DeathscytheX

Star Wars: Battlefront

Sadly they'll never make it like a BF game. Too many overly nostalgic fan boys will cry about it being a reskin. -_-;

Walker assault def need some balancing. The uplink times need to be reduced drastically or AT-AT armor needs a heavy nerf. A lot of people don't like the fact that imperials have tie fighters, but without them, they would be no defense against snow speeders. 

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

There needs to be a big balance change to walker assault. The rebels hardly have a chance. When the fight first starts, all the x-wing pick ups are directly in the line of fire with the at-at and at-st, while on the imperial side has a quick at-st pickup behind the walkers and shielded on one side with a cliff face. I've seen 2 tie fighters and 2 tie interceptors while the rebels only get 2 x wings which spawn their pickups in enemy territory shortly after the fight starts and 2 a-wings and 2 snow speeders? that I never got a chance to get into. I've never seen more than 2 air ships for the rebels in the air at the same time.. those a-wings are beastly as hell when ramming. I was in a tie fighter and an a-wing rammed straight thru me and took no damage while I exploded into shrapnel. The tie fighters hit boxes are way too small. I had a hell of a time hitting them when they were coming straight at me even with the aim assist. I hated playing as rebels, 3 different matches I'd spawn with storm troopers directly behind me. As a stormtrooper, you hardly have to play the objective and instead you can run the outer rim of the map and get right behind all the rebel spawn areas. I got easy kills when 5 guys spawned right in the same area I threw a grenade at. I was only trying to kill 2 ppl and everyone kept popping right there. XD I even had some guy spawn right in front of me. If he'd have spawned 2 seconds later he'd have had the drop on 8 of us, but I simply mowed him down.

I don't know how some ppl were doing it, but I've seen some at-st's running through the map faster than I thought imaginable. On foot I couldn't even keep up with them to provide support or use them as cover. I love getting in one of those, they wreck everything. :D

I agree with you strider, it is a bit too arcade-y. I knew it would be but it seems a bit too much. Most enemies pick me off from huge distances with regular blasters. I said I wouldn't have a problem with range, but holy crap everything can kill you from distance. I was going to team up with strider this afternoon but my brother was on and I joined up with him. Since we don't have squads it seems a bit pointless to party chat about the match when you can't spawn on anyone other than the partner and you have no way to easily identify a friend on the map aside from the partner. Along with the quick turn around of dying/respawning theres no way to organize an assault. Thats the main reason why it feels to arcade-y for me. If there was some more squad team work involved I'd have loved it. It doesn't have to have squad buffs like bf4, but I'd like to be able to get some team work going.

I got to play skywalker once, but I immediately found myself head to head with vader and we killed each other.

The solo survival mode was fun, but since I didn't take the second card load out with the ion torpedoes, that at-st wave took me 10 mins of cat and mouse fighting. It went to 6 waves for me tho before it cut out and said that was all I could do for the mode.

Drop zone was fun, basically domination mode except with only one capture point that keeps moving around the map. I didn't pre-order this yet and I know both my brothers will have this game, but I don't like the partner only system. If there were squads I'd be much happier with the game.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Vader is really slow. He basically has no sprint. I also noticed Luke's force push range was nerfed significantly from what we've seen in the trailer and alpha footage. Doesn't seem to be much point in it. Luke can get around the map a lot faster by jumping and using the R1 dash. Vader should have this attack and Luke should have the saber throw.

The AT-STs are monsters now that I've use them enough. You really have to stay out of tight areas. If you end up on a valley like area, everyone just pops ion blasters on and its end of story from there. Keeping your rotation fresh on the L1/R1 is key. I'll wait for groups to pop those, and use the standard attack for stragglers I see running around.

I think the game is a blast, but if it wasn't Star Wars I don't know that I would like it as much. On top of this, I don't know what DICE has against a full map playlist rotations. The way that its set up, you can only choose a game mode and keep playing the same map until you want to do another game mode. That's what aggravated me about BF4 when new maps came out, they were all on their own separate playlist. Now that I'm level 5 and got the heavy blaster, There isn't much for me to do with the beta. The squad thing is a letdown. I didn't realize you couldn't squad up until you guys said something about it. Squads would give the Rebels a better chance at winning Walker Assault. The spawns are COD bad. My first match today I spawned into 2 orbital strikes and then right in font of an AT-ST... 0-3 within the first 10 seconds of the match. It was very frustrating. I've also bottlenecked the other team into their spawn as well. The arcade feel comes from the battle pick ups... they are really like the "kill streak" rewards for this game. On a match where I don't get any pick ups I'll get 15-20 kills... but sometimes I'll get a hot match where i get 2 hero pick ups, an AT-ST, and an AT-AT... I'll get over 40 kills these matches.

I might wait on this game. HoT is going to take up a lot of my gaming til at least after the new year.

The one thing I really enjoy about Walker Assault is the air vehicle play. DICE has finally made a game where I can be a pilot (I have yet to master piloting in BF4, it's just so freaking hard for me to get the hang of). I'm an absolute monster if I get an Interceptor or an A-Wing. Sadly I never seem to get the power-ups when there down.

I was severely disappointed with the lack of squads. DICE is known for Battlefield, a game that takes squad play seriously, yet they make Battlefront a partner system. This makes absolutely no sense to me as you know in SW stormtroopers always moved in squads of 5 or 6 and never acted alone. It's just confusing why you wouldn't put a squad based system into a game that's all about working as a team to take and keep objectives. Plus how the hell do you coordinate an attack on an uplink as the imperials when you can't even communicate with the rest or your team. DICE really dropped the ball here and I really hope they get enough feedback to make them see their failure here. Squads are essential to make this game so much better and they better see that or they'll probably loose a lot of potential players (then again I've noticed almost everyone treats Walker Assault like TDM and are just trying to get kills).

I'll keep my pre-order for now unless something else pops up that I really want. I've got plenty of games to play but Battlefront should satiate that need for shooter based combat until The Division hits (and honestly BF4 has turned into nothing but custom server games and is getting rather boring).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I can usually get 1 kill with any air vehicle before I get taken down, but I'm better at piloting in bf4 than in this. Did you notice the directional pad buttons are evasive maneuvers? Pretty slick moves but it throws me off a bit not knowing the moves yet.

I'm still strapped for cash so I might not even preorder at all and buy it on release or shortly after. If the add squad support I'd be much more excited about the game. I still wish there was a campaign. :/

Looking at the reddit, I agree about the hero system needing a buff... One of two things needs to happen. The health drain needs to go, or it needs to be slowed drastically. I'd rather see the first.... if anything the spawn needs to be fixed.... spawning at the line with Vader, you'll lose a good 25-35% of your health before you even get to where they action is at once its reaches the second line.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/features/game-modes

Supremacy has me sold. Walker Assault is their showpiece mode, but supremacy has a map rotation and suits my conquest needs. They should have had one map for this in the beta as well imo. I just hope they add squads.

I'm looking at Fighter Squadron intensely because I love the flight mechanics of this game (easy to use and understand, right up my alley since I hate Battlefield flight controls) and even more so because we'll get to fly Slave 1 by the looks of the trailer (gah my fanboy side is starting to come out). Cargo sounds like it'd be fun too.

Yes they really need to add squads because without them this game is going to suck massively for playing with your friends.

Edited by Strider Hiryu

Well from the trailer, I can tell there are more than just Hoth for Walker Assault.. This makes me happy. My intial fear was that each of the games maps were stuck in a single game mode. Supremacy will most likely be my favorite game mode, but I really enjoyed WA for what it was. I look forward to trying it on different maps.

Right now I'm concerned that Boba is going to be the most OP hero because of his mobility alone. He'll be able to travel fast form his spawn and start lighting fools up. They really need to address the hero spawn issue.

First Impressions:

Walker Assault: Way too heavily favored for the Rebel Alliance now... Hoth is balanced, but Endor, and Sullust are insanely unbalanced. Endor only has 1 walker and the rebels can choke point camp the uplinks... Sullust is just a shooting gallery for the Rebels to hang back and pick everyone off with the longer ranged weapons.

Supremacy: Great when you have a good team.... complete shit when your team plays like its blast... I like this mode, but fuck, so many shitty teams losing so fast because they are too cowardly to PUSH.  Screw your K/D push for the F'n objective!!!

Blast: TDM... nuff said. No heroes, no vehicles, and crappy battle pickups. orbital strikes are a rarity along with infantry turrets that would be perfect for this mode... instead you get the shitty blaster cannon and refresh card 80% of the time... enjoy getting flanked immediately on blaster cannon. The map with the Millenium Falcon in the middle that isn't the snow map is so unbalanced. If your team knows how to control the map by getting a few people to camp the top of the Falcon, it's over. I've lost and won 100-teens score. Its BS

Weapons: Han's Blaster the DL-44 is a beast in small team games. Its a late unlock but was a premium preorder edition day one advantage. The RT-97C heavy blaster is the overall king. The DTL-19 heavy blaster was boss in the beta, but this thing has better damage and can ADS. For big map modes this is my weapon of choice. The T-21 is my weapon of choice for blast.. it does the damage of the DL-44 at mid-long range with the same slow fire rate... you wont win close range, but you'll dominate at every other range. I get rekt by the EE-3 alot, I cant wait to check it out.

Star Cards so far: I don't have any traits, but I look forward to them. Homing Shot is the Noob Tube of this game.. I love trolling with it. Impact grenades seem good at first, but they blow up on miscalculated tosses and they rarely get double kills. stick with barrage or thermal detonator for mutli-kills. Homing Shot requires some patience to troll with.

Battle Pickups: I can't fly so those don't appeal to me... A-Wing is complete bullshit IMO... They can ram AT-STs and insta-kill them while they survive... this needs to be fixed. Ramming an AT-ST shouldn't result in no penalty. I don't like the blaster cannon, but I do like the Thermal Imploder which is an OP nade that can't be avoided if caught in its radius. Orbital Strike is great if you hit a good spot. Smart Rocket is a great RPG for a double kill... the infantry turret and vehicle turret shine in there respective game modes... but the droids reign supreme IMO... they have the power of a turret with a mini UVA pulse ever so often to spot baddies behind walls. 

Heroes: Han Solo and Boba Fett are the best.... they shoot blasters and can kill from blaster rangers very fast... they have a lot of armor too. Luke and Vader don't have as much armor because of there force powers and saber reflect... screw that. I haven't tried Leia or Palpatine yet... but I don't feel the need to. Solo and Fett can take a lot of punishment and kill the fastest... unless they are nerfed, there is no reason to go any other route.

Sullust Walker Assault favors Imps in my opinion. I've never lost an assault on it as an Imp as long as your team knows what they are doing (and you have me as Boba Fett, I absolutely own that map as Boba). Hoth is more balanced and I've seen both sides win (at least while I was on them). Endor is a bitch and favors whatever side can get the high ground first (I lost as Republic the only time I played it), this is probably my least favorite map for Walker Assault. The only match I did on Tatooine made me think it's Republic favored since my team lost but I yet again wrecked face as Boba (my god the guy is OP).

I'm going to be trying out Supremacy and Fighter Squadron tonight since they seem like they'll be fun (plus Fighter Squadron just keeps calling my name, did I mention I love the flight mechanics of this game).

Boba is a beast in this game and I sense a nerf incoming for him. Not only does he have a ranged attack he has a Jet Pack to get around faster, a Flamethrower for close range attacks, and he can shoot a rocket out of his jet pack that's an instant kill if it hits you. Plus the guy is packing AT-ST armor because he can take a huge beating before he finally goes down. Did I mention his blaster can kill in 2-3 shots depending on where you hit an enemy. As much as I'd hate to see him get nerfed it's going to happen. I haven't tried Han but if he plays like Boba I can see where he'll get nerfed. Palpatine is a beast if the person using him knows how to (I've been wrecked by him more than once) and Leia is more of a utility hero as she drops a pretty powerful squad shield (she's a pretty easy kill though). Honestly Boba/Han are the best heroes in this game with Luke and Darth bringing up second if you know how to use them (I'm pretty good with Luke but suck with Darth).

I'm honestly impressed with the game overall. I'm still a little pissed that they didn't put squads in (still that damn partner system) but it's still fun as hell.

Endor... clipping, clipping everywhere. Walker Assault on Endor gives the rebels the advantage IMO. The first uplinks are easy to keep up and get max y-wings on the first run. I have yet to be empire on that map.

Han can't fly, but he can kill anyone in 2-3 shots at any range. His big blaster shot is very strong and his shoulder charge is great for tunnels and tight corridors. Boba has an advantage with his rocket though. Damn thing took me out on my freshly popped blaster cannon.

Han is a beast I'll give you that. I got the chance to use him last night in Supremacy. Even though his blaster is slow firing it packs a punch and with his Rapid Fire ability you can wreck a group of people like they're nothing. I still prefer Boba but as a Republic hero he'll be my go to from now on (until he sees a nerf much like Boba).

Yea, after playing Supremacy last night I definitely have to say Endor is Republic favored no matter what game mode you play on. It just seems to be made for the Republic to wreck the Imperial's faces. Quite honestly I hate Endor as a whole and cringe everytime it comes up for play.

Fighter Squadron is a blast. I know you hate flying in this game but you should give it a shot because it's a really good way to learn the flight mechanics. I will say this though the Falcon and Slave 1 are extremely OP and extremely hard to shoot down. It's like you're shooting BB guns at them when you try to damage them because they take literally no damage. My first match I was the Falcon's bitch because the player kept picking on my for some reason. The other good thing is that you're not just fighting players but AI as well so you can go almost an entire match without even running into another player (and still wrack up points for killing AI). This is the reason I say it's the best way to learn the flight mechanics as the AI is pretty easy to kill but they will still try and shoot you down and will try an dodge your missiles/torpedoes and blaster shots.

Edited by Strider Hiryu

Big game modes are starting to get on my nerves. There is no way my luck can be that bad to be on the losing side 95% of the time. I can play blast and win a lot because my personal performance plays a bigger impact on the final results, but on big game modes. I'm always on the team that is complete shit. There is always someone on the other team that gets every hero pick up no matter how many times he dies he is always the hero. Walker Assault and Supremacy are the best source of XP, but it's not very fun when you can't even enjoy a close loss, because you're team is full of people that can barely get 15 kills, and the other team is full of people with 30+ kills with positive records.

Spawns are terrible... especially on supremacy... and that goes double for Hoth. A lot of AT-ST spawn camping goes on. Squads are desperately needed to fix the really bad spawn system. It doesn't help that when I'm paired with some asshat that is never alive when I die, or is AFK in the back of the map. If I'm playing with a friend, they are rarely my partner, which makes things even worse. I wouldn't have a problem with losing so much if people actually tried to play these game modes correctly, and its infuriating to see one team that actually is, and its the team I'm up against. At least with a squad you can turn the tide for a lesser team. :/ When the hero or AT-ST pushes, its either me in that roll pushing, or pushing with the person, and everyone else is hanging back looking for kills.

I'm having to take a little break and chill after I was on a team that was dominating Walker Assault only to have to speeders cable trip both our walkers at the very end during the final Y-Wing phase. -_-

Edit: the partner thing works now, but seems to bug out when more than 2 people are in a party and one isn't playing battlefront.

I didn't understand the partner system in the beta. I could partner with a friend but only if I was in a PSN party with them. But if I didn't partner with anyone, somebody would some how get partnered with me even though we weren't in a party. There were times I wanted to change that default partner to somebody else that had no partner but actually knew what they were doing but there was no possible way to do it. x_x

It looks like the servers work the same way like in BF4, nobody ever gets swapped around and by the time you join a match the winning team is always full and are the same hard core guys that have already been playing on the same team for a consecutive 9 hours. -_-;

Are the hero spawns supposed to be random? Or is there a pattern or a specific point amount / time of the match that causes the hero spawns?

btw I found out I'll be getting this game for christmas. ^_^

I'm not sure if they are patterned or not. I've run into them by chance in really odd locations. I kinda wish they did the same for AT-ST because people have a habit of sticking close to where it spawns which is another contributing factor to people not going for the objective.

The reddit says the Cycler Rifle got a heavy nerf. It's inaccurate, has bullet drop, and does less damage. A lot of people are pissed. It's weird that it's such a high unlock when the Pulse Cannon is a monster and can be unlocked fairly early. If it wasn't for the pulse cannon, I'd be pissed about the CR too, but the pulse cannon is a one shot kill even on the foot when fully charged.

Another problem is map/team rotation. When you join a sever, you're always rebels on the same maps and empire on the same maps. If your rebels on Hoth you'll always be rebels on Hoth every time that map comes up. Seeing as some maps favor one side over the other, this becomes frustrating. They should have done side swaps before moving on to the next map. Hopefully this gets fixed.

As far as I can tell its a random spawn between set locations. I've found hero pickups in the same spots quite a few times and actually have them memorized on certain maps (like Hoth and Sullust). They always spawn in pairs as well so you're guaranteed to always have an opposing faction hero up at the same time yours is up (well if anyone finds it anyways). Sadly the other pickups ups are always in the same spot (and I'm bad for camping the A-Wing and Tie Interceptor spawns because I'm hating infantry based combat since everyone who doesn't have a life is so far up the rank system that they're owning me with unlocks I don't even have, at least air combat you're all equal except when it comes to skill).

Actually Sledge DICE fixed that problem in BF now. You're now placed on teams based on skill and it seems to work a lot better then it used to (though I'm sure it works differently if you join a game in a pre-made squad). It has it's own set of problems but at least this way the teams change up every round (though you might end up on the same side as you were last match if the team doesn't have enough skilled members on it). It pretty much guarantees that if you join the game with high skill you'll be put on the team that's lacking skilled players.

My problem lately is spawn locations because it seems everyone and they're mom is memorizing where the opposing faction's spawn points are. 60% of the time I'm killed shortly after I spawn and it's getting extremely annoying (especially in supremacy where I see it happen almost all the time). They need to either fix where you spawn or they need to randomize it more. I'm also having the same problems DX is having with being placed on bad teams (bad as in not working together, I seem to get placed on the winning side more often then not in Walker Assault though my luck in Supremacy seems to suck when it comes to this). People would rather play almost every game mode like its TDM then actually play the objective (the only exception here would be Fighter Squadron as it's TDM with objectives and of course Blast since it is TDM). At least in BF if at least 40% of the people playing played the objective you still stood a relatively good chance of winning a round. Sadly that doesn't work here due to smaller team sizes and lack of squads (something that really annoys me).

Sigh, as fun as the game is I think I'll be placing it on the back burner for awhile until they fix some of these major problems. As much as I love Fighter Squadron one game mode does not do enough to keep my interest in this game (though Heroes vs. Villains is a blast if you get into a good match) and I'm most likely going to break down and buy an XBone on Black Friday (that or I'm going to get COD:BOIII or pre-order Rainbow Six: Siege).

Edited by Strider Hiryu

Heroes on Fighter Squadron are pretty op armor wise. You're right about the Falcon, I played as it and took so many hits without losing a lot of HP.

The blasters from when you unlock the t-21 and up are vastly superior to what you start with. The EE-3 is my favorite by far because it's burst fire and stability. I've started going ham, ripping off constant double and triple kills since getting it. I'd say the EE-3, T-21B, and DL-44 are the best guns. The DL-44 is the final unlock for those that didn't get the deluxe edition and it's super OP at close range.

So yeah, gear advantage does exist, but they took the BFBC2 route and made everything unlockable before you hit 30... everything after that is just cosmetic.

My personal performance in the game I'm pleased with and I'll keep playing, but the match making needs to be fixed asap.

Good lord the Falcon is a beast. I felt extremely OP in it up until someone suicided me (which is a good way to kill the Falcon). I'd like to get my hands on Slave 1 but I just don't know where the pickups are for the hero ships in Fighter Squadron (I kind of stumbled upon it when I got to play as the Falcon). I have a feeling they'll both be seeing a slight nerf in the near future (most likely to drop their armor down a bit, that's really the only thing that I see that needs a slight nerf).

I'd love to get my hands on the EE-3 since it's pretty much the same weapon Boba uses and I wreck face with it. Sadly I don't see myself getting to it anytime soon unless I stick with Fighter Squadron for leveling purposes as, like I mentioned above, I get my ass handed to me by people using it and those other weapons you mentioned above. Sadly the DL-44 is the go to weapon for everyone in the game because it seems just about everyone out their got the Deluxe or Collector's editions of the game. While I do admit it's a great blaster I prefer the DH-17 over it due to the automatic fire. I just feel the DH-17 is a much better choice for people like me who aren't used to this no ADS style of game play (you're at a severe disadvantage if you ADS in this game and since I'm always in 3rd person for better situational awareness I can't even take advantage of ADS for certain guns and the DH-17 is superior for hip firing). I've also been seeing a lot of people using the SE-14C lately, I wonder how good that 5 round burst is on the gun (must be pretty good since I see a lot of people using it and I've had my face wrecked by it more than once).

I'm quite happy with my performance in the game but I'm just sick of getting into matches where no one wants to play the actual objective. I'll continue to play here and there but I'm not going to go out of my way to play like I have the last couple of days. I just get frustrated by being killed when I spawn in, having to play with idiots who don't want to play the game mode the way it's supposed to be played, and just dealing with the poor choices DICE made when designing this game. If I wanted to deal with all of that I'd of bought COD instead. I'm probably just going to stick with Fighter Squadron since there is really no other point to the mode other then kill AI/Players and shoot down/protect transports. Plus I'm extremely good at it (probably to the point where there's people out there bitching about people like me who rule the skies with an iron fist and kill you shortly after spawning) and it's no where near as frustrating as Walker Assault/Supremacy.

The EE-3 actually works great in both hip and ADS... I guess thats why I like it so much because I can pop off head shots in ADS. I prefer 1st person mode. I played some supremacy tonight and won all the matches... I see where the game mode is headed now and it needs an overhaul.... all the matches we just held the middle point until time expired. That was already an issue on Tatooine, but its spread to other maps. There is no point in being aggressive when more than 50% of the team wont push and you end up losing mid and see a completely collapse as the kill farmers stay content hanging back for each point loss. Might as well keep all the farmers with you and hope they at least defend that single point since they're already there. A few days ago I was in an amazing match where we were down to our last cap point and came back to cap mid and win in the final seconds... thats how I envisioned this mode being, and I'm sure DICE did too, but its not just battlefield players playing this game. The only way they can fix the game mode is to have the point reset if the holding team can't push to the next point within a decent time frame... but that probably wont help either. I hope the expansion packs bring a Rush like game mode, the infrastructure is already there with the Walker Assault uplinks.

I played Drop Zone, and its just not for me... the matches are too short. I played one match and we crushed the other team capping all 5 points without ever losing one.

I've thought about getting BOIII a few times, I bought AW and got bored with it so fast, I'm afraid  to take the chance. COD isn't even COD anymore. I'm just waiting it out for them to become desperate for money and make that COD4/MW2 remaster. I'd play that endlessly. I always have the lingering desire to run down the hallways of Bloc with the M41A blasting people down the hole in the floor of the 2nd level, or sneaking around Overgrown with my AK74u and UAV jammer to throw everyone off that used stopping power only. Popping people across the map on Downpour with the G3, Destroying people with the M16 as they run around the open silo's of Countdown, or endlessly spamming 3 frags, and flushing people out on Wetwork to take them out with my silenced MP5. Owning people with my RPD on Crossfire, running the barely used tunnels on Pipline with my AK74 to get the drop on the other team, or rushing to flip the unbalanced map spawn on Bog with my P90.... man oh man, I could only dream.