Sledgstone

Mass Effect 1 - Playthrough

I started playing Mass Effect 1 this weekend. Since this game is so old, I will be using this topic to post updates on my progress of the game with spoilers as I come across them (new content for me, old for everyone else. XD). Please don't spoil anything for me please. XD I just learned that mass effect is actually a means of FTL travel. I had no idea. XD I just figured it was a catchy scifi name for the series. XD I'm just past the initial mission and at the citadel right now. Saved the game right when I got there and haven't had the time to explore yet. I have some questions for all the Mass Effect vets here..

1) Should I be actively equipping any and all gear to my squad mates as I come across stuff? I equipped a pistol on this one guy after I got it out of a crate, then he turned around to investigate something, then got shot and killed in a cutscene.. that pistol is now gone. x_x That was a cutscene death tho, what about my other squadmates? If they die is it permadeath too? I'll loose whatever upgrades they had equipped?

2) Should I be micromanaging combat like KOTOR 1? I know this game is made by the same dev and it really feels alot like a mixture of KOTOR's interface with more active combat. I was just treating it like an FPS, but then I realized the combat can be paused whenever with the space bar so I can order my squad to do things or use powers.

3) I picked infiltrator (i think thats what it was) because it has a sniper proficiency. I love sniping so it made sense for me to take this class. Its fun to kill people from a distance but I definitely miss not being able to hold breath to steady a shot. For anyone that knows, is infiltrator good in the late stages of the game or should I re-roll and go with something different since I'm not that far in?

4) Interact is the E button and using medi-gel packs is F.. Guild Wars 2 has conditioned me so much I keep using health packs at every damn container I try to open. x_x Should I save my health packs as much as possible or do they drop enough that I shouldn't be stingy with them?

5) Should I save my grenades for big enemies or throw them around as often as I want like in Uncharted? Do squad mates have grenades? or is it just me. I went into the space bar UI and didn't see any grenade options for my squadmates. Is that because they didn't have grenades at that time?

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

You have a few squad deaths later in the game. One you can't avoid, the other is avoidable. It's been so long I can't remember much about gearing other NPCs. You'll be spending a good many hours exploring the citadel before you get into exploring planets. Make sure you interact with everyone. You can pick up some side quests for when you finally depart. 

Use nades. You should get them pretty frequently from containers. Same with medigel. Use them if you're about to die. Dying isn't very forgiving in this game if you don't save often... Unless they've patched in autosave years later, it didn't exist when the game first came out. 

You don't really need to micromanage combat. But you'll find out who is good without commands and who isn't. Wrex needs to be on your party at all times tbh. Everyone else is up to you. 

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

1) Yes and no. It's advisable to keep you're squadmates as well geared as you are but not entirely necessary (well I should say the ones you use, I used the same two squadmates throughout the entire game so I only worried about keeping them geared). You'll have one squad mate death you can't avoid (and it is a choice between 2 characters, that's not really a spoiler as by now you should of heard of this considering the age of the game) and one that you can avoid as long as you pick the right dialog choices and yes they are perma-death if they happen in a cutscene. Considering how often certain pieces of gear drop you'll never have to worry about gear being lost as you can either pick it up somewhere else or buy it (the only exception are Spectre class weapons (you'll be learning about them shortly), there's only one set you can buy and another set you can pick up if you're lucky (these are the best weapons in the game, I suggest buying the first set when you can (it'll be awhile as they are expensive))).

2) I never micromanaged combat in either KoToR1 or ME1, I let the NPC's decide what to do. The one thing I'll give ME is that the squad AI isn't bad and can fend for itself (no where near as good as they do in 2 or 3 but still better then other games). It's really your choice if you want to micromanage them or not.

3) Infiltrator isn't bad in the late game but just make sure you know how to play it effectively. There are some pretty hairy fights toward the end of the game that can be extremely difficult to get through as an Infiltrator. I suggest getting used to using you're pistol as your primary weapon if you decide to continue down the Infiltrator path as the sniper rifle isn't advisable unless you're engaging and extreme long ranges (and with the way heat works you get 1-2 shots before you're gun overheats (2 if you have the best sniper in game with the best add-ons)). Not trying to turn you away from it as I played my first time through as an Infiltrator and loved it but the game is ten times easier to play through as a Soldier (in fact it's pretty much easy mode if you do).

4) Meh, if you save often you'll be fine if you don't use medi-gels like a nut but I suggest using them every time you have to. They're not sparse but they also aren't as plentiful as you'd like them.

5) Use nades every change you get. They spawn like rabbits so you'll never not have grenades.

As DX said interact with everyone as side quests are everywhere, you never really know who'll have one and who won't (god I love how ME:A made this so much easier to tell, about the only thing they did right). Also pick you're squad composition to compliment you're current play style/class. As an Infiltrator I ran Wrex and Liara, Wrex due to him being a Soldier and Liara because she was Biotic. Gave me a little of everything since Infiltrators are Tech based in ME (changes in ME:A) and allowed me to get through the game with relative ease. If I remember correctly ME has a system that will tell you if you're heavily leaning toward Tech/Biotic/Soldier based teams (it's a good judge of who you should and shouldn't bring with you). Other then that enjoy your play through. ME1 is my second favorite in the series after ME3 (I liked ME3. It had superior storytelling, the plot was amazing, character interactions were at their best, and I actually like how it originally wrapped up. All you haters can now roast me).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Make multiple save files too, even some minor things you do can change the story in the 3rd game... Including your choice in characters dying. So make sure you back yourself up in case you might not like what you did. 

I played solider in all 3 games and it is easy mode. You can beast through just about anything. 

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Thanks for the tips guys. :D I re-rolled a soldier and I don't regret it. Aiming an assault rifle with this guy with iron sights is more accurate than the damn sniper rifle sway. I didn't care for how sniping is handled in this game. The sway and 2 shot limit before over heating is too much of a burden for it to be my primary weapon outside of a pistol. The soldier class can use a sniper rifle when I feel like sniping anyway. Using an assault rifle is way more fun as my primary than running with a pistol constantly.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Been a while since playing ME1, so going off old memories here!  I love the infiltrator, but that's what I tend towards.  You still definitely need a close-range weapon, and while the heat system can get you into trouble sometimes, I do like not having to worry about running out of ammo in the middle of a huge fight!  Later games balance the weapons you can use better, so you can load up with a sniper rifle and an assault rifle, giving you good choices for both options.

Yes, if your teammates have grenades as an option, they do sometimes use them.  I never worried about micromanaging my fights, though.  I learned who will do what (such as some characters running out into the middle of things) and worked with that.  Makes fights a lot more fun as your teammates aren't useless on their own.

For gear, you don't have to equip everything you find.  Most stuff you can get at stores later in the game, and there's lots of gear combos that are effective.  Just go with what looks the best of the gear you have and can buy at a time, and you should be fine. 

Save often and in different slots.  You may want to go back and redo some things later in the game.  But don't worry, the ending is pretty epic!

Also, the Mako is fucking hilariously awesome to drive.  And fly off mountains!  I always got the feeling that when my Shepard was going out in the Mako, the other teammates would rock/paper/scissors and the losers had to join her.  XD There's a lot places you'll have to drive around in, but also a lot of places where you just run around and explore planets.  Talk to people and do a lot of random side quests; it's really interesting how some of those will show up in the other games.  Nothing major, just odds and ends and some neat flavor text type of stuff.

Edit: just remembered his name, make sure you talk to Conrad Verner at the Citadel.  No matter what your responses are, make sure you do.  He does show up in next two games, but only if you talk to him in each game.  He's entertaining comic relief later in the series, so for amusement's sake, talk to him.  XD

Edited by Dubird

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg