DeathscytheX

Anthem (Bioware's Destiny)

Alot of comments are saying it's a sci-fi attack on titan game because a "giant wall" keeps the enemies at bay. XD I look forward to seeing some gameplay but with it being bioware I'll take it with a grain of salt. Remember that 4k Mass Effect Andromeda trailer that got everyone hyped? And then on release those facial animations... XD these companies never deliver what they hype.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

A lot of that has to do with the development hell Andromeda sat in for years prior to the release.

Meh, it's Destiny with a hint Crisis (or any other game with a suit you get into). Honestly I'm burned out on these game due to Destiny so I'll most likely pass on this unless it does something that completely wows me.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Not gonna lie, this looks pretty cool. As long as they don't change this loot systems to some troll you have to pay tribute too. XD No wonky faces. Graphically this was done by Bioware's A-team.  

As Strider said, ME:A was all rushed in its last 18 months. Most games are done before then and they spend the last 18 months polishing and reviewing. It's game director left half way through prior to even that as they were trying to make it like No Man's Sky originally. The video came out yesterday from Kotaku detailing what went wrong and it makes a lot of sense. 

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Color me impressed, still not 100% sold but I'll keep a close eye on this one. Starting to wonder if maybe some of those Bungie employees that jumped ship went over to BioWare because this looks like they took the original concept of Destiny (open world, do as you please, etc) and actually went through with it. You can definitely tell this was done by BioWare Edmonton and not one of the support teams.

If it sticks on one planet with fast travel it would def be a lot better than just a few maps on different planets. I also like how your suit is the class instead of the character. Apparently you can own more than one suit. The Ranger is all purpose and the Colossus that the other character has is obviously the heavy. 

I look forward to seeing more. 

They're going for a more FF approach to this by allowing you to be anything you want which I like (I can play every Job on one character in FFXIV which has ruined me for other MMO's now). I'm just wondering how many suit variants they're going to have. Colossus is obviously a tank based suit with heavy armor and I'm assuming heavier armaments. Ranger seems to be the jack of all trades middle road suit, most likely packing medium armor and a range of weapons. Make me wonder if we're also going to get a light, agile suit for hit-and-run tactics.

I'm assuming this is all one planet and we won't be traveling off of it (based on the look of the city the most advanced things we have are the suits and those giant AT-AT things, I could be wrong but it seems this is going to be a more grounded game unlike Destiny). It seems like travel is seamless so I'm assuming fast travel won't be a thing since the suits apparently come with a jet pack/rocket booster attachments that allows them to fly (based on the video, seems like it's infinite as long as you can control it properly). Again I could be wrong and there might be a fast-travel system but based on that video I wouldn't want to use it. Seems like a lot of random shit goes on when traveling through the world and I'd hate to miss any of it (plus that jungle/forest looked amazing in the vid).

I wonder what Bungie's response to this is going to be as it's obvious this is superior to Destiny 2 and it's not even in alpha yet. It's obvious that EA/BioWare has been watching Bungie and learning from their fuck ups (by what I understand there is a crafting system in Anthem so that already beats D2 out in my books). As I said before I'll be watching this closely. My interest is piqued but until I can actually get my hands on it and try it I'll reserve judgement (sadly you just know any beta for this game is going to be locked behind a pre-order).

I'm sure there will be a agile light class. That's what I wanted to see. It would be cool if there was more than 3 as well. Or at least 3 with a shit ton of configurations. Ah, we'll probably never get Mechwarrior 2/Armored Core type level of tinkering, but one could only dream. One minor detail I missed in the original watch, (which was at work XD I've been waiting all day to see the gameplay) was the fact that even though the other player looted the chest, the player we were viewing the perspective of, also go the contents of the chest. That's really nice. I'm sure it has a limitation via AOE radius, but it beats saying "hey there is a chest over here" and then having to wait for everyone to grab it.

oooh, and I'm glad Arekkz is going to cover this game.

They just said this will be a 10 year game.... you know... like Destiny was suppose to be. XD Oh boy... I highly doubt it. You'd have to deliver one hell of a full experience to keep selling $30 expacs that continuously deliver amazing content. For a console game I just don't see how its possible. The Hype behind Destiny's claim was believable at the time, because next gen was still pretty new, and we didn't know the extent of it's limitations.

That being said, I can see this game lasting 3-4 years. The javelin suits have a lot of potential to sell cosmetics

Eh, BioWare isn't one to just say something and not deliver (ME:A being an exception here), I could see this being a 10 year game if they do it correctly. By correctly I mean timing their DLC perfectly, making said DLC free and not put it behind a pay wall (though I would not be against paying for DLC if they can justify why we need to pay), and actually treating this game as an MMO and not a hybrid shooter with some MMO mechanics (this is really what hurt Destiny, Bungie never gave it a clear cut identity and it shows). The other thing is having a good plot/story that actually allows for expansion on the base game, not actually requiring a second game to fix fuck ups and plot holes introduced in the first.

Due to BioWare's status as a AAA developer that always delivers (again ME:A is the exception but this was made by their B team, not one of their A teams) EA seems to be giving them more free reign on how they go about their business (especially considering how well the original ME trilogy did). Sadly this is all speculation and we won't have anything concrete on this game until most likely either TGS, Gamescom, or E3 next year (I'm assuming we'll get news out of Gamescom but probably not much, TGS really doesn't have many western developers make a showing and they'd be stupid to keep quite until E3 next year. Hell we might get lucky and get news out of GDC but I doubt it).

Plus honestly we still don't really know the limitations on the current gen hardware, especially when you factor in the PS4 Pro and the XboneX. Most of the premier games for either the Xbone or PS4 had limitations forced on them by last generation consoles so we really haven't seen much more then a few titles that might be pushing either console to its limits (Horizon is one of the most beautiful games I've played on PS4 and I've only really run into a few issues here and there which I blame on bad coding more than console performance).

Its still seems pretty limited power wise. All these PS4 Pros and Xbox One X's still run these games at 30FPS. At the same time It's not really any companies fault. Kinda/sorta related, I read an article a few days ago about why game loading times are still atrocious, and its due to hardware limitations overall. Even for PC, we've reached a peak on harddrive read times while CPU and GPU tech advances. Even SSD aren't fast enough. HDD/SSD tech is still growing, but at a much slower rate than CPU and GPU. So technically you could drop a bomb ass CPU/GPU into these consoles and make the most beautiful games.... with 10 min loading screens. XD

I do believe Bioware will deliver a game much better than destiny. I think its a stretch that it will last 10 years, especially with a new Playstation and Xbox coming out within the next 6 maybe? I'd say we're half way through this gen's lifespan. Maybe I'm wrong... but its pretty hard to stay relevant for that long. I'd like to see it happen. In my older age, I tend to stay loyal to games as long as their fun and people are playing them. I've played Overwatch for more than a year... longer than I've spent on any shooter since BF2. I prefer the longevity model, because annual releases = less quality. Look what it has done to Battlefield. I'd like to have something similar Destiny promised in this game.

This has gotten me thinking about actual game longevity. What games in existence now has truely lasted 10 years or more with just their base game needed? Sure there can be expansions, but they'll still require that one base game that has lasted 10 years. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is World of Warcraft. Its 13 years old now. But about 4 years ago they had to start upgrading all the graphics and I'm assuming the game engine itself. Seeing as thats a PC game and the new graphics require a stronger GPU, CPU, etc. they were able to do it with no problem. But if it was a console game that would have been the end of life seeing as the initial console it came out on would have been outdated within that initial 9 year span. Any new game coming out for a console that says 'it will be a 10 year game' doesn't seem realistic at all to me. Maybe theres some other games out there I'm not thinking of, I'm sure theres some Indie game out there thats been going on for 20 years or some crap. But for AAA games, I can't think of many. Final Fantasy XIV has hit 7 years now and I'm wondering if it'll get a graphic overhaul soon. Guild Wars 2 is only 5 years old and it already needs an overhaul to it's engine. I could see it lasting 10 years, but barely unless the engine gets an overhaul. A new 10 year game would have to be as big as MMOs to keep people interested for that long of a span of time. Overwatch will probably last 5 years, maybe more. But theres only so many skins and game modes you can add until the player base eventually moves on to something else.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

XIV doesn't need a graphics overhaul considering this iteration is only 4 years old (you have to remember the original XIV or 1.0 in this instance failed hard and the game was scrapped, rebuilt from the bottom up, and re-released as ARR or 2.0). Stormblood is amazingly beautiful, they really upped the graphics quality with this release (they redid nothing but they utilize DirectX 11 now, instead of 9 like they did with ARR). I expect to see XIV go on for at least another 5-6 years considering it's still growing (last count was 8+ million subscribers) and if they keep releasing a quality game (launches with standing, they can't seem to get that shit right) and continue their patch cycle (every 3 months we get new content) this game will go on for a long while.

You also forget FFXI, its been out for 15 years and has not seen any major graphic overhauls (minor gameplay ones) and it's currently the longest running MMO to date (then again Everquest is still technically running) and it's due for a Mobile release soon (don't really know the details but it's a scaled down version of FFXI). Fuck people still play the game religiously.

WoW's game engine hasn't seen any real improvements, it's still technically the same engine but they've expanded it to do a lot more then it was originally capable of (graphically included, the graphics overhaul was because Blizzard thought it was time to leave the cartoony graphics behind (though it's still pretty cartoony).

Honestly we won't see another major iteration in consoles for another year or two and that will most likely be out of Sony more than Microsoft. MS already stated they won't be releasing a new console and wish to only improve upon the XBone going foward, maybe releasing newer versions like the S and X (considering how much money and time they put into the X they would be retarded to start developing a new console now). If anything generations are gone, we'll be stuck with similar consoles only slightly more powerful than the last. Ultimately I think the goal is to go modular, like a computer and allow us to upgrade parts going forward. While that may sound stupid it's actually not. It'll allow gamers who can't afford high-end computers to get into gaming at a cheaper cost and allow them to upgrade as they need to any parts going out of date (instead of spending $2100 like I did on my computer someone can go out, pick up whatever iteration of the XBone we're on for lets say $500, and then down the line buy a new graphics card/cpu/etc. This in the long run is much cheaper as they're still paying a smaller fee to get in whereas no matter what I'll always be spending more since my initial in was $2100). Meh, you can take that as you will but honestly I don't foresee anything more out of consoles, generation wise, other then slightly better versions coming out.

It doesn't sound stupid. I've actually had lengthy convos with Sledge about this, and we both pretty much agree. Although putting a PC together isn't that difficult, the parts may look "scary" to most, and the thought of it is a hassle to a lot that are just lazy like me. :P If you make a modular console where you plug boxes together like legos, even the the least technically inclined could do it without worrying about breaking stuff, software malfunctions, or part compatibility.  I could see them selling a new GPU/CPU unit for $100-150 ever 3 years or so, just plug it in and play the newest games. Maybe you can even get a discount by trading your old part so it can be certified refurb, or so Sony/MS can reuse the plastic casing if they make it super standardized. By this time I see console gaming going full digital as well. Discs will definitely be gone. They might resort to a USB stick or even a cartridge like the Switch where the game installs off of it for those that lack internet access. But I think it would be less of a hassle to do it 100% digital. This way the online store can read your hardware and stop you from purchasing games that you don't have the necessary upgrades for as your system ages. Otherwise people that just don't pay attention, whether it be the actual gamer, or the clueless parent buying their kid a game will get frustrated, when they can't play the game they bought/got for Playstation Modular, even though the game says its for that system. As someone that works retail, (As Strider also knows) refunds are a hassle, and restocking costs labor. Its not as simple as bringing it back. One return doesn't cost very much, but as they rack up, it adds up. The nature of the return in a business where the customer is always right, a lot of the time stuff can't be restocked and sold, and its just a loss.

Fucking terrible. :( I don't think it will effect Anthem's launch. I'm pretty sure the story is already done and the game's framework is complete. It's terrible for the future of this franchise though, the future of BioWare, and it's a big loss for gamers in general.

While I'm quite optimistic about the game after those videos I'm not going to get hyped considering BioWare's track record as of late (I mean come on, Andromeda did not deserve what happened to it). As more gameplay footage comes out I'll start making my judgement but I'm not falling for the hype like I did with Destiny and The Division (yes I know The Division is a much better game now but still, we both know how it was when it first came out).

If everything that was covered in those videos is true, however, this will be the game I've been waiting for since Destiny was originally announced and this might just be what kills my addiction to FFXIV. That's a big if though.

Obviously the game won't be perfect. I fully expect cosmetic microtransations, the potential for Javelin skins are too good to pass up. I could see skins, booster effects, lighting packages, weapon camo, etc. 

They're going to have to have a solid loot pool implemented with good variety, and specific ways to get some. They're also going to need to have way better communication with the playerbase than Bungie has done. Right now D2's community is just a wave of rage and Bungie is just adding more to the landslide dropping into the ocean. Its amazing how they can't implement mass deletion of shaders until later this year (even though you can do this with important items), but can delay Faction Rally for a month just to nerf token acquisitions. Basically don't make the classic mistake of prioritizing reward nerfs over serious issues with the game. Especially if the rewards are lackluster in the first place. XD

From that last video it seems Bioware has been paying attention to Destiny 2 and The Division and taking notes on what and what not do. They have a lot riding on this game. People can give Andromeda a pass since it was a B team studio, but if this gets fucked up, their rep is going to take some irreversible damage. At a time where there aren't many developers left that are still viewed highly by gamers, we definitely don't need that to happen.