Sledgstone

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX = Portable Console)

34 minutes ago, DeathscytheX said:

Ehhhh. Like I said, it probably wont matter much to me. I can play all of Zelda without a wolf, honestly I'd prefer it because that character doesn't belong in that timeline (Muh Immersion). Amiibo's wouldn't sell without those perks. I'm not sure how far it will go on the Switch though because they are getting rid of the Miiverse altogether. Miis will stay on Wii U, but they wont be on Switch. That throws Amiibo into question to me.

If it unlocked characters for Smash Bros, I'd be kinda pissed, but a skin for Mario Kart looks pretty garbage too me. I rather just be Bowser or Mario that my crappy Mii with a junky looking skin. Plus I'd never play Mario Kart online, so no one would see the skins and it would make them pointless for me. 99.9% of the games I buy for switch will be single player. While the Wolf is neat, I bet its as useful as the Spirit Wolf elite skill in GW2. Once you get geared up and face tougher opponents, it will be garbage.

I'm guessing that Wolf Link has the same role as the dogs in BotW. So you don't have to buy the Wolf Link Amiibo in order to get that in game function.

I have my doubts that Nintendo is getting rid of Amiibos since they made Amiibos for BotW. Especially if Switch controllers have Amiibo readers. Seems like unneeded hardware if they were.

As for Miiverse, I never got involved in that. I don't know if no Miiverse means no Miis. But I wouldn't miss the Miis if they were gone. The Xbox Avatars look way better. And PS Home Avatars were the best looking out of the three, but they those were tied to PS Home.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I looked into the Wii U Smash Bros game to see if any characters are locked behind amiibos and they aren't. The amiibos when used in smash bros only unlock their AI controlled characters and have stats independent from the regular AI characters that can be leveled up and transferred back to the amiibo. Sounds interesting because you could have that more powerful amiibo on your team but at the same time I don't see how they could be too much more powerful to make any significant difference. I never looked into amiibo as much as I did last night. Pretty much every amiibo either unlocks a skin for that character or it enables an AI controlled character in the game or it unlocks a larger DLC, like the Twilight Princess wolf link unlocks a dungeon in TP. I could be wrong but think the only toys that unlock characters in any game are the Disney Infinity (closing in march) and Skylanders toys for their own respective titles, both of which are their own versions of amiibos and a separate scanning device. And it looks like Lego uses toy DLC too now with the Lego Dimensions game.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

But as Myk pointed out, the wolf is just a skin for Dogs. I forgot about it after I watched a 20min play through. You can befriend dogs and they'll do the same thing. So it's really not some extra character for having the Amiibo, it's just another skin. 

If a $3 Amiibo unlocked dlc like an extra dungeons, I'd probably pick it up so long as there wasn't like 10 a game. Paying $6-9 for some extra content is better than $15 for an hour mission like some other games. 

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I got my Wolf Link on the 21st just to find out Nintendo has restocked them at Gamestop.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-wolf-link-amiibo/140241

I'm a little embarrassed I paid twice the amount for mine.... But not as embarrassing as losing $89 after unintentionally buying a PS4 from a 3rd Party Seller I didn't trust on Amazon.... At least I bought my Wolf Link intentionally from a 3rd Party Seller on Amazon.... Also Gamestop doesn't state that these Amiibos will work for the Switch.... Just the 3DS & Wii U.

Yeah, I'm still keeping this Wolf Link Amiibo. (In its plastic packaging for now.)

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I hate 3rd party sellers on amazon. I ordered a handful of pokemon cards for a friend and regretted it. They all were from different sellers, no tracking information and 2 of the cards never came. I had to email the seller, got no reply after 48 hours and had to do a claim for a refund through amazon. I got the refund for those immediately which was nice. But it makes me never want to buy from a 3rd party on there again. The seller wasn't even shady. Had 4 out of 5 stars for the last six months and then they just stopped doing business that week with no notice.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/03/the-switch-launch-lineup-is-deliberately-weak-for-reasons-actually-says-a-nintendo-were-paraphrasing-freely/

This is interesting, but dangeous. They'll need to spread these releases our more games will fall through the cracks when too much is coming out and players have to pick and choose. As much as I complain about large swathes of games coming out at once, I know to save my money around that time of the year. I don't buy games every month, and more like twice a year. If they do 4 month increments, it might work good. You have to let players consume the content. 

That reads to me like Nintendo is doing some damage control. The launch titles are weak, just like the PS4's launch titles were weak. Saying its intentional is just another way of saying they're shipping the product to early before content is ready for it. Sony did the same thing with PS4. I remember that first year was mostly ports of indie games with maybe 10 actual AAA releases that were worth a damn. Its to be expected tho. Every console launches with only a few key games nowadays.

True, but at the same time, they can't afford to have droughts like MS and Sony. They're gonna have to have a better flow of titles to keep people coming back and not trading in the console after they play Zelda and Mario. It came out yesterday that Wii U was their worst selling console ever. They have a lot of rebuilding to do outside of the hardcore fanboys. 

I much rather would have had the charging grip, rather than the two rubber protectors with wrist straps. I guarantee that's why it was cut for cost. They would sell way less wrist straps than charging grips too because hardly any real gamers like motion controls.

I got to watch the unboxing video on that other link.. That Switch looks so much smaller than I thought it would be. I don't see how good it'll work as a portable outside of someone's home tho. Its too big to fit in a pocket and it'll need a screen protector for transporting it. I bet Nintendo has an official carrying purse/duffel already in the works for it to be released in a month or to in a limited run of 200 that includes a special amiibo that will be resold on ebay for $500. XD

Thats really what all these fanboys don't get, Its not just the Switch, but the Joy Cons attached to it. Its going to need a carrying case unless you're willing to get hand cramps. It doesn't bother me though, as long as good games come out for it. It will never leave my house for the most part. There are rumors that there will be a GameCube virtual console, and they wont deny it either. The only issue with that is that there will have to be a GC controller adapter. Games like Mario Sunshine used analogue buttons that relied on different types of pressure to adjust the power of the stream from FLUDD. You couldn't play a lot of games on the run. 

My first impressions is that this is a neat little console that has its uses for adult gamers that have kids, and limited TV access rather than on the go gaming. I only used it in portable mode for a motion controlled shrine on Zelda. The controller seemed to be off center with the gyroscope so I swapped to handheld mode and it was a little better. I think it had more to do with the game. The screen is nice and crisp, but definitely not the Super AMOLED screens you're use to seeing on android devices. I'm sure this has to do with battery life.

The console is very small and light weight, but not small enough to stick in your pocket and go around with. The only transportation I'd feel comfortable with is bringing the whole system to a friends house to show off.

For someone like me that is going to play this docked 99.9% of the time, the pro controller is a must. No debate. The joycon buttons are tiny and the sticks are as well. This leads to an over sensitivity that I just can't get use to. I'm glad everyone was out of the charging grip, making me decide to buy this controller. It feels great in the hands, and has a nice 90s retro feel at the same time. Its like an Xbox 360 controller had a lovechild with a Sega Genesis controller. XD I say that because that's what the triggers feel like... just mashed buttons. There is no refined pull like ps4/xb1's offerings. But I doubt that the FPS genre will be huge on switch anyways. The Joycon's triggers are pretty much the same, just smaller.

The biggest upside for me is that the Switch isn't a blast furnace like the bigger consoles. Its small, quiet, and generates no head out of its exhaust vent. I can easily leave my PC on and not suffocate in electronically generated humidity. This is great because I can leave my PC running for guides instead of using my phone. 

The framerate in docked mode is worse than mobile for Zelda. This is odd, but I think its because the game gets scaled with what is the equivalent of maxing shaders and shadows on a PC game. Since the dock doubles the power of the switch almost, you would think it could handle it, but I want to say this is mostly because BoTW is a port that hasn't been properly optimized. The only time the framerate drop gets bad is when you're going full speed on a horse through woods with tall grass and goblins are jumping out everywhere. It got BAD, outside of that it wasn't much of an issue. Tall grass, and running water seem to drag it down the most.

The biggest downside to the Switch is that its pretty much just a gaming console. With something this mobile its a shame thats all you can do. The options menu is pretty basic, and outside the store there is nothing else to do in Switch's UI. No web browser, no streaming services, no virtual console (yet), and no real sign of any online perks to justify paying a monthly sub fee. The internet connection only serves as an update tool... and it updates pretty fast. A lot faster than PS4 and its "preparing to download" segment. So yeah, there is plenty of time to wait and see how the switch evolves and what games come out for it. Right now its just a Zelda machine.

Thanks for your console review, you addressed everything I was interested in knowing about the system. I'll hold off on getting a switch anytime soon until more games and features get released. I think it has some great potential but I can't help but think Nintendo missed out on something amazing by not making it a traditional console with more power. Instead it's a powered up gaming tablet that has none of the basic functionality of a standard $50 amazon fire tablet. With no netflix or Web browsing it really is just a Zelda machine for now.

Yeah, i'm thinking there will be a newer version by next year with a better chip and battery the old on will go down to $200. They could do a lot of good by just selling the tablet part if they do this for people willing to upgrade.

Imagine if the dock served another purpose instead of just being a power cord, hdmi plug and switch holder. Nintendo could have put a stronger GPU with exhaust fan in the dock that the switch could have "switched" to for massive performance upgrades. Maybe we'll get that feature with the "Switch U" in 2-3 years.

I don't think there will be a Switch U. They'll continue supporting this system. They couldn't make the docked configuration too much more powerful or else development would be tough for making sure two modes work properly. I do think there will be a new version similar to PS4 Pro. I bet there will be Mario and Zelda bundles around the holidays, which will be the best time to buy. 

Nintendo is making a portable only Switch! I intend to trade in my current Switch because I hate the fact The Dock needs a LAN Adapter.

Here's hoping that if there ever is a non portable only Switch it will properly hook up to an Ethernet Cable.

Maybe, but I don't see it right now. Gameboy battery life is still far superior to Switch. I haven't looked too much into it but I highly doubt removing rumble and motion censors is going to add that much more life to the battery on the lite. I love these commercials though "lets go to these active lifestyle parks and facilities and just play switch instead of participating in the activities." XD

Nintendo has already gone on record saying they will not discontinue the DS line as long as people continue to buy and support it and I don't see that stopping anytime soon since parents love it for their kids (and it's still cheaper to buy a brand new 3DS over this new Switch). I love my 3DS but sadly I just don't have the time to play it anymore and my Switch has turned into nothing but a display item (don't get me wrong I love it and SSB but I spend way to much time on my PC playing games).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589