing job with The Hobbit Trilogy (still not as faithful as I'd of liked but still very good movies (Legolas should of never been in the movies as he was never in the book)) I just feel no one is capable of adapting LotR faithfully enough for me to be happy about it (then again my opinion will always be disregarded because money).

The Silmarillion could never be adapted into a TV series or movie considering that book is a collections of unfinished stories Tolkien wrote before he died that Christopher compiled into a book (with his own revisions and additions). It's to disjointed to get a real feel for anything going on and the writers would have to take severe liberties just to make a coherent enough movies/show (something I'd hate because no one really knows how Tolkien would of finished those stories).

Yea, suffice to say I'm going to be severely disappointed with whatever comes out of this deal (unless it's an actual, faithful adaptation of the books). I just feel this franchise should be left alone and not messed with but again my opinion matters not because money.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

After reading the hobbit, legolus and the elf woman with the love interest of the dwarf seemed completely out of place in the movies since neither of those characters were even in the book.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are already book deals in the works at the point. We might get an expanded universe of novels from independent authors like the huge collection of old star wars novels. Legolus still become the equivilant of Luke Skywalker and get 20 novels dedicated to his adventures. 

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg