DeathscytheX

Favorite Game OST

I know I made a topic like this a long time ago, but a ton of games have come out since then. What are you favorite/most memorable original game tracks?

This is still my all time favorite track. The powerful start still sends chills through my spine. I'll never forget when a friend handed me a demo disc for the first game before it came out which featured the start with the ship, ending with the Hydra boss. I was so blown away by how awesome it was I couldn't wait for the full game. Then after falling in love with how the first game played, and its story I was hyped for this game when it was announced. The opening was just epic.

It's really tough for me to pick just one track from this game. As a whole its probably my favorite total OST of any game. But this track sticks with me because its from one of the most intense parts of the game that had a huge sense of urgency while it kept you in side scroll camera mode. You'd have to play it to understand how powerful the moment was. From about 1:40 and beyond was the section used for this mission.

Ace Combat's first game got that ole fashion rename/mistranslation. PS1 shows up on the scene, games were true 3D experiences for the first time. I was like 12-13 when this came out, and I remember going to a friends house to spend the night and we stayed up playing this game til the morning. We were blown away, and this music was such a rush. Ace Combat was literally the first game I ever got my hands on in the Playstation era, and the rest is history.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

While I chose this track the whole OST is a fucking eargasm of amazing music, this is just the culmination when you beat the game (and considering how it ends this song is extremely fitting). As of playing this game this has been and will always be my favorite soundtrack of any game (ABZU comes in second but I have yet to beat the game). This game has no voice acting and little to no story (except for what you make of it) except for snippets on random walls/shrines. The game relies entirely on the soundtrack to set its pace and it couldn't of done a better job. If you never get the chance to play the game do yourself of favor and listen to the soundtrack, its definitely worth it.

Of course I had to put a FFXIV song here. If it wasn't for this trailer/video I probably never would of started playing FFXIV and I freaking adore this song (I've listened to it on repeat so many times I actually have it memorized, song's name is Answers btw). Such a beautiful song and by far my favorite one off the entirety of FFXIV's discography (which is massive now and has some amazing music. Other personal favorites include Titan's Theme, Ramuh's Theme, Dragonsong (the theme song for Heavensward), and Revolutions (theme song for Stormblood)). FYI this video is how they wrapped up the story from the failed 1.x version of FFXIV and what led us into A Realm Reborn.

There's plenty more I could post but those two stand out the most for me. Honorable mentions would be Zone of the Ender's OST (first game, I wasn't really into the 2nd Runner's OST), Ace Combat 5 and 0's OST (both extremely good soundtracks), Chrono Cross's OST (there are some amazing songs in those 3 discs), and every Chocobo Theme ever produced (hey I love the Chocobo Themes).

Edited by Strider Hiryu
Forgot some things

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Ah yes, I can't leave out my most played game. Ole Dragon's stand. A whole map made into a meta event that lasts at least an hour. I'll never forget when I first got here, I knew very little about it since HoT was so new. I ran my lane and fought the bosses thinking how epic it was, and then was blown away by the giant serpent dragon boss at the finale. This music ran the whole time giving it such a thrilling experience.

Yeah I can't pick just one. XD

Talk about a feels trip. I can't say many games if any other made me shed a tear... but this game did. Holy shit was the ending sad. The ending theme was comforting after what transpired.

Probably my favorite sonic track ever. I've heard the updated one for Sonic Mania and I cant wait to play this zone again. I remember first getting my Genesis. Sonic 2 was my first game and this zone blew me away.

I was so pissed when they brought this game "back" as some BS multiplayer only game. This game was so fucking good for PS1. The OST was so good too. A flight game where you could hover too... it was so innovative. Ace Combat was amazing, but this was so different because you could slow down to a stand still and fly through tight corridors and vertical shafts.

Oh man. Ridge Racer was THE first racing game I played on PS1. Before Need for Speed which was a 3DO port. I fell in love immediately. Every time a new one came out a friend would get it and I'd come over and we'd tackle it. The most frustrating thing about Ridge Racer over NFS and other racing franchises was that hitting the wall was devastating. It damn near brought you to 0mph if you did it. I probably couldn't deal with that type of game today... the whole game relied on track memory. Even after you got the black and white car from beating the space invaders mini game, it was still a challenge... just less forgiving. When this one came out it has a real lyrical soundtrack which was pretty much unheard of before this time. It was truly original too. This wasn't like a Rob Zombie/Twisted Metal type deal. This was in house talent... It was daring, and it worked so well. This track plays in my head to this day when I think of racing games.

Speaking of racing games... before Twisted Metal, there was this... Talk about frustrating but hysterical. Road Rash was amazing. XD Motorcycle racing where you could beat the shit out of your opponents? Unheard of! Crowbars, Cattle Prods, Chains, Bats... this was madness... you could whack your opponents off their bikes.. but they could too.. and along the way there would be obstacles like cars, animals... and even cow shit. XD The game's electric guitar rock was crazy good for the time.  This game also had a title screen cheat code where you could get the "phantom bike" which had a shit ton of turbos and instant top speed acceleration. If you wrecked on it, you'd fly for a good minute before hitting the ground, running back to the bike was a nightmare... but you'd still have enough speed to possibly win if you didn't hit anything else. I remember different racers would insult you at the end if you won or not like Lucky Luc and Belladonna. XD  The ending was some rival racer insulting you too... This game was suppose to get a reboot on PS3/360, with Skid Row doing most the soundtrack, but it got cancelled for some reason.. too bad. The PS1 games were ok, but didn't hold the same magic. They had paid for sound tracks by Johnny Cash, Soundgarden, and even Kid Rock before he got big.