DeathscytheX

Atari jumping back into the Console War?

14 posts in this topic

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/15/atari-releases-teaser-for-the-ataribox-a-brand-new-product-years-in-the-making/

I don't know what to make of it. "Years in the making" sounds more like an actual console that will be next gen. Can Atari make it a 4 way war? I want to no, but I've been wrong plenty of times. the video shows 2600-esque furniture. If this was a retro emulator box with 2600-5200 remastered (Blaster Master Zero style) or at least arcade version qualities of the games loaded into it, I'd buy it in a heart beat for nostalgia sake. I have rose tinted glasses to most my NES favorites, but every time I touch an atari and play Defender, Asteroids, or Yar's Revenge, its just as I remember them.

dvabanner.png

Its probably a retro box with all their classics redone in HD. That would be cool. Or maybe this is all an elaborate move on their part to focus on the 2600, while the real reveal is actually this long awaited sequel that should have been released on the 2600 all those years ago:

et_2.jpg.0304bbeadf57b08123dac2c4fc3f8ec2.jpg

Years in the making indeed.. many years.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_252.jpg

I might selectively remember some games more fondly than others but I doubt anyone remembers playing E.T. with any enjoyment. XD I'll always remember the day I played it for the first time at my Uncle Tom's house. 5 minutes in and I didn't know if I died or if the game froze so I asked my uncle tom what I was supposed to do.. He said I must have beaten it and to move onto another game. He had at least five copies of that game. XD

That was the first game I ever hated. Atari games hold their charm because the vast majority of them were about getting the highest scores rather than completing them to get an ending. I can't even remember one that had an ending.

dvabanner.png

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, DeathscytheX said:

I don't know what to make of it. "Years in the making" sounds more like an actual console that will be next gen. Can Atari make it a 4 way war? I want to no, but I've been wrong plenty of times.

I think I'm overlooking some Atari Console but I'm certain if it was a console it should be "Decades in the making". Plus PS4 is so far in the lead it makes Xbox One look weak. So anyone getting into this console war right now would probably be gunning for 2nd place.

Edited by Myk JL

"Cool. I always knew Atheists would someday save The World."

- Fantomex

On 6/16/2017 at 0:34 AM, DeathscytheX said:

That was the first game I ever hated. Atari games hold their charm because the vast majority of them were about getting the highest scores rather than completing them to get an ending. I can't even remember one that had an ending.

Pitfall was the only game i knew of that had an ending. Look how bad it was:

XD

DeathscytheX likes this

I didn't realize this until yesterday. The count down timer was close to running out in that video I posted so I looked up some more about it.. turns out the game is speed run only to win it. Heres another video of a perfect run on an emulator. Activision was brutal. To beat this game you have to perfect speed run it, not die once and even then you'd only have 7 seconds of time to spare. XD This video is at double speed so it looks a bit fast. No mistakes can be made. wtf. XD

ataribox.jpg.93b0aa0a8828b71f1ec6f3912a86ee61.jpg

We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, features, pricing, timing etc. We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring Ataribox to life, and to listen closely to Atari community feedback as we do so.

It sounds like Atari has no idea what they're actually making. I'm assuming it's going to be a retro console with more games available via an online marketplace.

Source: http://kotaku.com/this-is-an-ataribox-whatever-that-is-1796979958

DeathscytheX likes this

They know what they're making, they just aren't telling us what it is yet. But if I had to guess, they might be trying their hand at the first digital only console (not counting OUYA).

dvabanner.png

16 minutes ago, DeathscytheX said:

They know what they're making, they just aren't telling us what it is yet. But if I had to guess, they might be trying their hand at the first digital only console (not counting OUYA).

So basically Nvidia Shield?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/

- Fantomex

Nah, Nvidia Shield is more of an android streaming box that can play PC games. It doesn't get Triple A titles developed for it, even though it does get multiplatform ones. Then again maybe Atari will do the same thing minus the android selection, and offer a $8 streaming service. I doubt that would be very successful though. Its one thing to download a game with shit internet speeds, and another to try to play it via streaming with a slow connection. Although they don't pop out Triple As themselves they do have their own development studio that mostly makes DBZ fighting games.

Myk JL likes this

dvabanner.png

RIP Ataribox?

Part of me was hoping / regretting If Skyrim ever came to it.

- Fantomex