I played this demo a few weekends ago and I was not impressed at all. I've been looking forward to a new Final Fantasy game for years and this particular game has been in development for what.. 20 years I think? Its a game that was scrapped and revitalized and renamed numerous times and is finally getting released. All the previews of the game looked interesting. A freestyle fighting system, teleporting sword play, and a bunch of guys driving around in a car while seeing huge monsters roaming the wild. So I got the demo and what a disappointment. This is the kind of demo that makes me glad I didn't preorder this. Wtf. I booted it up and instead of all the cool stuff I saw in the trailers, my character is a little kid with a squeaky hammer weapon. It felt like I was playing Kingdom Hearts again. The camera was crappy and the graphics were unimpressive as if made for PS3. I have a bad feeling that this game is going to tank since Square Enix thought this demo must have been good since they released it to the public. It makes perfect sense that Square Enix's next Final Fantasy game will be a remake of FF7. They obviously have no idea what they are doing with making a new game at this point. I don't want some kiddy Kingdom Hearts crap. I want an epic RPG that will suck me into the world and make me feel for the characters and feel invested in the plot. Instead I got a demo that makes me want to not even look at any more footage of this game and completely forget about it even existing at this point. Maybe it'll be good, but I sure as hell am not going to buy this on launch day now. Its pretty messed up too. If not for this demo, I would have bought this on launch day guaranteed. This is the first time a demo has actually made me change my plans on buying a game.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

XD maybe they've put too many resources into the FF7 remake? As an outsider looking in, the fan base seems to be in line with veteran COD players. Publisher is just trying to make money and knows they have enough loyalists to consume whatever they put out leaving  seasoned vet fans yearning for the days of old.

I was looking to put this game on my list, but I'll pass now. The next Mass Effect is right around the corner.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I figured it was going to be bad but not as bad as that. I may or may not still pick this up once I've read/watched some reputable reviews of the game.

See this is why I have no faith in the FF7 remake. From what little we've seen of the game so far the battle system is similar to XV (without the teleporting shit) and honestly the graphics are pretty much the same from whats in XV. SE fucked up with the XIII series (no matter how good the story was in the first game that does not excuse the game we were given or the whole series as a point) and really fucked the dog with the original iteration of FFXIV (it took replacing the entire dev team for XIV to give us ARR, which is an amazing game). Things are honestly not looking good for SE atm (though the new Star Ocean looks fucking amazing).

Sadly the problem is exactly what DX pointed out, people will still buy this in droves and this will probably be one of the best selling games of the year when all is said and done (there are plenty of people out there giving the demo praise). This won't faze them in the least and they'll continue to pump out sub-par games like this. The sad thing is, as I pointed out awhile ago, the new generation of gamers are ADD riddled kids with no love for story driven games. If the game isn't fast paced, graphically pretty, and linear to a fault they won't buy it (this goes for RPG's, open world/sandbox games sell damn good but only if they're of the GTA variety). The type of games we want, while they still sell extremely well in Japan, sell worth the shit over here which is why we don't get all the awesome RPG's that Japan gets. Plus American's want their RPG's to play like Mass Effect, KoToR, Dragon Age, etc. They want an action based RPG that will keep them interested (while I realize those 3 games mentioned have amazing stories they're the few exceptions).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

10 hours ago, Strider Hiryu said:

(there are plenty of people out there giving the demo praise)

Those people must have really liked Kingdom Hearts then. The only good part of this demo is the last 3 minutes with the Iron Giant fight. The character instantly turns from child to adult and you get to actually experience combat.

If the entire demo was like this I'd have been happy. I'd have still complained that the camera needs some work, but I wouldn't have had as much of a negative view of it. I saw some people said "its such a deeper demo than people realize".. or "its a tech demo thats not meant to show what the actual game is going to be like, just a showing of the capabilities SE has made with the engine." and "this demo shows some of Nocht's childhood dreams that will be referenced in the new FFXV anime and not tie into the game." wtf. This demo was not presented to me as a "tech demo". I take it as face value. If this demo is a fraction of the actual game, then it means we'll have flash backs to little kid crap that I have no interest in. And if the game is going to have it's plot broken up over numerous properties like a PS4 game, an anime, a handheld game, a comic, more DLC and then a sequel that actually finishes the plot on a different console or handheld system I don't own *Looking at you Kingdom Hearts* they need to come clean with that now so I can avoid this game altogether. If thats not going to be the case and this will be a stand alone game with a plot all on it's own, I'll be good with that. But after this demo I have far more doubts about this game than I ever imagined I would have. I'll wait for a full game review before I even consider buying this game now.

Btw, instead of playing the demo, watch this video and skip around through it to see what I'm talking about. You'll get to see Nocht running around collecting crystals like sonic the hedgehog collecting rings. And he gets to throw fireworks and attack enemies aka heartless from kingdom hearts with a toy sword and squeaky hammer in an Alice in Wonderland style dream.

The entire demo should have been just the Iron Giant fight at the end and I'd have been pleased.

I'll have to agree that is a rather retarded demo concept especially considering you don't really get a feel for the whole battle system or really any look into the overarching story. I get the feeling that's only a small portion of the game (if it's even in the game, for all purposes this could of just been a proof of concept demo (a shitty one)). The Iron Giant battle looked sweet (though I still don't like the combat system). I know the first demo went over well with fans and it was an actual better look at game mechanics. 

Honestly I agree with you on breaking the plot up and spreading it across different formats, it's retarded and is only a money making ploy (something SE is becoming a master of doing lately). Plus it dumbs games down and forces people to go above and beyond just to get the whole story experience. As far as I know the anime (5 ONA episodes) is a prequel to the actual events of the game and helps set up the world and continuity (I took that almost word for word from the Wiki page on it). Honestly you could probably skip watching it and not really miss anything since, as FF stories usually do, they'll spill almost all past story elements in some sort of long dialog/flash back sequence. I also don't think they'll split this game in multiple titles. Not only has the game been in development for 10 years (originally starting off as a much more interesting game called FF versus XIII with a completely different concept) it wouldn't be financially sound to split a game like this into parts (considering the debacle with the FFXIII games, that while they sold well most received poor reviews). I could be wrong, we are talking about SE and they haven't been making financially sound decisions since FFXII and the complete rework of FFXIV. 

Its sad to say but I expect we'll be seeing this a lot more in the future from SE with follow-up FF games. FFVII will probably be the first in a jaunt down memory lane and I can see remakes coming for various other titles in the series (we've already seen a remake of FFIV and a sequel to it so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a remake of FFVI and a remaster of FFXII). I don't honestly expect to see a main franchise game coming out for a few years now and that will all be based on how well XV does and how well it's received (FFXIV we'll be SE's new XI and I'm sure it'll live on for quite a few years before they drop it). I think SE is putting all their hopes in XV doing well and if it doesn't that the FFVII remake will help fans forget it if it flops (though the FFVII remake is it's own can of worms and based on their current track record I forsee a lot of pissed off fans in the future).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I watched these two videos this morning and it makes Final Fantasy XV look amazing.. why the hell did they make this little kid demo? I just don't get it. This game looks amazing and that demo was a kingdom hearts little kid crapfest to me.

Any of these scenes would have been an amazing demo to play and have sold me on this game hands down. I'd have thrown my money at Square Enix.

The VR at the end there looks horrible. x_x The game looks great, but the more I watch coverage of it, the more scripted the fight scenes look. Its not all button sequence gameplay scenes in these trailers, but the fights I do see are all melee fights and teleporting around. I don't see any actual strategy to any of the fights to make them challenging. The characters constantly smiling or looking smug gives the impression that there is no actual danger when fighting a monster that should be able to technically kill these small humans in a single bite or claw swipe. Maybe magic makes these humans ridiculously strong? I hope they explain this in the game. Even most of the structures I see in the game shouldn't be able to withstand half the giant monsters they've shown so far from random encounters. If theres really this many giant beasts in the game, most of the cities on the planet should be in an almost constant state of ruin. But its all good.. we have 4 abercrombie and fitch models driving around taking care of everything. They battle giant beasts and get hit with talons the size of polar bears and every one of them has pristine skin without a single scar.. which to me, means they've been this strong since they were children. I just don't get it. :confused:

Heres 30 minutes of gameplay. I skipped around thru it because I don't want any spoilers. Even though these guys are fighting massive creatures and then casually driving away on perfect roads in a luxury car, the thing that is the most unbelievable to me is that mechanic's outfit. XD That looks like high level MMORPG armor she's wearing. XD