Sledgstone

Cell phone advertisements

Back when mobile phones and tablets were becoming mainstream everyone started updating their Web sites to be more and more mobile friendly, eliminating all images over 20k, taking out all background images, making everything run as smoothly as possible to compensate for the extremely limited bandwidth, etc. But now everyone has 4G LTE Internet, a lot of data on their plans and even better WiFi speeds.

But the trend never went back to sites with heavy graphic usage. Instead every site is the same layout of single article images and text... and a crap ton of advertisements. I've seen sites with so many advertisements that the page will keep loading on my phone for over 4 minutes. I'll get ads that hover over comics completely blocking 1/4 of the panel if the phone is horizontal. Or an ad embedded into an image at the bottom like some sort of graphical subtitle. There will be ads that hijack the entire screen forcing you to click an X somewhere to keep reading. Or how about that annoying ad that scrolls up over shit while you scroll down? I've seen sites that have all that combined and the entire article is broken into 8 pages so fresh ads can load each page. 

How about YouTube ads that last 30 seconds and is unskippable even tho the video you are trying to watch is only 15 seconds long? Imagine if cable was that bad? Lol. Yeah.. cable has less advertising than mobile phone Internet now. Mobile phone browsing went from one of the most convenient, fastest ways to get content that you want to becoming a burden of navigating thru ads. I read that 60% of all links shared on Facebook are never clicked on. From my experience, it's because of the fucking ads. I won't even click on links on my phone from Facebook anymore. All the ads would destroy my battery and my patience. It feels like everyone will eventually become ADHD within my lifetime at this rate. Click a link, try reading something, ad pops up and blocks it, hit back to leave the site and move on to the next link.

Is it just me or are mobile advertisements going a bit too far? I'm going to get some ad block plug-ins for my phone browser now.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Unless I'm actually viewing sites that are ad heavy I haven't really noticed mobile advertisements much (unless I'm playing a F2P game or surfing web sites that are known to have bad ad coverage, the main reason I don't visit wiki's on my phone (my god advertisements on wiki's are horrible)). Hell advertising is worse on computers then mobile (I can't go to any webpage, with the exception of a few, that don't pop-up a minimum of 5 ads anymore (thank you Adblock plus and Avast Online Security)). Maybe I'm just lucky but like I said I've never been overly burdened with mobile advertisements since I tend to stick away from ad heavy webpages and apps while using my phone.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I wish there was an adblock plus for mobile devices. I forget how spoiled I am with youtube on my desktop sometimes XD. I hate those floating ads that block the article you're trying to read.. and they make the X so small that you'll click on the ad and go to the page. When you hit back, there is the same damn ad again. You have to zoom in to maximum to hit the X. Mobile ads are bullshit, just another reason to use reddit for news on my interests. I usually keep "used desktop site" clicked on my browser just for that and I prefer the full site most of the time. The one i find the most hilarous are newspaper websites that only let you read like 5 articles a week and then want you to subscribe. Really? newspapers are dying because free news on the internet, and they want you to pay for their internet news? I laugh and go to find free article on it.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I use adblock+ on Firefox all the time. Maybe regular desktop ads are just as bad as they are on mobile but I won't even check at this point. I noticed that adblock plus makes their own browser for android but I haven't tried it yet. On my old phone I did install Firefox with adblock but it ran so horribly it wasn't worth using. Maybe on my new phone it'll work good. I agree about reddit. It's one of the few sites that has alot of text based content without any obtrusive ads.

I don't foresee myself ever buying a digital newspaper subscription. The only thing I might cave in and buy is the ad free YouTube upgrade but the more YouTube ads I see the less I want to use YouTube and not reward them and give them money for annoying me. I've already gotten used to muting my phone and putting the screen down while I wait 30 seconds to pass to skip ads while I watch something on my tv. But on my galaxy s7 I can actually run 2 apps via split screen now. I should be able to mute my phone and browse reddit while ignoring half my phone screen. 

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

For some reason Firefox just doesn't run that well on my Note which is why I've been using Chrome almost exclusively now (same on my laptop, Firefox has really gone down hill in recent years. My browser crashes almost 5-6 times a night sometimes). I love reddit and I use it almost exclusively on my phone when looking up various things (mostly FFXIV news and what have you).

I hate newspaper sites and they're whole subscription thing. Honestly I can get better news from someone else and not have to pay for it. Speaking of news I should really install the BBC app on my phone (I've had it on all my previous phones but never put it on this one).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589