Sledgstone

Overwatch - Trailers

Unless people play with friends that already have the game, it looks like trial players will just play each other along with people that just bought the game in the last 2-3 days. I ran into 1 pure level 1 today out of the 5-6 hours I played. The friend I play comp with didn't get on so I didn't play much of it. I almost dropped down into the 2100's but managed to pull my myself back into the 2300s. There are several names I'm starting to recognized, and its astonishing how they keep getting placed on my team. There is one guy that does nothing but play Torb, I don't know how he can say in this tier, I figured he'd drop low and I'd never see him again, but no he gets paired on my team, at least 3-4 times in the last two nights. -_-; It sucks when someone takes Junkrat and doesn't get off of him when they aren't doing well. I lost a match on Nepal because a D.Va just sat in a corner and held down fire. No one would do anything about it, and I didn't have enough DPS to finish her because her whole team would would melt me if I tried, while she melted my dumbass teammates not paying attention. The only way I could have gotten her was with Junkrat's mine, but the guy playing Junkrat never even tried to go after her. My other option was Zarya and Reinhardt... both taken and ignoring D.Va. I was the only one on my team swapping characters trying to deal with it with what I had. Sometimes competitive can be so maddening. I'd like to spend a day on the other side of this stupidity. And its not because I'm up against a pre-made vs. Randos. Comp actually does a decent job of pairing solo q's vs. each other even though there is no true solo q. When I'm with a friend, we get paired up against teams that have a party of 2, or both teams have split parties. 

I spent most my night in QP sharpening more character skills. I might try to get better with Mercy. I had a pretty decent match with her on the new map. My biggest weakness is I'm too eager to get in on the action and with Mercy you can't do that. Sometimes I get too aggressive with Zen, especially when there is a Bastion on the other team. I generally hate playing characters that have to rely on others because I'm always let down while I see opposing teams use these characters and dominate an entire match. I stopped picking Reinhardt completely because no one ever has my back. I'll just have someone flank my back and melt me from both sides while my team just ignores whats going on. I can't play DPS and tank competently, but I'm a terrible support player.. hell even when I'm Zen, I get too caught up into my fights, I forget to heal my teammates.

I'm getting pretty deadly with 76 and Roadhog. With D.Va becoming a favorite pick for everyone, I have to expand my skill set... plus you get more comp points when winning with a character you don't use a lot apparently.

I caught to videos tonight. The first one is my usual Junkrat antics... but I realized I killed the guy playing Solider 76 a LOT with my concussion mine. XD I know he was probably getting really irritated with me.

This second video was a loss, but I had the match of my life with Roadhog. Its the best I've ever done with him. I'm learning not to be so aggressive like I'm playing battlefield. You really have to pick and choose your engagements in this game, and I always have to remind myself of that, becasue thats never how I've played. XD Excuse the tea bag, I really hate Mei, and I had a Mei tea bag me a few nights ago, and I made a point to hook and kill her a lot afterwards, so now I have a bad habit of tea bagging every time I kill a Mei. :P

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Lmao. That poor Winston. He couldn't kill crap. You even hooked him during his ult without having to worry about him.XD

I downloaded Overwatch and was going to play some last night but I had an active puppy and instead I left killzone on the pause screen for 2+ hours. XD

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I just now noticed that it only took 1 bar of health off when he hit me. XD He really needs a buff. He has just about the same range as Reinhardt but way less damage. Roadhog has an offensive character DPS and almost  support level self heal. His weakness is that he's a huge target and he's slow. Stick to corners and you can devastate their front lines. That hook and shoot isn't as easy as it looks, but damn it feels rewarding when you pull it off.

So I lied. I played a few matches this afternoon just to see if I really do want to buy it. Honestly after the shit show that was quick play I don't think I can stomach this game and probably won't be purchasing it now (I can't stomach playing with randoms and with the way my work schedule is I don't see me having any real time to play with DX or any of my other friends that have it). No it's not because of the changes to characters (I actually like the changes to Mercy and in my first game I got Play of the Match with her) it's the community. I realize I'm playing with people who are only trying out the free weekend but I'm seeing exactly what you were talking about DX, people refuse to do what's good for the team and would rather run fucking 2 Widows and 2 Reapers instead of thinking what was best. I'm not griping because I actually like playing support/healer characters in this game but it's fucking retarded to run a healer when there is no tank and all you do the entire match is spend in face down in the dirt (which is exactly how my last match went). I assume the game as a whole is probably better but I sadly can't comment on it due to being stuck with these idiots trying it out. I'd give anything to actually fight with people who know what they're doing. I won't be playing anymore this weekend that's for sure but I'm going to have to take a serious look at the game and whether or not I buy it (with BF1 coming out in October, Mafia 3 right around the corner, and Deus Ex having been released (though I hear it's not that great I'd still like to play it) my funds will be taxed (have to rebuild my savings after that 4 month unemployment period)) or put it into the "maybe in the future" category.

On a positive note I absolutely love Ana and though my first time playing her wasn't exactly what someone would call epic I thought I did a damn good job backing up my teams Mercy with side heals and that nice healing grenade. I also Nano Boosted our D'va and watched her completely wreck the entire enemy team three times (my god she's a monster with nano boost on). I also tried playing Roadhog. It's safe to say I'm terrible with him but he is fun to play once you learn how to use him effectively.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Lmao, and that's just it. It only takes one person with a bad pick to fuck everything up. Last night I pretty much left ever QP match if someone picked something stupid. I can play healer in QP, but I'll be Damned if I'm going to put up with your Torb or symmetra on push the payload. Even with most people playing a roll to help the team, that one or two people picking a character that doesn't belong or a high skill ceiling character like Genji or Hanzo is just going to hurt. Especially when you die and you see your Hanzo standing way in the back just trying to farm kills. 

I've won a few matches without a healer on defense. When I played Mercy last night some idiot Genji kept running to his death. He wasn't bad, but he'd never come back to me for heals. I'm sticking with my tanks or Phara. I'm not running out in that cluster fuck to get rekt by McCree or Roadhog. 

I hear ya Strider. I played about 4 rounds tonight and the teams I kept getting just wanted to play the characters they wanted. I'm putting more of the blame on it being a free weekend because there was at least 1 guy on me team in each match that swapped characters at least 3-4 times in the match just to try out characters. But even then nobody wanted to diversify the team. I always feel the team needs at least 1 tank and 1 healer regardless of the rest of the composition. Nobody chose either. I felt obligated to play tank in my last 3 rounds so I put my Junkrat away and played as Roadhog most of the time. I liked Roadhog and Junkrat from the beta so I vaguely remembered how to play them somewhat ok. I lucked out and had some teammate boosting my strength and another match I had a Mercy giving me heals, but damn that roadhog is slow. After I died it felt like it'd take me about 10 seconds of walking just to get back to the payload and back to the fight. I'm guessing the matchmaking isn't all that great for us because we're low levels. Firing from the hip is throwing me off too. lol. It'll take a while to get the hang of it. I'll play some more rounds later tomorrow but I'm still trying to get through my Killzone game. I won't be buying Overwatch for quite a while mostly because I just bought a couch and extra spending for me is not going to happen anytime soon, that and I will be buying BF1 and that'll keep me very busy. I still wish Overwatch had a campaign. The game starts off with that nice sequence with Winston talking about the world needing heroes again.. but that doesn't match up with the everyone versus everyone gameplay at all. "The world needs heroes... to battle each other in the streets to ensure a car can go from point A to Point B." XD

This game has done wonders for my hip fire game in BF1. XD

Really all the characters except Lucio and 76 feel slow getting back. It's natural habit to want to get back asap. Junkrat, D.Va, and Winston hand gap closers, but it's excruciating watching those arrows turn to skulls trying to get back to help your team.

I enjoy tank play more than any class probably. D.Va is overall my main character to play. I know how to get kills and a lot of them with tanks. 

I was having a good time with Junkrat. Its obvious its all newbs in this match. XD

What I don't understand is how I didn't get a single kill with my first wheel ult. I blew it up but not even a hit marker. :confused:

And I ended up having the same issue my brother told me about with saving videos on PS4. If you back out of the menu too quick, even though you see the confirmation "video saved" it will not save your video. Not a single one of my 5 videos I saved of Roadhog saved. :(

Good god firing a sniper rifle from the hip is excruciatingly hard to get used to but it's the only real way to play Ana as scoping with her takes to long. Learning how far to lead characters to heal/damage them took me a good minute or two but once I got the hang of it I was a healing machine (almost beat out the Mercy in heals). Honestly I'm extremely used to hip firing from my MW and MW2 days as the only real way to play was to hip fire (unless you were sniping). Aiming down sites just slowed you down to damn much so Overwatch feels good to me (though certain heroes need some work on their weapons) due to that (though I will admit my skills are extremely rusty, a fact I found out during the Titanfall Tech Test. I really need a good COD like game to play again to get back my twitch reflexes and hip firing accuracy).

Out of my 8 or so rounds this afternoon I got teamed up with 3 good teams who actually played like they had brains and knew what they were doing (that Ana round I played we lost but my team was extremely close to winning thanks to the Mercy, myself and the D'va) but it was those other 5 rounds that just aggravated the hell out of me (especially the last one where I spent almost the entire round dead due to idiotic teammates). Yea I'm sure the matchmaking can be blamed on the free weekend and the fact that all the higher level players are playing Comp atm but they could of at least let us queue with the normal players. What level you are means nothing more then how much time you spend playing the game so it'd would of been nice to play with people who actually know how the game works and how team comp makes or breaks a match. Then again it is a free weekend so you really can't expect much more than this.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

4 hours ago, Sledgstone said:

What I don't understand is how I didn't get a single kill with my first wheel ult. I blew it up but not even a hit marker. :confused:

That's because it didn't blow up. :P Reaper took it out right as you pressed the boom button. It might still look like it exploded but it won't hurt anyone. When the camera cuts away immediately it means it was destoryed, there is generally a moment of pause as your victims fall. The rip tire has 100hp so it's pretty easily taken it out if you see it coming. I always take it out myself with my Junkrat mine and a Roadhog hook will destroy it asap. If you ever do that again try hitting jump. It won't make much difference for reaper, but it will make it harder for 76 and Zenyatta to shoot at. Plus the tire can climb walls if you hold or tap jump on them.... also make sure you get behind D.Va because if she pops her defense matrix, it would have been all for not. The jump works great on Reinhardt too, because they are looking to turn to what ever side you go through his shield, but they've never suspected up. They may have their horizontal sensitivity ratcheted up to 100, but they don't have their vertical I can tell you that much. XD

The stuff that happens in QP is why I like comp. You have a much greater chance at everyone playing the right roles. As you've seen from my venting, bad picks and selfish players still exist in competitive but healers are picked a lot more. It's rare to not have one, and there are always tanks. Plus you can grind to that sweet gold weapon. 

Ah, that makes sense that its destroyable. I didn't get the chance to play any more today, ended up being too busy and left the PS4 sitting on a pause screen again half the day. -_-; I think the free weekend is good until 7pm est tomorrow. I might get a few rounds in before dinner if thats the case.

I don't know whether to be happy or upset that I didn't see werewolves.

Chances are if they had Werewolves they'd probably look too human, most likely be male, &/or rely heavily on Gamble Boxes.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I played a few rounds of this tonight and is a brilliant move by Blizz. You can only be Solider, Hanzo, McCree, and Ana. While its fun, it sharpens your skills with 3 of the most difficult players to play at the same time. Solider is the only noob character, but hes also a backup healer to Ana.

There is Easy, Medium, and Hard. The normal enemies hit about the same in all the difficulties, but the door you're guarding takes way more damage the higher you go. Junkrat's tire doesn't really hurt you, but it damages the door a lot. On Hard it can only take about 3 tires with no zombies getting through. Reaper, Roadhog, Mercy, and Junkrat are all bosses, and on hard, they hit just as hard as they do in a normal game. Hanzo's ult is pretty ineffective against bosses because the area is so small and the AI they created is way better than it is in a regular bot match. Reaper will go into wraith immediately upon an ult procing, and Roadhog will just move out of the way. Who ever is playing Ana absolutely must debuff Roadhog before he starts healing. The bosses have way more health than their regular counterparts. Junkrat will just sit up on a ledge and spam his nades, Hanzo's ult IS pretty good here along with 76s. 76 needs to save his ult for Mercy though. Once she pops for the final battle, she rezzes all the bosses and will constantly heal roadhog on top of his own healing. It will take the entirety of 76's ult to take her down with some help from McCree. If she had that much HP in a regular game, she'd be so damn OP. XD

So not only do you sharpen your skills with some characters you'd probably normally avoid, it also teaches players common tactics that you often see not being used, like taking down the healer first, debuffing, using Ults at the right times. That or you'd just never beat it on anything except easy. The only flaw is that McCree gets PoTG 99% of the time since you can get maxium kills off an ult with ease, I've seen Hanzo get PoTG only 2 times. 76 always gets the most kills since he requires no accuracy and you can spray and tag everything.

I saw some friends playing the free weekend of Overwatch and hopped on for a few matches. Crazy enough, not a lot of people were picking Sombra. Unlike Ana where everyone wanted to be her every match ever. This is crazy to be because Sombra is amazing. I found myself dominating with her like I've been playing her for hours. I guess if you give someone a sniper rifle in any game, people are going to try and be pro with it and screw over the whole team. -_-;

Sombra stealth abilities give her a speed boost that will allow you get to get behind enemies and harass them. You also have a trans-locator you can leave behind to escape when you're discovered. Think of a more calculated tracer. Its definitely a higher skill tier as there is more to her rotation than quick button presses. While her Stealth makes you completely invisible to the enemy team (No predator silhouette) any splash damage can knock her out of it, and Hanzo's sonic arrow will spot her.  Her trans-locator can also be thrown in unreachable places giving her more vertical movement than Tracer. Not only can you cross large gaps like flying/leaping characters, but you can reach places only Reaper and Phara could get to previously as well. One of my favorite things to do is sneak pass enemies and deactivate all their health pack nodes. It lasts for about 60 seconds, but in a push, its invaluable when the other team can't grab a pack when their healer goes down. Her main weapon is like a one handed Tracer gun that has a bigger mag. It won't kill too many in one mag, and the ones it can, it will take the whole mag to do it. So while she can flank hard, she cant destroy 2-3 enemies like a pro tracer can. What she offers is a shutdown of enemy skills and ults. You can hack a opponent and only their main fire will work, as they will not be able to use their ult or skills for about 6 seconds. Sombra's ult is an EMP that will deactivate everyone abilities within range, ults, and shields meaning you can completely neuter Lucio's ult after he pops it. On paper, I thought she was going to be OP, but she has enough counter and limits to keep her in check. She's very squishy. The only OP thing about her is that she can see enemies through walls that have less than 50% HP and in that state, you can mow just about anyone down with her main gun.

I can't say Sombra is better than Ana, because they both serve a different purpose, but Sombra is better than Ana for those idiots that kept picking Ana when she first hit the scene. Even if you spam invisibility and use her gun only, it's better than people trying to rambo with Ana... and yet here we are. -_-; I hate randoms.

Its been 6 months since this game came out. The player base is still quite strong in numbers. Matchmaking can take up to 2 minutes sometimes, but I think thats more of a programming issue as it can find matches in 30 seconds often, and sometimes all it takes is cancelling the search and restarting it. I play with a group of 3-4 friends more than not, solo q you can find matches instantly but you're often put in the slot of a rage quitter on a team thats getting beat down.

So 6 months later this game is a lot less fun for solo q. I've played it like that sporadically waiting for friends to get on, and its pretty miserable. You can now vote to stay as a team with rando's which technically helps the solo q issue. But its a double edged sword, when it works. The fact that its there, you're most likely going into a match against people that are sticking together. But when you find some good non-mic chemistry with another group, and you vote to stay, not everyone will vote, either because they don't care... or they don't know about the feature even if it says it in the bottom right corner of the screen. Either way, its a solid effort on Blizzard's behalf to try to make a remedy. I think the feature probably suits competitive play more, and its nice they put it on every game mode.

Playing with a group is a blast, and the game does it's best to team you up against another team with the same sized party/party mix. This is probably another reason party queue takes longer in a 3+ group. If I'm in a group of 4. I'll see a 4/2 comp vs. 4/2 or 4/1/1 vs 4/1/1 a good 80% of the time. There will be 4/2 vs 3/3 another 10-15% of the time, and rarely you'll see 4/2 vs. 2/2/2.

Watching one of Force Gaming's video's the other day, he made a good point about buffing and nerfing, and why Blizzard is very careful about doing it. Right now Sombra is in a bad place in competitive, and as much as I love her, shes now the new Symmetra. Shes really a situational character for certain maps. (Mostly choke pointy maps where you can bypass the choke and put pressure on the point to make the other team back off and open it up for a push) Blizzard probably won't buff her to prevent what happened with Ana, who went from one of the worst heroes to a necessity for the triple tank set up. Ana is a monster now if you have the correct comp. I played arcade with a quad Roadhog team and we stomped the opposition at their spawn gate. It's pretty much impossible to miss when you got a bunch of big hitbox characters on your team, so keeping them buffed and building your alt super fast, while healing them and building their ult super fast makes for an insanely unstoppable machine. I've been dipping my toes into the support characters a bit more, and I've gotten pretty handy with Lucio lately. I never thought I could, but with my new customized controller, I can constantly jump and wall ride way more easier now, making it hell for enemies to hit me. 

The Symmetra buff was way over the top. Shes OP as hell now. That shield generator is amazing, and too strong IMO. It shouldn't last indefinitely. It should grant a 1 minute duration max. Right now it lasts forever until you destroy it, but on cap maps she can bunker it into a hard to get place and the defending team has a massive advantage. Sadly I think they'll nerf it a different way by decreasing its AoE or how much shield it gets... which would make it useless. As it stands currently it gives enough shield to take away those instakill burst combos from characters like Junkrat, Roadhog, Genji, and McCree. Arcade is not very fun to play when you have to face off against 3 Symms on maps with big choke points. Thats the conundrum of putting the weekly lootbox on it instead of regular quick play. You actually try to win instead of trying out new characters until you get your 9 wins.

In the end. I think Blizzard has done pretty amazing for its first console IP (D3 doesn't count, although maybe it should since it feels like the original version that was released after its port to PC XD). Kudo's to them for putting up with above average whiny assholes on their forums bitching about how they favor the PC version too much. With new maps and characters in development I'll keep casually playing this game well into next year. I honestly didn't know if it would stay relevant on PS4 after the COD/BF/Halo season started, but its held up, and the content they've poured into it has been better than any other competitive game out there right now.