Myk JL

Warcraft

I looked at the cast and that one orc is Durotan, so that baby must be Thrall. They could easily make this into a series of movies. :D

I'm glad they're doing this movie right by starting at the beginning of the lore. Warcraft lore is easily as big as Lord of the Rings. Hopefully the movie is good and we get sequels with with elves and undead.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Its always weirded me out that his father is a brown skinned orc and he's green skinned. The green skin didn't come about until the clans drank the demon blood of Mannaroth which Durotan and his wife didn't drink so how in the hell is he green?

Depending how well this one does there might be a series of movies. From the cast list it seems they have all the major players from the first game (from Garona to Medivh) so we might get a faithful retelling of the first game to a point (Durotan's story wasn't written when the first game came out so that looks to be retconned in). I'd like to see how they'd pull off the Warcraft II story line (mostly because some of my favorite characters come from this time frame).

Sadly Warcraft lore is only starting to get as big as LotR lore but Blizzard seems to find more pleasure in rewriting all that lore to fit in for their plans for WoW. I know they're trying to call Warlords of Draenor an alternate universe setting but they've changed so much that as it stands now the first war never happened (or at least not in the way we experienced it). I just hope, for the sake of these movies, they stick with the original lore from the first three games.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Hmmm, that trailer has my interests fully peaked. Really want to see this now, especially since that video confirmed that Medivh, Garona, and Gul'Dan are in it. Sadly I don't think I'll be able to see Travis Fimmel as Lothar, I'm just going to continually think Ragnar is on screen.

God watching that video reminds me of why I quit playing WoW, so much of that lore was thrown out the window when they got to Burning Crusade and the following expansions its not even funny (Dalaran for one, it was shown being destroyed but it's magically back).

I get the feeling that everyone is going to be screaming Ragnar when they seem him on screen. Honestly, you can't unsee or unhear his Viking speak once you've seen Vikings and like DX said he pretty much carries the same mannerisms as he did for Ragnar in this.

Vanilla WoW was great (1-60, 40 man raids, some of the best instances the game has ever had, and was honestly all around well done. Vanilla WoW is by far the best MMO I've played (FFXIV is my favorite but it has plenty of issues that need to be reworked)), sure they did rewrite some of the lore during it but it was honestly not that noticeable and was forgivable. TBC's rewrites weren't that bad either and it remains the best expansion for the game to date. Wrath pushed what I was willing to accept and I stopped playing it a month before they let you kill Arthas (I'm sorry, the Lich King is the most powerful being on Azeroth with powers rivaling that of the Titans yet 25 mere mortals can walk in and destroy him like he was nothing. I couldn't take that so I quit offering Blizz money for a shitty MMO with shitty lore rewrites and throwing out so much lore).

Star Wars screw up is nowhere near as bad as WoW's but it's bad. The only thing Disney did was throw the lore out and stated it was AU. For me it's still canon and everything from TFA on will be considered AU for me. You can't do that with WoW because Blizz fundamentally changed how the Warcraft world works now and have (as of Warlords of Draenor) completely rewritten the events of the first war making it as if it doesn't happen (the Terminator time travel problem is starting to exist in WoW now). Legion looks to further this problem and I think it might actually kill WoW for good.

Yea he's dead, there's still a Lich King but the Arthas version is dead (I won't go into it more then someone else picked up the helm and started wearing it gaining control of the Scourge). Honestly when WoW was released I pretty much gave up hope on Warcraft 4 (kind of like how TOR pretty much killed the hopes of getting a KoToR 3) since all the major plot points the game should of covered have all but been covered now in WoW.

Oh yea Illidan is dead (you kill him in TBC), Deathwing is finally dead (apparently we didn't kill him in Warcraft 2 like we were told we did, yay for retconning), we've met and defeated an actual Titan (yes, this happens in Wrath), 2 old gods have been killed (gods we never even heard of before WoW was released, there's apparently 3 more), Panda's exist (as I'm sure you know from the trailers for Mists but Brewmasters are not a playable class (fuck you Blizz)), Grom Hellscream is alive again (yay for Terminator time travel theory, though I think he dies again in Warlords but I'm not sure), Thrall is no longer the Warchief of the Horde (he stepped down for Grom's son who eventually went nuts and was imprisoned, now Vol'Jin is the Warchief (Grom's son does escape and cause the events of Warlords)), Cairne Bloodhoof is dead (sad day for me, such a peaceful soul cut down for no real reason) and Jaina is now bat shit crazy. Yea, I'm pretty sure that kills any hope for a Warcraft 4 or another RTS Warcraft in general.

Well holy crap. I'm sure vanilla WoW must have been great.. but they'll never make a new Warcraft RTS sequel again now. ;_;

(btw, i found a new bug in the forum software, on my phone my last post shows my angry smilie as a heart/in love smilie. wtf. lmao.)

Sounds like they were trying to make Warcraft into a Lord of The Rings style movie but failed. They should have hired Peter Jackson if thats what they wanted. I can understand why the movie went with everyone speaking english instead of using subtitles for the orcs, but they would have been speaking orcish in Warcraft 1. They could have had some magic casted on the humans to understand the orcs or something as an excuse, but to think that the same language developed on an entirely different planet is pretty absurd. :tard: I don't necessarily agree with the author of that article saying the movie should have been more campy. Sure Warcraft has some good humor in it, but it could have easily been pulled off as a serious LoTR movie. But if this movie was made with a balance of action and humor like Guardians of the Galaxy, it could have been epic.

The orcs speaking English shouldn't be such a disconnect for him or others in general, we get it in a lot of stuff these days it's not funny (take anime for instance, there's more then a few shows that all you hear is Japanese yet those characters are speaking Russian, English, Chinese, etc (yes I'm looking at Black Lagoon, you're in Thailand god damnit. Not everyone in Thailand speaks Japanese)). That can be easily over looked (I mean in the games they speak English as well, there is no disconnect in languages and there never really was until Warcraft III and even then it was mostly for the Night Elves) because there really wasn't an Orchish language developed for the orcs or any other language developed for the other races (this is Blizzard we're talking about, not Tolkien who spent years perfecting the Elven language).

Warcraft, at least when it originally launched, had some pretty serious overtones in it. Yea there were bits a humor here and there but the story was always serious. The Orcs were invading Azeroth under the orders of Gul'Dan who, at the time, was serving the Burning Legion. Medivh, under Sargeras's control, allowed the orcs through with the construction of the Dark Portal. The entirety of the first game was the Alliance fighting for survival against a horde of unstoppable savages trying to kill and take their lands. Don't really know how that could of been more campy or humorous. Plus most of the humor from the RTS games came from clicking the units multiple times and getting their joke voice lines (I honestly don't remember there being an humor in the actual story lines presented).

I think the movie's main failing is the Durotan story. While I think Durotan was mentioned in the lore at the time (I don't remember, been years since I played the first Warcraft game) he didn't have any significant role in the actual series until Warcraft III where he's used to give Thrall a backstory and a reason for bringing the horde back together in the old ways. Writing his story into the first games story seems to have added more to an already convoluted story. They should of focused on the major players of the first war instead of bringing him in (though I do want to see his story as it's never played out in the games and you only really get to learn about him in the novels).

I still plan on watching this. The trailers have all been rather entertaining and honestly it's not like they can really ruin the games or lore for me. Blizzard already did that 6+ years ago by rewriting a lot of that lore themselves with WoW.

Yeah the speaking complaint isn't really an issue to me, the rest of it is disheartening. They could have just made them speak orcish to each other and English to humans kind of like how Star Trek does with Klingons or when Spock is speaking with his dad. 

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Alot of the humor in Warcraft was subtle but plentiful. Mostly modified or direct quotes from movies, games, etc:

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_pop_culture_references_in_Warcraft/W123

Thats why I was thinking more of a Guardians of the Galaxy kind of humor. Keep a fully serious plot, but keep some references in there for the kicks. Then again, a Warcraft movie having a quote from Army of Darkness might get them sued, while in an old game its no big deal at this point. lol. I also remember Goblin Sappers were pretty damn funny at the time.. But putting suicide bomber humor into a movie would definitely not sit to well with audiences.

I'm still looking forward to watching this too. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it regardless of reviews.

My main thing for this movie is it a complete retelling of the first game or is it just a part of the overall story (I mean there really hasn't been any news on whether there will be more then one movie in this series, we can assume so but there hasn't been any concrete news on it and if there is will it be a rap up of the first war or will we move into the second war). I only want to know because I'm extremely interested in seeing their take of Medivh's death and how Garona kills King Llane. Which is another thing that bugs me. He claims to be a fan of the series yet doesn't know that Garona is half-orc half-dranei (which I realize was brought to our attention in WoW (since the Dranei weren't part of the lore at the time of the first games release) but it's still part of the lore now). It's a minor complaint but putting half-human in there just bugs me (even though I don't know how happy I was to find out she was half-dranei (seemed forced for story purposes but makes more sense then her being half-human as humans didn't exist on Draenor prior to the second war), should also be noted she has a kid with Medivh who took his place as Guardian of Tirisfal).

I don't know if I should be saddened that I know this much about Warcraft or not.

Lmao. I didn't know any of that and I only vaguely know the characters you are referring to. XD I don't remember any plot from Warcraft 1 except for the fact that Orcs had to leave their dying world and they came to earth to take over / take land to inhabit. If this movie is based on only WC1, then they could do anything with the plot and it'll be good for me. But if theres some WC2 and WC3 mixed into this, then it could be trying to cover way way too much in a single movie.

After watching this I can honestly say I feel a little better about this movie considering one of them is a huge Warcraft fan and the other isn't but they both liked the film (plus I trust their reviews, they're generally more level headed then most other reviewers).

Heh, I honestly didn't know most of those names I mentioned until I played WoW (I hardly remember playing the original Warcraft outside of Medivh's death and a few other points of interest, everything I know about it now was from reading up on it). WoW introduced me to the overarching plot that connected the first three games and got me extremely interested in what caused the events that lead to WoW's original starting point (4 years after the end of The Frozen Throne). I remembered the majority of WC2 from having played the hell out of it on my original Playstation (back when they used to port RTS games onto consoles, wasn't the greatest port but the game was still fun as hell) and WC3 was still fresh in my memory since I had only recently finished another play through a month or two before WoW's release. It's funny how a game that spent more time rewriting this established lore made me and many other players go seek out and read all the established lore (plus the game itself contains a lot of this lore if you know where to look).