Myk JL

My annoyance of plausibly owning too many PCs

I'm just basically venting....

Prior to Windows XP updates being canceled I was pretty certain I'd end up with 1 or 2 new PCs.

That being 1 that was a Steam Machine & maybe another that could run my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate IF I ever had the nerve to build a PC & The Steam Machine couldn't safely dual boot.

Of course I'm worried of breaking something so it became 2 or 3 new PCs.

The third being a good PC that had Windows 7 already installed. Now I could technically buy a new Good PC, but it would probably require an HD monitor in order to function. (Something I don't have or want at the moment.) I'd end up with near 0 for the rest of the month which is too impractical to even safely do.

So with Windows XP updates coming to an end soon I've now considered buying a crap PC with Windows 7 already installed. So its now 3 or 4 new PCs.

And it just feels so redundant at this point.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

If you are used to using an old computer running windows xp.. then I'd recommend getting a new low end PC with Windows 7 and then use it for the foreseeable future until a potential Windows 9 comes out and then get a really good computer then. Even a low end computer with an I3 and 4 gb of ram running windows 7 is significantly better than my old windows XP system right now. I don't think you'd need an HD monitor. As long as the new computer has the standard monitor connection, the PC should auto recognize it and work fine. My laptop screen is HD. I can also plug it into HDTV with an HDMI cable and it has the standard VGA plug. I haven't tested that particular connection yet, but it should have no problem running on an older style monitor or the crappy LCD non HD one I have.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I got my (first) Windows 7 PC today. I'm glad I didn't need a new monitor.

Aside from better Wallpaper options this feels dumbed down. How could they ruin Control, Alt, Delete? Or remove where the mouse cursor option were? (Edit: Found them! I'm glad I can use inverted mouse cursors again!)

Also I need to remember to get a new spell check as I don't trust myself with proper spelling.... Or not... I think its already correcting my spelling for me.... At least it can't embarrass me about my grammar.... yet.

I'm uncertain if I'll ever want Windows 9 as I'm beginning to miss Windows XP already despite that it was on a crappier PC. I can only wonder if Windows 9 will be a dumbed down version of Windows 7.

Edited by Myk JL

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I don't know about Internet Explorer or Chrome, but Firefox's build in spell check catches the majority of my typos. Ctrl, Alt, Del seems to work about the same for me on Win7. I only used it for the task manager tho when I needed to force close a program that seemed to locked up. Be glad you skipped windows Vista. What a mess that was. I used it on my dad's computer years ago.. I swear everything popped up a security prompt for something.

"This program is trying to access the internet, is that ok?"

*clicks ok*

"Your program is trying to do exactly what you just told it to do, but this requires administrator privileges."

*clicks ok*

"Do you want to try this again with administrator privileges?"

*clicks ok*

"You do not have administrator privileges."

Me: "wtf!? This is the only account on this piece of sh*t computer!"

Yeah... Win 7 has some of those security prompts, but at least they make sense and don't bullsh*t you around.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg