Sony officially announced the "PlayStation 4 Pro" today:

With PlayStation 4 Pro our goal is to deliver innovation in the form of cutting-edge visuals and graphics while in the midst of the PS4’s lifecycle. PS4 Pro, which launches November 10, 2016, for a suggested retail price of $399.99, enhances PS4 games by supporting the latest in imaging technology through 4K resolution and High Dynamic Range (HDR), as well as smoother frame rates. Games that already look extraordinary on PS4 will look richer and more detailed, thanks to the more powerful GPU and faster CPU at the heart of PS4 Pro.

With more pixels, 4K’s higher resolution delivers graphics that are sharper and have greater detail than ever imagined. HDR enables visuals to look much closer to the way your eyes see the real world.

Some developers are updating previously launched PS4 games to add PS4 Pro support, while other developers are building PS4 Pro support into upcoming releases. At launch, you’ll be able to download patches for games – such as Uncharted 4 – which are enhanced when playing on the new console. Future releases that will have PS4 Pro enhancements built-in include Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mass Effect: Andromeda and Days Gone.

However, even if you own an HDTV that does not support either 4K or HDR, PS4 Pro still provides a number of benefits. All games will run in 1080p resolution, and some will even run in a higher or more stable framerate. If you’re a gamer that wants to be at the forefront of innovation, PS4 Pro is for you.

We also know a lot of our fans watch movies, TV shows, and videos on their PS4, so we’re working with our partners who offer best-in-class streaming services to build new apps for PS4 Pro. Netflix will launch a new app at the launch of PS4 Pro that supports 4K. YouTube is also developing a new 4K-compatible app for PS4 Pro.

No longer called the PlayStation Neo, the PS4 Pro will give us 4k gaming and HDR. I don't have a 4K tv so I'm in no rush to get one of these myself.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/07/playstation-meeting-2016-introducing-ps4-pro-and-the-slimmer-lighter-ps4/

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

It seriously looks like they took the slim and spliced it onto a normal PS4 XD, that's just sad.

Sigh, $400 for a new PS4 when I've only owned my current one for 2. Yea I'll pass. 4K gaming doesn't interest me in the least (graphics are the last thing I consider when buying a game) and I'm not going to spend $1500+ on a decent 4K TV just so I can play them. Even if there are minor benefits on normal HDTV's I just don't see the point.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Sony is really dropping the ball on the PS4 Pro in my opinion. It will have no 4k Blu ray player support because "streaming is the future". I'm not rushing out to buy any 4k tvs or consoles anytime soon, but seriously sony? You own the patent on the devices and you're not putting it in your own product? If I was into 4k everything, I'd be pissed. I prefer physical movies to streaming any day. Blu rays give me much better audio and look crisper than when I stream off netflix. Even the Xbox One slim will have a 4k bluray player. The PS4 slim and Pro should both have it too, but wont. I bet at least 1/4 of the US has data caps or crap internet and 4k streaming won't even be an option for them. It feels like Sony is narrowing down its core customer base a bit too fast.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-ps4-pro-doesnt-have-a-4k-blu-ray-player/1100-6443411/

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg