Sledgstone

E-Cigarettes - Second hand vapor is not healthy

This was a good article about E-Cigarettes. I wouldn't be surprised if, years from now, e-cigs are determined to be very hazardous to everyone's health including people exposed to the second hand vapor. Its kind of disturbing. People can go to the bathroom, vape and leave no residual smell in the bathroom.. then someone else can walk in and get exposed to all their second hand poisons and not realize it at all.

http://gizmodo.com/why-e-cigarettes-might-not-be-as-safe-as-you-think-1589485508

Bahl et al screened 41 e-cigarette refill fluids from 4 companies for cytotoxicity using 3 cell types: human pulmonary fibroblasts, human embryonic stem cells, and mouse neural stem cells. Cytotoxicity varied among products from highly toxic to low or no cytotoxicity.

The authors determined that nicotine did not cause cytotoxicity, that some products were noncytotoxic to pulmonary fibroblasts but cytotoxic to both types of stem cells, and that cytotoxicity was related to the concentration and number of flavorings used. The finding that the stem cells are more sensitive than the differentiated adult pulmonary fibroblasts cells suggests that adult lungs are probably not the most sensitive system to assess the effects of exposure to e-cigarette aerosol. These findings also raise concerns about pregnant women who use e-cigarettes or exposed to secondhand e-cigarette aerosol.

The first and, I think, most important thing to do is that e-cigarettes be included in existing clean indoor air laws which many, many cities are already doing. I believe there are already 150 to 200 cities around the country that have already done this including major cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Getting rid of the "smoke anywhere" claim and also protecting bystanders from breathing second-hand vapor, I think is very important. E-cigarettes should be subject to the exact same marketing restrictions as conventional cigarettes are—we shouldn't have them being advertised on television or the radio. The same kind of licensing requirements places have for selling cigarettes should be applied to stores selling e-cigarettes. And they should be prohibited from making these unsubstantiated claims that e-cigarettes are good for helping people quit smoking or that they are emitting only harmless water vapor.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg