Sledgstone

Newest Generation Graphics Cards - Nvidia Pascal

Last year Nvidia introduced the top-of-the-line GeForce GTX Titan X, a $1,000 beast of a graphics card that blew just about everything else out of the water. Well forget that old thing. The newly-announced GTX 1080 is nearly twice as powerful for several hundred dollars less.

Nvidia hosted a special event on Twitch last night to unveil the GTX 1080 and the slightly slower, slightly cheaper GTX 1070, a pair of cards designed to demonstrate what the company’s new Pascal architecture can do. As far as gamers are concerned, that can be summed up in a single slide from the presentation.

This is pretty damn huge. A regular GTX 1070 will be coming out in a few months that is more powerful as a Titan X card and will run on less power. The Titan X costs $1,000 and the the new GTX 1070 will be $379. O_O I'm not going to drop that much any time soon, but I'm definitely going to buy a gtx 960 once I see it for a little over $100. Prices on current gen graphics cards are going to plummet over the next couple months. I read where somebody bought a used gtx 980 ti the other day for $400 used because the 'price was too good'. lol. If he'd have waited another couple months he could have bought this new card retail for $379 and got a card about 1.5 times or so faster.

http://kotaku.com/nvidias-latest-most-advanced-graphics-card-is-faster-an-1775298267

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Once I finally get a job and get back on my feet I'll probably be tossing the $379 down on the 1070 or go with the 1080 but that will all depend on reviews and my friends opinion on the matter since he's building it (he originally told me to hold off on buying my parts until this announcement, not only for reduced prices but to see if these new cards were worth the investment). Can't wait for these to hit the market so we can see what they're really capable of.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I'm tempted to straight up buy that $379 card myself, but thats a pretty steep investment for me at this time. But if I can get any decent card for about 1/4 that price, I'll be pleased. AMD still hasn't announced their new graphics cards yet, but compared to the bombshell nvidia dropped in terms of power for low cost, AMD might not be as competitive. We might get some good price wars going for the low end old gen cards soon.

I'm tempted to get this card as well, but I'd also probably need to buy a new power supply. My current card says it needs a 500w powersupply, but my computer has an energystar 250w. It's never given me problems, but I wouldn't want to chance it with a newer card not working.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

The more I think about it, I won't be playing games in 4k anytime soon or using VR since I'd have to drop even more money on hardware. With that in mind, I should be able to buy a GTX 960 (so I won't have to upgrade my power supply or I'd get a 970) and be able to play pretty much every game I have now at max settings at 1080p. When I eventually upgrade to a 4k monitor I'll definitely get the new GTX 1070 at that point.

http://kotaku.com/amds-new-radeon-rx-480-is-vr-ready-for-200-1779922256

I think I found the next graphics card I'm going to buy. I like Nvidia, but this price point is very impressive and within my budget. $200 for a card the equivalent of a GTX 980 and I won't even need to upgrade my power supply to run it. But I might still go with a nvidia since this will force the price of gtx 950, 960, 970 and 980 way down to compete with this price point. Depending on the sales at the end of this month, I might opt to save some cash and buy a cheaper nvidia 960 4gb (it'd have to be around the $100 mark at this point to compete with the price/power ratio of this new rx 480) and buy one of the 1070s or a newer nvidia lower end next gen cards when they get potentially released at the end of the year.

The early tests are showing the rx 480 to be closer to gtx 970 stats. The nda is being lifted tomorrow with the launch of the RX 480 so all the reviews will be flooding all the game sites tomorrow. I'm really tempted to buy one of these. I've always been a Nvidia fan but this price point is really good for what I can afford right now. The Nividia gtx 1070 is a beast of a graphics card but at double the price I dunno. Supposedly the gtx 1060 will be coming out at the end of this month which is going to compete with the rx 480 but I think AMD will have Nvidia beat with price and availability for the rest of the year in this mid range card market.

Speaking as someone who has always backed AMD I'd suggest going with a GTX, even if it's an older model. Unless they've gotten better over the last couple of years they're shit when it comes to supporting their cards with new drivers (or at least drivers that work correctly). I only say this because I've had nothing but problems with my Radeon in my laptop since I bought it 5 years ago due to shitty driver support. While not all of the blame can be placed on AMD (fuck you Alienware and you're dual video card setups for my laptops, I have to disable my on board intel card to even get my Radeon to work (and it's starting to shit out on me)) there still the manufacturers of this card and to date I don't think their has been an effective fix for the problem I and many others have had (I'm using drivers from 2010, the last set that actually worked for this architecture). I'd still wait to make you're decision until reviews are posted (from reviewers you trust, you know some will have been bought out for good reviews) but I don't think AMD deserves any real backing until they prove they've made strides to fix they're shitty driver support.

Thank you for that info. I've been waiting nearly a year at this point for these next generation cards to come out. I can wait another month or two considering I wont buy another graphics card for probably 3 or so years. I'm going to read up on a bunch of reviews before I order anything. I've also been looking at the AMD and Nvidia reddits but man those are so biased with fans. Its like Xbox vs. Playstation fans. -_-; Alot of people say that AMD's driver support is much better now, only for their latest products of course. Regardless of that I'm still hesitant to buy a Radeon mostly because of Nvidia's Ansel software which isn't getting nearly as much attention as all the graphics card's stats are.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/ansel

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/ansel/technology

This software lets you take insane screen shots and I haven't seen an AMD's equivalent yet.

I'm also hesitant to buy a 1070 for the price of over $430+ when the MSRP is actually $370. Even with tax at a normal MSRP I'll still be dropping $400. For that price I could put that cash towards a gaming laptop. But at the same time, I've used Steam in network streaming before with no problem and with a beefy graphics card I could easily play all my steam games on my PC and stream them all to my laptop to play in my living room with no problem. I'm also getting a steam link so I can play any steam game on any TV in my house. But even doing that should be no problem for a RX 480 card. If I didn't have to buy new snow tires in about 4 months I'd bite the bullet and go for the 1070. Hell, I still might if they ever get the price down to the actual MSRP.

Nvidia GTX 1060 will be available on July 19 at higher than MSRP just like the 1070 and 1080 because there will be yet another founders addition that will keep the price inflated at retailers:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-unleashed-249-usd/

http://videocardz.com/61917/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-to-cost-249-299-usd

Depending on the benchmarks, I'll get the GTX 1060. I'd like to get the 1070 but I don't need 4K gaming and I'm a bit tight on funds. Assuming a $249 version of this card will actually be available tho. If its anything like Nvidia's other MSRP announcements this card will actually cost $300 and $350.

$300-$350 isn't really that bad but then again when you're on a budget it can mean a lot more. Honestly though I never figured these would cost exactly what they said they would. MSRP's are rarely, if ever, followed to the tee. There's always a mark-up based on who you buy it from and how much they want to make off the sale.

The 1060 isn't really that bad of a card but for what little upgrade you get you're almost better going with the 480 for price alone (then again is it worth the headache that comes with dealing with AMD and their sub-par driver support). The only reason I'm going to go with the 1070 when I finally get around to it is because I already have that money budgeted (well I did, kinda dipped into that fund to pay bills now) and it's roughly the same price as the card my friend was originally going to put into my computer. I honestly don't care about 4k gaming but it's nice to have the option should I decide to do it (but that will be a long way down the road, 4k monitor prices are atrocious (and I want two monitors) and I'd probably have to switch out most of the parts for my computer to even run 4k games (it won't be high end, I went for middle of the road)).

My budget is going to start putting a hurt on me soon. $400 for new snow tires, $400 next month for 6 months bulk car insurance, new graphics card.. ehh.. at least I have a good chunk of fuel oil saved up for this upcoming winter. Along with getting new cellphones last weekend for $200 (2 phones with otter box cases), I can't afford to go for the 1070 at it's price range. I'll order a 1060 on launch day if I see it for $249. By the time I get a new 1440p or 4k monitor two years from now, the next generation of graphics cards will be out and an equivalent of 1070 now will be the next $249 card then. And even then I probably won't be upgrading for another 3 or 4 years from now. I need to keep saving up for a down payment on a house.

I finally ordered my new graphics card. I bought a Geforce GTX 1060:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500403&ignorebbr=1

I had a 10% coupon too. :D I'll get it this friday. Its a great size for my case and it only needs a 6 pin connector. I wont have to upgrade my PSU and it'll fit in my case easily. :D

Just a heads up for anyone using windows 10. I learned yesterday that you have to set Windows to not automatically install drivers and to then set windows to ignore specific windows updates to prevent driver installations. This link explains how to do it rather easily:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3fdcqw/upgrading_to_windows_10_read_me_first/

After installing my new GPU, I installed the latest driver from Nvidia. Windows 10 however will still want to install the latest graphic driver for you. This could be helpful on devices like a laptop where you would be using an integrated GPU. Windows could install the newest drivers and everything will work fine, but for desktops the latest graphics driver is literally the latest one just released and hasn't gone through all the windows authentication crap to be included in a windows update. So to prevent windows from attempting to install a driver later on, follow these steps and set that specific update to hidden and windows 10 won't recommend installing it again:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

While this is certainly amazing and everyone is like "PC MASTER RACE" I find it funny how pretty much no one will use this in a lot of competitive games because of the advantages of lower graphic settings gives at times. Like in PUBG everyone runs lower settings to find people hiding in grass that is only visible with higher settings.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!