DeathscytheX

Voltron: Legendary Defender

My biggest gripe and fear right now is how inconsistent the animation seems to be. While the sizzle reel shows great fluid motion, some normal clips on youtube shows some choppy typical western animation. Animation isn't cheap, I get that... hopefully it doesn't become a turn off.

here is what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm spoiled, it just seems to me it goes from fluid to choppy to fluid to choppy movement. most notably after the initial fight scene, and at the end when there running to the vehicle. I'll give it a shot either way.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

That sizzle reel.. Awesome. I loved my Voltron toys when I was a kid and that clip is amazing. Voltron battling in space!? epic. :D But that other clip looks like The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra style animation. While not bad, it does seem inconsistent to swap between standard animation and cg animation, especially when they seem to have different fps to me.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

It seems no worse then the animation problems with Sailor Moon Crystal (which lets be honest there were plenty during the TV run of the first two seasons). Just gotta give them time to work the animation kinks out as the series progresses. Plus that's a major problem with mixing CG animation with Traditional animation, you get those wonky ass inconsistencies (which are highly noticeable in mech related shows (there was some funky ass shit going on with the animation in Gundam 00 and even in Macross Frontier)).

Edited by Strider Hiryu
I can't spell again

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I finished this up the other day. It was a fun series but leaned a little to much on the humor side to me. But then again, its been over 20 years since I've watched the original voltron and it probably had the same levity. The animation was good and blended well into the cg parts. The only serious part occurred in the last 2 episodes and it was a good plot twist. And it was from the same producers of Avatar the last airbender and Korra, thats probably why I liked it. The weapons the paladins have are a great addition for fighting outside of the lions and those same weapons have another use shown later in the season. The action scenes were great, but like many series with an extremely limited cast of good guys, you know they're in no real danger and none of them will ever die. Its literally 7 good guys and some mice versus and evil empire that controls the majority of the universe.. not a galaxy like all of star wars takes place in.. no. the entire universe. Which really doesn't make sense to me. They should have just stuck with "lets save the galaxy".. but the entire universe is a pretty big stretch. I would have liked to have seen a more diverse cast of characters and maybe seen the voltron paladins comprised of a few aliens, but instead its 5 guys from one military base on earth. I was pleased to see Voltron doing battle on all these alien worlds too. Its great to see alien life all over the place. Minor spoiler, aside from the first part of episode 1, this series doesn't even take place on earth.

I definitely recommend watching it. Great mech battles, space battles and a bunch of alien enemies. Its got some great action mixed in with some good humor.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg